Receiving a gift guitar from overseas

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Anton
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Receiving a gift guitar from overseas

Post by Anton »

Hey gasheads,

I'll be receiving a guitar soon in the post, and I can't figure out whether I'll have to pay tax or duties. The govt website says you don't have to pay on gifts valued under $110, but doesn't clarify what happens above that. I'm not getting an Ashton, so I guess there'll be something to pay - it all seems crazy. Anyone experienced wanna chime in?

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Receiving a gift guitar from overseas

Post by JustMatt »

As it stands, anything declared at over NZ$1000 will be assessed for GST.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I have had a few expensive guitars slip through. A letter attached saying" Dear Bob, here is the old guitar that your late uncle Jim left you in his will, hope you enjoy it as much as he did Love Aunty Mary" I found works.

No one on here that works for the IRD I hope ?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Pay your taxes as required
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

If it's declared with a vakue over $1000 nzd including shipping you're liable to pay. If you can prove you owned it prior to shipping they might let you off. Your package might skip through unchecked.

But the law is over $1k and you pay import duties. Best keep a few hundred back to cover any costs that crop up.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

foal30 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:36 pm Pay your taxes as required
Mate I am 61 years old and have been working and paying taxes since I was 16 1/2. Never had anything back from the govt in terms of unemployment benefits or SFA. Moreover I have worked for companies that have made close on half a mil in turnover and paid $1.59 in tax. Yes its only a matter of time before they get cleaned out but in the meantime....

Dont get me started about Santarium either..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7738 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Post by jeremyb »

You will need to pay GST even if its a gift if its declared as over $1000, unless its labelled as a warranty replacement ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

vinylguy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:36 pm
foal30 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:36 pm Pay your taxes as required
Mate I am 61 years old and have been working and paying taxes since I was 16 1/2. Never had anything back from the govt in terms of unemployment benefits or SFA. Moreover I have worked for companies that have made close on half a mil in turnover and paid $1.59 in tax. Yes its only a matter of time before they get cleaned out but in the meantime....

Dont get me started about Santarium either..
It's more a question of possibly losing it altogether if they discover you're trying to avoid duty.

Personally, I love paying tax and hope one day to meet the other family I'm supporting...

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Count on having to pay customs duty and GST, then if it slips through without getting pinged, you can consider it a bonus.

synchromesh
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by synchromesh »

vinylguy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:17 pm I have had a few expensive guitars slip through. A letter attached saying" Dear Bob, here is the old guitar that your late uncle Jim left you in his will, hope you enjoy it as much as he did Love Aunty Mary" I found works.
I actually have a bass (a Sunn Mustang P-Bass, nice enough but not worth all that much I suspect) that an ex-bandmate has gifted me, that has been waiting on the price of shipping from England to here to come down a bit. Cue Putin spiking the price of oil, ha ha hum.

So when the time comes I'll follow your suggestion and get him to include a letter to that effect. Thanks!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

bender wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:35 pm Count on having to pay customs duty and GST, then if it slips through without getting pinged, you can consider it a bonus.
I’ve had good luck over the years with this. But on should never bank on luck.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

synchromesh wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:50 pm
vinylguy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:17 pm I have had a few expensive guitars slip through. A letter attached saying" Dear Bob, here is the old guitar that your late uncle Jim left you in his will, hope you enjoy it as much as he did Love Aunty Mary" I found works.
I actually have a bass (a Sunn Mustang P-Bass, nice enough but not worth all that much I suspect) that an ex-bandmate has gifted me, that has been waiting on the price of shipping from England to here to come down a bit. Cue Putin spiking the price of oil, ha ha hum.
Trivial, relatively speaking.