Show us your Telecasters

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Show us your Telecasters

Post by GrantB »

Compressed air leaves spider web crackle finish as opposed to long natural looking checking. Don’t go there.

Was that finish nitro? You’re right, it probably needed more layers/ thickness to check.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:12 pm Was that finish nitro?
:oops:
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

GrantB wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:12 pm Compressed air leaves spider web crackle finish as opposed to long natural looking checking. Don’t go there.
That's good to know. So what process would leave long natural looking checking?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

codedog wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:38 pm
GrantB wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:12 pm Compressed air leaves spider web crackle finish as opposed to long natural looking checking. Don’t go there.
It's less the process and how you have sprayed the lacquer. I think I have a looong lesson on that somewhere here in the bowels of our forum?

1. Mix the nitro initially slightly thinner.
2. Spray shootloads of layers (10 maybe)
3. Some sanding
4. Lots of drying
5. Bake on freezer at -19 degrees for 30-60mins.

Serves 1
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

GrantB wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 pm
It's less the process and how you have sprayed the lacquer. I think I have a looong lesson on that somewhere here in the bowels of our forum?

3. Some sanding
4. Lots of drying

Serves 1
Ah, I see. It's more about how to apply lacquer to make it relic naturally by freezing, instead of how to relic any nitro lacquered guitars. I have no idea how my Eastman's nitro was applied. I guess that means step 5 still may not produce long natural looking checking.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

codedog wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:52 pm
GrantB wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 pm

3. Some sanding
4. Lots of drying

Serves 1
Ah, I see. It's more about how to apply lacquer to make it relic naturally by freezing, instead of how to relic any nitro lacquered guitars. I have no idea how my Eastman's nitro was applied. I guess that means step 5 still may not produce long natural looking checking.
It's almost guaranteed to not give you the result you want. Manufacturers cannot afford to have lots of checking/cracking so they mix all sorts of goop in the finish.

The steps above are rough, not in order, and missing a bit....but you get the idea. It starts right from fresh wood to have a finish that will check properly.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

very cool but I'm not sure how your partners feel! My wife would think I've lost it if she sees my guitar in the freezer

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

KNNZ wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:01 pm very cool but I'm not sure how your partners feel! My wife would think I've lost it if she sees my guitar in the freezer
Do you have a freezer big enough for set-neck guitars? We have chest freezers, mostly for dog food. They don't mind sharing though.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

You could test the back with some aerosol freezing product, bit of heating in the sun first. Caveat; never tried it myself but this is what I remember reading once.
All mine bar 1 are polyester epoxy, only hammer or heat gun can effect it, not even paint stripper. As for the one nitro I have, it's beautiful as is.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:09 pm
KNNZ wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:01 pm very cool but I'm not sure how your partners feel! My wife would think I've lost it if she sees my guitar in the freezer
Do you have a freezer big enough for set-neck guitars? We have chest freezers, mostly for dog food. They don't mind sharing though.
My freezer is bloody tiny. Barely fitted the Strat body, and I had to remove all the food and drawers. I wouldn't feel good about freezing something with a neck. I prefer them to be straight.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

codedog wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:09 pm
definitely not possible in our fridge freezer even though we have a large double door one, tho I understood it to be a chest freezer but still... trying to explain leaving a guitar body in the chest freezer to my wife "um so the paint can crack and it'll look better..." :lol:

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

IMG_1324[1].JPG
IMG_1324[1].JPG (4.2 MiB) Viewed 1637 times
Fender Ultra
Allparts 60s tele with Fender Professional II hardware. Ebony fretboard, 1960s neck.

The Ultra is way louder acoustically.

Haven't yet wired up the Allparts tele.

7.25 inch radius fretboards feel strange.

There was a fair bit of work getting the Allparts tele done. Filing fret ends, rounding fret board, reboring tuner holes, fitting a nut, coating the neck, drilling the holes in the neck and body, getting a shim into the neck pocket, fitting the weird vintage tele lead socket.
Last edited by werdna on Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

A MJT project tele. Roasted pine hollow body, nice and aromatic .
I went with 50’s tele wiring with the blendable neck pup in the middle position.
A Clapton profile v neck and Kluson hardware.
Very happy with the feel.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Great colour Kev, what's that green called?
Nothing to see here.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Miza wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:25 pm Great colour Kev, what's that green called?
Hey thanks, I’m not sure. I spent very long time getting it right. There were some examples on their site and I just show them the pic. MJT are great to deal with
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius