Ben's Acoustic Corner

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Ben's Acoustic Corner

Post by rickenbackerkid »

It was suggested that this site needs an Acoustic Guitar section. 98.7% of the forum disagreed. However, an acoustic thread has got to be good - right?

So here we go, my thoughts on the acoustic guitar:

The acoustic guitar is my first love, even though I play electric more. There's something scary and yet totally freeing standing on stage with an acoustic guitar - either you can play it or you can't. There's no hiding behind distortion or effects. If you want to sound huge, you have to work hard for it.
There's a triangle of awesomehood - The tone of the instrument, your technique, and your heart/what ever is going on inside your brain.
If you can bring those three elements together, you will be flying, making great music and people will love it.

I learn absolutely everything on acoustic first, I know if I can nail the part on an acoustic effortlessly then I can nail it on electric too. I treat my electric a lot like an acoustic, I.E. I never use so much gain that I can't play complex chords. I still try to create intensity on the electric by simply playing BIGGER, rather than just adding another OD pedal.

Gear wise I have a very lovely 1985 Lowden O10, with a Takamine soundhole pickup, and a simple pedalboard with a Korg tuner and a Boss DD3 delay pedal.

Anyway, so why do you love acoustic guitar?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3555 times
Been liked: 728 times

Re: Ben's Acoustic Corner

Post by Cdog »

Acoustics are great... I find them easier to sing with than electric for some reason... its the rhythm thing, I guess I play them quite differently.
I have a Larrivee I bought maybe 5 years ago... can't remember the model but its stikka top and mahogany back and sides, all solid with 2 way pickup system etc...

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

bbrunskill wrote:It was suggested that this site needs an Acoustic Guitar section. 98.7% of the forum disagreed. However, an acoustic thread has got to be good - right?

So here we go, my thoughts on the acoustic guitar:

Anyway, so why do you love acoustic guitar?
For the same reasons you do!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

I like the grab and go quality of acoustics. Don't need to cart round an amp or pedals or any other gear. Also, you can take it to the beach.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

hamo wrote:I like the grab and go quality of acoustics. Don't need to cart round an amp or pedals or any other gear. Also, you can take it to the beach.
Girls like guys that play acoustic...that's why I have mine.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by Miza »

Cdog wrote:Acoustics are great... I find them easier to sing with than electric for some reason... its the rhythm thing, I guess I play them quite differently.
I have a Larrivee I bought maybe 5 years ago... can't remember the model but its stikka top and mahogany back and sides, all solid with 2 way pickup system etc...
I know what you mean re singing and playing acoustic. I think its cause you're doing the 'whole' sound through full open chords? On elec you're doing bits/parts rather than just hard strumming (unless its power chords?) which I find requires more thought.

My 2001 Taylor Big Baby has had 9:1 more use live than my electrics put together. That thing would have paid for itself 10-20 times over in the last decade through the odd live gig, and a whole lot of Saturday morning market busking.

It's easier to find gigs just you and your acoustic (and a PA of course). Elec really needs a band behind it.

In saying that I still prefer playing electric. You can do more with it, through use of different FX, levels of gain/OD, etc. I find it more dynamic. Aco just gets a bit boring after a while.
Nothing to see here.

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

Everything I have ever written, no matter what band I was in , has always been on an accoustic. I've always had a belief, that what you play in your rock band or whateva, you should be able to strip down and play on acoustic. I love them, so much I got my new AS100D acoustic amp no more than two hours ago... can't wait to use it tonight at band prac!
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

I have 4 Baden guitars arriving tomorrow made by the ex vice president of Taylor

If you are interested in haveing a look come in , all handmade and solid timber no laminate

I also have mine at work , nothing on them you dont need no fret markers no strap buttons and no electrics just luvely tone and really obvious craftmanship
right down to the polished bone nut and bridge

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2131 times

Post by GrantB »

I thoroughly enjoy playing acoustic guitar...I have a Guild small body thingy, all solid, it's a joy. My Maton Ec225 cutaway thing is great for live work. I'm now looking at Tricones thanks to BG....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

nzsimon1 wrote:I have 4 Baden guitars arriving tomorrow made by the ex vice president of Taylor

If you are interested in haveing a look come in , all handmade and solid timber no laminate

I also have mine at work , nothing on them you dont need no fret markers no strap buttons and no electrics just luvely tone and really obvious craftmanship
right down to the polished bone nut and bridge
No strap buttons??
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I thoroughly enjoy playing acoustic guitar...I have a Guild small body thingy, all solid, it's a joy. My Maton Ec225 cutaway thing is great for live work. I'm now looking at Tricones thanks to BG....
You'll be looking at 1930's nationals no doubt :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

No need for straps or being able to see where you're playing in the dark. Overrated bro.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Acoustic corner? -bassy.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

no if you want one you fit it ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy6snJQo8N4
Last edited by nzsimon1 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Hot_Grits wrote:Acoustic corner? -bassy.
Badoom tish.