How many guitars do you need?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I have 2 nice electrics, 1 cheap bass, and one old faithful acoustic.

I really struggle to justify adding any more. I take two electrics out when I play at church (or wherever), I mainly play the Reverend these days and the Strat is pretty much just a back-up now. I've had three electrics before and always felt bad leaving one behind, like what's the point in having it if it's going to stay home?

I had a really nice acoustic but felt like it was unjustified because I hardly ever play acoustic outside of home (although I play acoustic at home all the time) and I sold it to add more money to the house deposit. I definitely miss it.

Just wondering about other peoples approaches to this. I guess for me I feel it's important that I try to keep things in perspective - as nice as it is to own a whole bunch of expensive stuff, as a Dad and a husband there are other things to consider. If my family has any kind of lack while I have a whole bunch of nice expensive things that I technically don't really need, I feel bad. At some point the joy of aquiring something new is offset by the guilt of having spent money that could be used for other things that benefit more than just me, hence the eternal GAS struggle and endless to-ing and frow-ing.

Anybody else bothered by annoying morals? I try to suppress them but they keep coming back. :lol:

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Re: How many guitars do you need?

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Morals are just there as a test to see how much you want something.

I guess the more you break the more you get.

MilitantCynic
Ashton
Ashton

Post by MilitantCynic »

My now ex partner couldn't understand why I would need more than one guitar, she would always be there to pounce on me just as I was about to make a bid on trademe. We have now split, and I now own four electrics (one doesn't really count, it's a p.o.s), one acoustic, one bass, two guitar amps, one bass amp and I have a new head in the mail. If you can get your hands on them, and you don't have commitments such as kids or a wife, then I say why not? I still don't have an LP or a Jackson so I've got some more saving to do.....
http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21328

According to this thread, I am a repungent amp stealing douchebag. Disregard anything I say or do ;)

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I have 5, four electrics and one acoustic. A few months ago I had 7 and at one point 8. I've just downsized from a strat,tele, two LPs, a Gretsch, an acoustic, and an Airline for slide, to tele, one LP, gretsch, acoustic & airline. Loved the strat but didn't really have any use for it, and the two LPs weren't quite what I wanted, so those 3 went and the Greco came in, which is perfect for what I'm doing at the moment.

I don't take all 5 guitars to each gig, usually just one or two, and maybe I'll take the gretsch out for special occasions. But either way I get plenty of use out of all of them at home and in the studio.
All I really NEED is one guitar, and if I had to I could get by with just the tele, but I worked hard to pay my way through uni and had a little extra on the side so I went a little gear crazy, but I'm glad because I've finally got a setup that suits me and the sound I want, and isn't just trying to copy my hero's rig (although I still do have a lot of Froosh inspired gear hehe).
It helps not being married or having kids, and luckily my girlfriend is a muso and is in my band so she actually likes it when I buy things haha (she encouraged me to buy my Orange cab when I was broke, and paid for half of it)
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7930 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Down to 4 now, could easily shed two more and still be happy, finding room to store all my stuff now we have 2 kids is the big issue, first world problems eh :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have 12 electrics but would still buy more if I saw one I liked...why?? well why not :D
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

mr_sooty wrote: .....when I play at church, I mainly play the Reverend these days.....

Well I couldn't let it pass, could I?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

9 seems to be just right. :lol:
Konx om Pax

Hamburgla
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Hamburgla »

Particularly in the nice acoustics stakes, I'd use the 'play it around the home a lot' clause as a reason to pick one up, rather than the other way around...

It played a part when I picked up my Maton, and now the same reason will be used if I can get hold of a Singing Wood...

(Respect for putting together a house deposit, though)

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

One needs 15.

I have 14 :D

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

If guitar playing were about "need", this forum wouldn't exist :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

I'll always want more more more, and what i own will never be enough!!
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

dc wrote:One needs 15.

I have 14 :D
:lol: that's a good point actually.....when someone asks how many guitars do you need the answer is always 1 more :lol:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Capt. Black »

As many as you can put your hands on.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 578 times

Post by TmcB »

For Bass I need a Jazz and a Precision because the tone and feel are completely different. A Stingray would be the next but I'm comfortable with the Jazz and P.

On guitar I like to have something with single coils and something with humbuckers.

There's something I enjoy about having two really different instruments but also the idea of having a back is a good one.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz