Top wrappers unite!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7926 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Top wrappers unite!

Post by jeremyb »

Quite happy with the top wrap job on my Edwards, only negative thing is the string tension seems to be decreased, think I might have to move from my normal 10-52's to 11-56's, anyone else noticed this? Found the bottom string in C# was a lot more flappy on open notes than I'm used to....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Top wrappers unite!

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Isn't that the point of top wrapping?
The best things in life are actually really expensive!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Nope, the main advantage is from being able to screw the tailpiece all the way down onto the body to get more sustain, but maintain a shallow string angle over the saddles for better tuning stability etc...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

But, shallow string angle also means less tension. I would have thought that was more prominent than string stability. The strings are also not set in a grove so can move more freely.

I get the Sustain thing, but I thought one of the other main benefits was less tension? Lets you put a set of fatty's on and still do some insane bending.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

Les_Paul86 wrote:But, shallow string angle also means less tension. I would have thought that was more prominent than string stability. The strings are also not set in a grove so can move more freely.

I get the Sustain thing, but I thought one of the other main benefits was less tension? Lets you put a set of fatty's on and still do some insane bending.
yep this, exactly. One of the benefits anyway.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

I don't really thing it makes any difference to sustain whether you screw the tailpiece right down or not. I've tried both on the Tokai and it seemed the same. So the main advantage for me is the reduced string tension. Had 10-46 on without top wrapping and it just felt too slinky so I chucked some 11-48 on. Didn't try them strung the usual way, but the tension they have top wrapped feels right to me. About the same as my Cabronita with 10-46.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1233 times
Been liked: 1417 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Top wrapping can reduce the tension on the bridge so its less likely to distort, esp. true for ABR1 bridges.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Les_Paul86 wrote:I thought one of the other main benefits was less tension? Lets you put a set of fatty's on and still do some insane bending.
Hmmm not sure why people who wanted less tension wouldn't just run lighter strings?!??!?!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1233 times
Been liked: 1417 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

It looks cool, all that matters to most guitarists.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

jeremyb wrote:
Les_Paul86 wrote:I thought one of the other main benefits was less tension? Lets you put a set of fatty's on and still do some insane bending.
Hmmm not sure why people who wanted less tension wouldn't just run lighter strings?!??!?!
Because... Tone? :thumbup:

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

Like SBadger say's.. it does look cool lol.

I've tried both ways but I prefer the feel of standard set up personally. Same as how I float the trem on my strats. I'll loose a bit of sustain but I prefer the feel. There's not right or wrong, just what you prefer :)

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

I relieve my tension in other ways
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Les_Paul86
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Les_Paul86 »

GrantB wrote:I relieve my tension in other ways
Does every thread mention hand shandy's?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

Pretty much
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

ok top wrapping... less string breakage, less tension (why run lighter strings? they have less tone - allegedly, billy gibbons says no), joe bonamassa (noooooo!!!!) , jimmy page (yessssss!!!!!)
moar sustain.

I'm not going to argue for any of the above, its just something I've always done throughout lp style ownership, mainly because less string breakage, my first tokai was very prone, top wrapped and no breaks though I noticed a definite increase in sustain - Gibbo has always been wrapped so has the Ash so can't comment. Oh and my LP has locking tuners which increases string tension, top wrapping reduces so 10's feel like 10's again.

No comment on this extra ball end thing, the strings I use, the wound bit doesn't come over the top of the bridge anyway, never has.

No more hundys for grant
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.