International shipping help

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

^Skitzo^
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by ^Skitzo^ »

I need to ship a Jackson Kelly overseas but the problem I am having is that because it is so pointy it has a very large case which is too big for many of the postal services I have checked.

46cm x 117cm x11cm
11kg

I predict after packaging it will be:

55cm x 123cm x 14cm
12kg

From Auckland to Quebec, Canada.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping large items overseas? Last time I checked DHL quoted me something like $1200. Thanks in advance :thumbup:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7752 times
Been liked: 4191 times

Re: International shipping help

Post by jeremyb »

Get a cheap flight and go for a holiday?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Skitzo, is it a bolt-on model? If so, you can remove the neck and package it that way, it'll be much smaller, and cost less to send.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

^Skitzo^
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ^Skitzo^ »

slash-ed wrote:Skitzo, is it a bolt-on model? If so, you can remove the neck and package it that way, it'll be much smaller, and cost less to send.
Unfortunately this one is a neck through USA model ...or fortunately ; )

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i hate to tell you this but when my ironbird was shipped from canada to Australia it cost 900 AUD.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

^Skitzo^ wrote:
slash-ed wrote:Skitzo, is it a bolt-on model? If so, you can remove the neck and package it that way, it'll be much smaller, and cost less to send.
Awesome! I'd love to see a pic if you can be bothered... just because I'm a fan :) I always wanted a Marty Friedman Kelly, but then I just ended up getting an Ash Custom based on a USA KE with some tweaks of my own...
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

slash-ed wrote:
^Skitzo^ wrote:
Awesome! I'd love to see a pic if you can be bothered... just because I'm a fan :) I always wanted a Marty Friedman Kelly, but then I just ended up getting an Ash Custom based on a USA KE with some tweaks of my own...
so to translate what Ed means.........

can I see a pic and if you can back out of the sale the dibs :evil: :thumbup:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

You may need to go to an international freight broker. We use a company in Auckland called Cyrus International to send our gear. I could get a price for you. I'd need to know weight and value to get a quote for you.

I hadn't seen this before on the NZ Post site ... http://www.nzpost.co.nz/sending-interna ... ized-items
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

^Skitzo^ wrote:I need to ship a Jackson Kelly overseas but the problem I am having is that because it is so pointy it has a very large case which is too big for many of the postal services I have checked.

46cm x 117cm x11cm
11kg

55cm x 123cm x 14cm
12kg

Does anyone have any experience with shipping large items overseas? Last time I checked DHL quoted me something like $1200. Thanks in advance :thumbup:
Can't see any reason why it can't go NZ post International Economy Courier:

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/sending-interna ... my-courier

New Plymouth Postshop didn't know about it though, so I had to stand there insisting they could take it last time I posted a guitar to Aus. They did and it cost significantly less than the DHL quote I got (25%).

^Skitzo^
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ^Skitzo^ »

PlukkyBoy wrote:
^Skitzo^ wrote:I need to ship a Jackson Kelly overseas but the problem I am having is that because it is so pointy it has a very large case which is too big for many of the postal services I have checked.

46cm x 117cm x11cm
11kg

55cm x 123cm x 14cm
12kg

Can't see any reason why it can't go NZ post International Economy Courier:

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/sending-interna ... my-courier

New Plymouth Postshop didn't know about it though, so I had to stand there insisting they could take it last time I posted a guitar to Aus. They did and it cost significantly less than the DHL quote I got (25%).
Hey thanks for the advise I have never heard of this service before but unfortunately they can only cover items up to $5,000.
That will definately come in handy in the future though.

^Skitzo^
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ^Skitzo^ »

NZRS-Dave wrote:You may need to go to an international freight broker. We use a company in Auckland called Cyrus International to send our gear. I could get a price for you. I'd need to know weight and value to get a quote for you.

I hadn't seen this before on the NZ Post site ... http://www.nzpost.co.nz/sending-interna ... ized-items
Thanks that would be cool here are the dimensions:

49cm x 120cm x 15cm
14kg

Dayna
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Dayna »

It's strange huh. I've had 2 guitars sent to me. One from Japan one from us. Both were $120us shippin. Why is it so exp to go other way.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Dayna wrote:It's strange huh. I've had 2 guitars sent to me. One from Japan one from us. Both were $120us shippin. Why is it so exp to go other way.
Because a lot of international shippers don't follow details to the letter. We imported a PRS guitar on it's for a customer. Three weeks in customs due to the abalone inlays and a custom quarantine inspection and a price of NZD$680.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

^Skitzo^
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ^Skitzo^ »

I managed to ship the Kelly out via DHL for $757.62 with insurance and export taxes paid.
Buyer was ok with that so all good and DHL does have superior tracking.
Thanks for everyones advise.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

At least with dhl you know it'll get there in one piece.I'd rather pay a bit more and have piece of mind-had two guitars damaged in shipping.