The EndurNeck

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7728 times
Been liked: 4170 times

The EndurNeck

Post by jeremyb »

Would be interested to try this out for sure, Strandberg sure make some interesting instruments!
I am proud to present the first result of a collaboration with Al Mu’min of the HAARP Machine, and the subject of my first ever patent application, the EndurNeck!

The EndurNeck allows you to play longer, faster and better by providing not only better support for the muscles and tendons of your fingers, palm, and forearm, but also acts as a guide that helps you straighten your wrist when playing the lower frets. Drawing on concepts like Jerome Little’s Torzal Natural Twist and Rick Toone’s Trapezoid Neck Profile, the EndurNeck is a brand new innovation that requires no special tools or techniques to manufacture or maintain.

The key is a cross section that forms an asymmetric trapezoid, leaning towards your thumb at the headstock end and one that leans towards your palm at the body end. This means two things: 1) when playing in a classical pinch grip, the surface that supports your palm moves gradually closer to the bottom of the neck, meaning that it is easier to reach around the neck with your fingers and 2) when pressing your thumb against the upper surface of the profile, its gradually sharper angle near the headstock helps straighten your wrist and the gradually more shallow angle near the body again also helps straighten the wrist and shortens the distance between the fingerboard and your thumb for a more comfortable and relaxed grip.

In addition, the shallow angle at the lower side of the neck at the headstock gives you more room right where the index finger meets the palm, again helping straighten your wrist. Combined with a slight fan of the frets that also follows the natural angle of your arm as you move up and down the neck in a “windshield wiper” motion, you are bound to be completely unconstrained by the physical limitations of a traditional guitar neck. The effect is greater and more noticeable for wider necks.

Together, these components of the guitar neck design all help to reduce the risk of Repetitive Strain Injuries, such as Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and improves your playing as a positive side effect.

The EndurNeck is patent pending and available on all .strandberg* guitars as an option at this time.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Re: The EndurNeck

Post by jeremyb »

Can kinda see it in action in this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaxaKWtsXg[/youtube]
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

That shit'll catch on as much as assymmetrical and offset V neck profiles have.. oh wait.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

If you like that neck, I can show you at least two dozen more that will make your nappies damp.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

That neck looks all twisted to me. Perhaps needs a trussrod tweak and a bit of steam to sort it out. :)

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Serious question, is that 3D mockup from the manufacturer's website? Cos that's the shittiest piece of shitshit I've ever seen if so.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Meh, haven't produced anything usable since the bends.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

This neck goes into the same category as below:

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Looks like someone stuck an artificial leg onto a guitar body....Jesus. I wonder if you can get a 'with pubes' option for twiddling up at the 21st...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

synchromesh
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by synchromesh »

I'm actually getting one of these made by Ola Strandberg; I picked up an Ibanez IMG-2010 body on eBay, so he's going to make me a baritone fanned-fret neck for it, and I've decided to give the EndurNeck a whirl. The bridge saddles on the IMG-2010 are so adjustable that I can get a scale difference of about 40mm across the strings, so with a bit of an angle at the nut as well it should be quite an interesting thing to play. ;)

Then there's the guitar synth side of it; I have a few interesting things to plug it into as well. Can't wait! ;)

Cheers,

John :^P

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Cool, it'll be interesting to see what you think of it when you get it.
Ummm....

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Yeah, let us know all about it. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Agreed^^^^

This neck profile is on my long list of future guitar builds! I've heard of people carving hard cell foam etc to try it out, to me it seems like a great innovation, tuneable to different styles, but probably something that will only be picked up by the minority, too much of the guitar world is stuck in the mud luddite types....

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

I like it.
I also like Rick Toone's stuff - love to have a go one day...