String gauge - does size matter?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7786 times
Been liked: 4212 times

Re: String gauge - does size matter?

Post by jeremyb »

AiRdAd wrote:
SimonHirst wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I'm glad that there was no nerve damage etc... how did you do it?
Yeah, thanks Danny! That was bit of a nervy conversation.
Just fell very awkwardly while skating at the park just by our house!
I feel your pain. Jordy fell off her one at the beginning of the year. She was in a cast for 10 days and then turned out not to be broken - so very lucky. I've stayed off my skateboards over the lockdown period - because knowing me I'll fall off and do the same :-)
DOH! I've been riding my $60 longboard round the streets at nights with the kids on their scooters, bloody great fun, bought it on a whim from 1-day and its actually really decent for a noob like me, absolutely flies!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Saw this on Facebook :lol:
Attachments
94443011_10163191806330062_1075984552842756096_n.jpg
94443011_10163191806330062_1075984552842756096_n.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

jeremyb wrote:Saw this on Facebook :lol:
Didn’t realise Dan Patlansky was 32

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

jeremyb wrote:Saw this on Facebook :lol:
hahaha!!! I just logged in to post that too!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1213 times
Been liked: 1407 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have been using 10-46 Elixir Nanoweb and Optiweb strings for some time now. I have them on my 24.75" Yamaha and 24.5" PRS. I noticed the other day my Tele 25.5" seems easier to play/bend than the shorter length guitars which doesn't seem right. Then I remembered I put on a set of Boomer 10-46's when I set it up because we were in lock-down and I hadn't had chance to get the Elixirs. After some back and forth between the guitars I am convinced the Elixirs feel heavier.

When I tried a set of 9-42's a while back I found them too sloppy, but they were Ernie Ball Slinkies so now I'm thinking that maybe Elixir '9s would sit somewhere in between.

I orders some more Boomers (10's) as they were cheap and they arrived yesterday. I will try them out on the Yamaha shortly. If they last well then I may just use them because Elixirs are expensive.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I've got an order from stringjoy.com on the way, custom set with a wound 3rd, 10-48, looking forward to trying them out :)

Mattress5
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Mattress5 »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:11 pm I've got an order from stringjoy.com on the way, custom set with a wound 3rd, 10-48, looking forward to trying them out :)
I got a couple of their 10-50 Husky sets. I found them to be very bright. They grew on me though and I really like them now. Would love to know what you think of yours when they arrive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mattress5 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:57 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:11 pm I've got an order from stringjoy.com on the way, custom set with a wound 3rd, 10-48, looking forward to trying them out :)
I got a couple of their 10-50 Husky sets. I found them to be very bright. They grew on me though and I really like them now. Would love to know what you think of yours when they arrive.
Interesting, I found that with GHS Boomers, really trebly, I usually use elixirs and I like that they don't start out bright and then soften up, they have the same tone thru their life...

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:09 pm
Interesting, I found that with GHS Boomers, really trebly, I usually use elixirs and I like that they don't start out bright and then soften up, they have the same tone thru their life...
I'll have to give them a go. I've been buying standard EB 10-46's for years and throwing away the bottom two and replacing them with 40 and 50 bought in packs of singles. Just for Fenders. Although EB do a selection of more varied gauges now which fill in quite nicely.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 522 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by mule »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:38 pm I have been using 10-46 Elixir Nanoweb and Optiweb strings for some time now. I have them on my 24.75" Yamaha and 24.5" PRS. I noticed the other day my Tele 25.5" seems easier to play/bend than the shorter length guitars which doesn't seem right. Then I remembered I put on a set of Boomer 10-46's when I set it up because we were in lock-down and I hadn't had chance to get the Elixirs. After some back and forth between the guitars I am convinced the Elixirs feel heavier.

When I tried a set of 9-42's a while back I found them too sloppy, but they were Ernie Ball Slinkies so now I'm thinking that maybe Elixir '9s would sit somewhere in between.

I orders some more Boomers (10's) as they were cheap and they arrived yesterday. I will try them out on the Yamaha shortly. If they last well then I may just use them because Elixirs are expensive.
I think Elixirs, epecially the Nanoweb's, feel pretty different. Not something I had noticed until I restrung my tele with a set of D'adarrio's I had sitting around and noticed the high strings felt sharp on my fingers. I don't think it's the gauge. In comparison the Elixirs I have on the JM are much smoother to run your finger along. Whatever nanoweb means I reckon the end result is it feels like a very light smooth sleeve around your high strings. I like it but I could understand if somebody came from a different set of strings and hated it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:41 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:09 pm

I'll have to give them a go. I've been buying standard EB 10-46's for years and throwing away the bottom two and replacing them with 40 and 50 bought in packs of singles. Just for Fenders. Although EB do a selection of more varied gauges now which fill in quite nicely.
www.stringjoy.com you can order custom sets for no extra cost!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Is anyone running a hybrid set, like 9-46? I quite like the thicker low end from the usual 10-46s, but could do with a bit of an easier time now I'm trying to do more bending... lack of practice yeah... but...

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:48 pm Is anyone running a hybrid set, like 9-46? I quite like the thicker low end from the usual 10-46s, but could do with a bit of an easier time now I'm trying to do more bending... lack of practice yeah... but...
i've got 10-52 on some guitars - sounds good acoustically - but the bass strings can get a bit boomy amplified
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:08 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:48 pm Is anyone running a hybrid set, like 9-46? I quite like the thicker low end from the usual 10-46s, but could do with a bit of an easier time now I'm trying to do more bending... lack of practice yeah... but...
i've got 10-52 on some guitars - sounds good acoustically - but can get a bit boomy amplified
That was my go to gauge for drop C#, I dig the way the thicker strings respond :thumbup:

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I run 9-46 EBs on my Tele and SuperStrat. Used to on my Gibsons too. Dunno why I switched up to 10-46 on that scale really (believed something on the internet I suppose). I thought maybe it would bring them in line with the longer scale gats with the slightly lower gauge. I would go back to 9-46 on everything if I could be arsed re-intonating.