Guitar dispute, anyone got a lawyer friend?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Guitar dispute, anyone got a lawyer friend?

Post by Reg18 »

So I recently bought a Les Paul Classic with a headstock repair. When it arrived it had a forward bow in the neck and after tightening the truss Rod it pulled it pretty much into alignment but not perfectly straight, and there was already an extra washer in place for extra leverage so it had been mucked around with before.
I have since taken it to 2 luthiers to asses and the first one couldn’t do anything but the second one Peter Stephen can……at a cost.
So do I have grounds to ask for the seller to contribute to the repairs on a second hand TM purchased guitar?
And if so and they refuse what steps can I take?
Snippets from TM auction and estimated cost of repairs.
Attachments
BD5E8925-E08B-4A0D-9005-88EC40F63AE8.jpeg
BD5E8925-E08B-4A0D-9005-88EC40F63AE8.jpeg (443.51 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
30989FCB-0203-43E3-B98F-EB1BC198341D.png
30989FCB-0203-43E3-B98F-EB1BC198341D.png (728.63 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
35929233-3574-44B8-8B04-2188FF6CFCCB.png
35929233-3574-44B8-8B04-2188FF6CFCCB.png (856.51 KiB) Viewed 2293 times

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Guitar dispute, anyone got a lawyer friend?

Post by Reg18 »

And their response! Was hoping it wouldn’t come to this.
Attachments
88FAD14D-D883-4E8E-9EE7-AA094256EF38.png
88FAD14D-D883-4E8E-9EE7-AA094256EF38.png (556.67 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Not a lawyer, nor do I have a lawyer friend, but here's a hot-take anyway..

Sold as-is with a disclosed headstock repair. Assume you got a cheap price because of this?

If price paid + $810 is around the price of a 2nd hand LP without a headstock repair, I'd say you gambled and came out even.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

jimi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:16 pm Not a lawyer, nor do I have a lawyer friend, but here's a hot-take anyway..

Sold as-is with a disclosed headstock repair. Assume you got a cheap price because of this?

If price paid + $810 is around the price of a 2nd hand LP without a headstock repair, I'd say you gambled and came out even.
Yeah I have to agree here. I don't think you can really get too righteous when it was all fairly well disclosed as jimi states.

In fact, I'd probably be writing the same thing as the seller has almost word for word in their position, though I do understand it can be a different scenario when you can't inspect/pickup personally. In those situations, I guess you have to be willing to accept the risk of it not being what you'd hope for?

I guess I'd look at it and go, is it still a good bargain and instrument after any additional costs? If so, then you won. If not, then you probably broke even and although it may not be what you wanted, you may want to move it on to recoup losses.
Last edited by The Scarecrow on Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

I don't have any kind of professional legal experience but I too am in complete agreement with jimi and the Scarecrow given what I have read here.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Not sounding good! The Luthier has said the headstock repair looks to be good (done by Glynn) and is most likely nothing to do with the bowed neck. Is there a “fit for purpose” thing with S/H goods or only new?

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:25 pm Not sounding good! The Luthier has said the headstock repair looks to be good (done by Glynn) and is most likely nothing to do with the bowed neck. Is there a “fit for purpose” thing with S/H goods or only new?
As far as I know, second-hand is entirely at buyers risk, and always has been?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

The Scarecrow wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:27 pm
Reg18 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:25 pm Not sounding good! The Luthier has said the headstock repair looks to be good (done by Glynn) and is most likely nothing to do with the bowed neck. Is there a “fit for purpose” thing with S/H goods or only new?
As far as I know, second-hand is entirely at buyers risk, and always has been?
This is sounding worse and worse by the second for me!
Stand by for fire sale of other gear to pay for repairs!

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

My experience with this is limited, but my understanding would be you might have more luck with the goods being guaranteed if it was bought from a second hand dealer, as opposed to an individual - my guess would be if you were to dispute this, it'd all come down to the description the seller used on the auction, and as they described it "as is", "much loved", "in need of some love" etc. I wouldn't fancy your chances in that regard.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

SixGunLover wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:33 pm My experience with this is limited, but my understanding would be you might have more luck with the goods being guaranteed if it was bought from a second hand dealer, as opposed to an individual - my guess would be if you were to dispute this, it'd all come down to the description the seller used on the auction, and as they described it "as is", "much loved", "in need of some love" etc. I wouldn't fancy your chances in that regard.
Pretty much this. I have a MASSIVE list of caveats/disclaimers on all my TM auctions now to indemnify me from any responsibility in this regard. That might sound elite, but it's best to be clear with people from the outset about what the deal is. I feel for the OP, but at the same time, I don't think the seller is in the wrong here.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i skimmed the first part,how did you get peter to assess something so fast?
maybe ill get him to do some set ups!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

It’s a real bummer, but shimming the truss Rod would be my first move here, provided the truss rod does not feel too tight already. If it is very resistive, then yes, the more expensive repair.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Kris wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:38 pm i skimmed the first part,how did you get peter to assess something so fast?
maybe ill get him to do some set ups!
Haha, yeah he’s usually months. Musicians aren’t doing gigs at the moment so he’s quieter than usual.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Now the question what the heck to do!
So I’m getting the overwhelming feedback it’s not something that would have legs in the small claims tribunal or anything like that, however it still
Leaves me with a repaired headstock guitar that will owe me well over what a good S/H would by the time it’s repaired. Meaning I’m basically deciding it’s a keeper and it doesn’t matter what it owes me. Or sell it “as is” for a loss to someone who can repair themselves. Not the position I was anticipating being in.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Oh bro, I'm so sorry about this :( I literally didn't notice anything amiss when I gave it the once over. It was a contactless pickup as well :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.