Best Auckland set up?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Best Auckland set up?

Post by mrmofo »

quyet wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:12 pm fret dress 300

300 for a fret dress? wow was it an original Chanel or some sort of Karen Walker hand knitted above the knee number?

i bet it looks lovley ;)
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

The best Auckland fret dress is in Taupiri.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I used Ramsay Phillips on Glyn’s recommendation, to get the 63 strat set up. It required a new nut, various other things plus a full and very careful re-fret (he has a YouTube or Instagram video about what was involved) and he did an unbelievable job for the grand total of a bit over $450. I’d happily recommend him any time.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

I need a new nut done, any other recs before I go back to Binford?f

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

quyet wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:17 pm I need a new nut done, any other recs before I go back to Binford?f
drop me a pm, I'm open for business again.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

FloydFan85
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by FloydFan85 »

Hi all. Just got a new Fender Player Strat and was recommended Trevor Binford for a setup. He said it would cost $200. That seemed a bit pricey so I was wondering if anyone with experience could explain why he may be worthy of this cost or not. Does he go above and beyond other luthiers here?

Or if anyone else could be recommended I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Good to be here!

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by murky »

FloydFan85 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:02 am Hi all. Just got a new Fender Player Strat and was recommended Trevor Binford for a setup. He said it would cost $200. That seemed a bit pricey so I was wondering if anyone with experience could explain why he may be worthy of this cost or not. Does he go above and beyond other luthiers here?

Or if anyone else could be recommended I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Good to be here!
Just remember - it’s $200 likely less GST and tax. So prob $125 before he even pays consumables/costs. Good (and bad…) tradies are charging $80+ an hour these days. Pretty sure Trevor’s not overvaluing his craft/time here.

Speakos
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Speakos »

Just want to add a thumbs up for Trevor Binford. great setup and great advice.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Is there a particular guitar tech/luthier that is a wizard with electronics? I have an Artist strat that could really benefit from shielding, proper grounding etc. I'm happy with how the pickups sounds - just an upgrade in pots and a proper electronics install (not just found in cheap guitars but also expensive ones).

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

jhyang549 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:08 am Is there a particular guitar tech/luthier that is a wizard with electronics? I have an Artist strat that could really benefit from shielding, proper grounding etc. I'm happy with how the pickups sounds - just an upgrade in pots and a proper electronics install (not just found in cheap guitars but also expensive ones).
Not sure about the wizard part, but Ramsay rewired my Schecter which was a bit of a mess. Did it exactly as I'd asked and set it all up nicely. Price was reasonable and he is a GC. Based in Glendowie.
Loving it so far

Nevo
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Nevo »

This is a olde topic but who is available nd reasonably priced for a fret level.
Thankyou Ant

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Get in touch with Ramsay Phillips.

http://ramsayphillips.com

He's based in Glendowie I believe.
Last edited by FuzzMonkey on Fri May 26, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Moonglow
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Moonglow »

I picked up my Takamine from the acoustic rockshop top of K Road last week. Victoria worked on it and did an awesome job. I wish I'd taken it there when I first got it, the action was ridiculously high in retrospect. They filed the bridge down, replaced the strings and it was like $80. They also replaced a piezzo pickup for free. Also had a great discussion on protecting/correct humidity for guitars in the Auckland climate and some options for looking after your baby.

For convenience to my work, the patience and time they took explaining things to me I probably should have already known (and didn't make me feel foolish for asking), and the superb playability my guitar has now I'd totally go back everytime. My only regret was the Sylvia Park rock shop didnt send me there 5 years ago when I brought my guitar. This time I can totally blame my tools! Though fretting hand strength is now like a 9 out of 10

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

AZ charged me $300 for a set up. He had to take off the neck and put it on, and he had to put in a new nut. The work was ok but I wouldn't go back because it was at most 2 hours' work. I do this thing myself but was slammed at work.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

For setups, I’ve found Audio Zephyr to be the best in terms of quality of work. He’s a bit fussy and he is not cheap, but he is meticulous.