Show us your Stratocasters!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Voxshall
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: Show us your Stratocasters!

Post by Voxshall »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:46 pm She's back. Decided to heed all your suggestions and get some strings put on it. Because I wouldn't have the first idea how to go about that, I sent it to Grant.

He also tidied up some frets and a few other things. Plays like a dream. Or so I'm told. She's a fantastic leaning guitar.

IMG_20210627_213824.jpg
IMG_20210627_213912.jpg
Dang, that looks good.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:46 pm She's back. Decided to heed all your suggestions and get some strings put on it. Because I wouldn't have the first idea how to go about that, I sent it to Grant.

He also tidied up some frets and a few other things. Plays like a dream. Or so I'm told. She's a fantastic leaning guitar.

IMG_20210627_213824.jpg
IMG_20210627_213912.jpg
It’s a very nice Strat. I am super impressed with the pickups. I forgot to measure them but I wonder if they are slightly hotter than say, real 50’s pickups?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:52 am

IMG_20210627_213824.jpg
IMG_20210627_213912.jpg
It’s a very nice Strat. I am super impressed with the pickups. I forgot to measure them but I wonder if they are slightly hotter than say, real 50’s pickups?
I don't know, I have the height probably set a little low I thought. It's lower output that my other guitars. Jamie had them installed, I think. They're from Don Mare.

Trying to think what is left as original on this guitar. Neck, frets, body, tuners, bridge. I think it has a new nut, pickups, wiring, plastics and now a refinish. It's now pretty much a Partscaster.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:27 am

I don't know, I have the height probably set a little low I thought. It's lower output that my other guitars. Jamie had them installed, I think. They're from Don Mare.

Trying to think what is left as original on this guitar. Neck, frets, body, tuners, bridge. I think it has a new nut, pickups, wiring, plastics and now a refinish. It's now pretty much a Partscaster.
I think having them lower is part of the magic. I wouldn’t change anything…they were hot enough to drive my /13 to break up alone.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

GrantB wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:52 am

IMG_20210627_213824.jpg
IMG_20210627_213912.jpg
They measure 5.86k in the neck, 5.88K in the middle and 6.57K in the bridge, they are modeled after a particular 64 strat with full non spiky trebles without mushing out the lows, out of all the pickups I've tried the closest repro's to vintage 60's strat pickups I've tried are J.M Rolph's, but in that particular guitar the Don Mares were better than the Rolph's which really surprised me. If I was going to get a set of 50's pickups the new Seymour Duncan Bonnie pickups would be my choice, I've heard of a few people comparing them to originals and being blown away by how close they are.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

If anybody's in the market for pickups I'd recommend looking at these. I've a set in the Korinacaster and they're reet good they are an' no mistake.

https://www.qpickups.com/guitar-pickups/stratocaster

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Molly wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:18 pm If anybody's in the market for pickups I'd recommend looking at these. I've a set in the Korinacaster and they're reet good they are an' no mistake.

What mags? I have A2's in my strat (SD's) and I'm thinking I may prefer the girth of A5's.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

IMOCD wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:26 pm
Molly wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:18 pm If anybody's in the market for pickups I'd recommend looking at these. I've a set in the Korinacaster and they're reet good they are an' no mistake.

What mags? I have A2's in my strat (SD's) and I'm thinking I may prefer the girth of A5's.
I'll check with GrantB. He put them in there.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Molly wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:47 pm
IMOCD wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:26 pm

I'll check with GrantB. He put them in there.
The are superb pickups. Beautifully made. The are articulate without being sterile, and have good bass extension. I would say, along with robthemac's Mare's, these are the best I've played so far.

From the auction way back.

"staggered Alnico 5 magnets, vintage correct vulcanized black fiberboard flatwork, Elektrisola AWG42 enameled copper wire - hand crafted and scatter wound. Punchy with extra bite."

6.34, 6.45, 6.75 on the readings. Plus I had another bridge wound to same vibe but at 7.1K ish, to really give it some oomph.

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

Never thought I’d be a Strat guy, but they sneak up on you. Left is a 1962 AVRI and the right is a 2015 limited run American Standard that Guitar Center put out with a solid rosewood neck. Love them both but the AVRI gets the most play, the Fat 50’s in the Standard are fantastic.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Lovely! That rosewood neck!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

Yeah the rosewood neck was quite polarising for me to begin with, it just looked a bit strange, but now I’ve started to really appreciate it. It plays great, feels amazing, but I think you just expect to see the normal headstock. I think these came out just before the CITES ban on rosewood so Fender must have wanted to ship some out the door.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

That AVRI is just the thing for me. Absolutely classic. Dibs!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

The twins...

IMG_5057.jpg
IMG_5057.jpg (666.35 KiB) Viewed 2375 times

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:16 am The twins...

IMG_5057.jpg
Awwww, a girl and a boy :clap:
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe