Recommend me a P90 guitar

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Recommend me a P90 guitar

Post by fuzziebro »

Conway wrote:
fuzziebro wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Soapbar PRS as another suggestion? I'd be going DC Special tho', love the fuck out of those guitars!
Yeah loved my soapbar prs, in fact I think a forum member here has it now...

no love for Jimi's p90 yammy?
What model PRS soapbar? I've got 2 of them - McCarty standard trem and Custom 22 triple soapbar.

to be honest I cant remember exactly, I got it off the sgt back when he was around and it had been modded and resprayed by ash...
I dont think it was a super -expensive model but I loved the neck, nice and chunky but soo playable...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1211 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

What about Jimi's SA50 ?
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 565 times

Post by TmcB »

sizzlingbadger wrote:What about Jimi's SA50 ?
Certainly has raised interest, that's for sure.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

Reverend Warhawk 390?

;)

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Hmmm, here's my situation if you give a crap at all. I like the way the tele plays and feels, don’t like the sound as it’s too thin, want to replace them with P90’s

Options:
1) New pickups in the tele
Pros: Don’t have to sell the Tele, could get the sound I want in a proven, resonant guitar.
Cons: Not guaranteed to get the sound I’m after as the bridge has to be a tele bridge shape so might not quite be the sound I’m after, and I'd have to spend more money than I have available to do this. Another thing is that I'm not 100% that a p90 will fit in the neck route as is. It look like it would but I'm not totally sure. If it can't then this can all piss off. I'm also getting a bit sick of torturing the poor beastie with a soldering iron.

2) Sell Tele, new guitar
Pros: Don’t have to muck about guessing and can get the exact sound I want, can play around with different options, fun times choosing a new one, more money available.
Cons: Have to sell Tele, have to find a guitar that sounds and feels good which will be fun and daunting.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

PlukkyBoy wrote:Reverend Warhawk 390?

;)
Oh yeah that'd be great! Oh wait....

:lol: :P

That's still in forumite hands you'll be glad to know.

I actually would hit a 290, I found the middle pickup on the 390 just got in my way.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

If you don't mind it not looking like a P90, the BG Pure 90 is amazeballs and you can get humbuggy bridges

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1211 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

The only disadvantage of that bridge is you can't go back to a normal SC Tele bridge so its a one way decision. I found that out the hard way on my old HW1.
Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 5.00.40 pm.jpg
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7751 times
Been liked: 4189 times

Post by jeremyb »

GFS mean 90 is amazing as well, but I don't think a humbucker hole is as wide as a tele bridge route so it will look a bit naff :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

TmcB wrote:Hmmm, here's my situation if you give a crap at all. I like the way the tele plays and feels, don’t like the sound as it’s too thin, want to replace them with P90’s

Options:
1) New pickups in the tele
Pros: Don’t have to sell the Tele, could get the sound I want in a proven, resonant guitar.
Cons: Not guaranteed to get the sound I’m after as the bridge has to be a tele bridge shape so might not quite be the sound I’m after, and I'd have to spend more money than I have available to do this. Another thing is that I'm not 100% that a p90 will fit in the neck route as is. It look like it would but I'm not totally sure. If it can't then this can all piss off. I'm also getting a bit sick of torturing the poor beastie with a soldering iron.

2) Sell Tele, new guitar
Pros: Don’t have to muck about guessing and can get the exact sound I want, can play around with different options, fun times choosing a new one, more money available.
Cons: Have to sell Tele, have to find a guitar that sounds and feels good which will be fun and daunting.
There's nothing thin about my Korinacaster which has much to do with the Lollar Special T pups. Fractionally thinner than Ben's Les Paul Junior but close enough to make both guitars occupy the same space. Lollar have voiced them to do the P90 thing. Will drop right in. Make sure you have a good tone pot because the P90 appears with the tone rolled down half way.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

If you want to keep the Tele, I put a Rio Grande Dirty Harry in my partscaster and couldn't be happier with it.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/P ... e=FOR+TELE

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Hey TmcB, I got Mal at Weta to make me a 3 x P90 tele monster with a bigsby. Gotta solid slab board. Maybe he can make you one too?

He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

This won't be a helpful comment at all, but I find my Tele's bridge pickup to be incredibly meaty. It has about as much output as the PAF humbucker in Ben's Robin. Chunkiness to spare when playing through my Marshall. It's a 2010 US Std... I think they used different pickups back then?

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Current thinking: swap the Tele for a strat, put two Phat Cats in, job done.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

Ew, Strat. I reckon new pickups in the Tele. Plenty of fat-sounding Tele pickups available.