Gibson Les Paul Studio - Are the finish and neck joint OK?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Re: Gibson Les Paul Studio - Are the finish and neck joint OK?

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:16 am Do you know what causes the finish on the neck to peel off, like it is in the photo?
Gibson.

Yeah, yeah; low hanging fruit. I'll get my coat.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:41 pm
AiRdAd wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:16 am Do you know what causes the finish on the neck to peel off, like it is in the photo?
Gibson.

Yeah, yeah; low hanging fruit. I'll get my coat.
I actually wonder it it’s heat that caused it.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've asked three times for a couple more photos of the neck joint and the guy is flat out refusing to provide them. Based on what you guys have said, I'm nervous about buying it now, as the only reason I can think of for not providing a couple more pics, is that there is something to hide. What's more, the seller is leaving to go overseas in two weeks. If I could inspect the guitar myself in Auckland city, I'd be more comfortable, but alarm bells are ringing. What do you guys think?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:52 am I've asked three times for a couple more photos of the neck joint and the guy is flat out refusing to provide them. Based on what you guys have said, I'm nervous about buying it now, as the only reason I can think of for not providing a couple more pics, is that there is something to hide. What's more, the seller is leaving to go overseas in two weeks. If I could inspect the guitar myself in Auckland city, I'd be more comfortable, but alarm bells are ringing. What do you guys think?
Where is he Danny? I might be able to look on the weekend.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Hang on… you’ve already hit buy now?! Why are you asking questions AFTER agreeing to buy it?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1106 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

bender wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:11 am Hang on… you’ve already hit buy now?! Why are you asking questions AFTER agreeing to buy it?
Buy first, ask questions later.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

robthemac wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:16 am
bender wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:11 am Hang on… you’ve already hit buy now?! Why are you asking questions AFTER agreeing to buy it?
Buy first, ask questions later.
:problem: and then the seller has to start the whole process again. Stink.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Come on guys, you know Danny's modus operandus. :wink: He's done this for many years only to be saved by the forum telling him it is a fake or something else :D
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I was ok with buying it based on the photos provided, and was all ready to go, but Slowy had a good point, if the cracks extend around the side of the guitar, it points to a very serious issue. The fact that they won't provide them, worries me, as I can't think of any reason they wouldn't provide them under normal circumstances, and the only reason I can think of that they won't provide them, is because they are trying to hide something. What makes me more nervous is that they are going overseas soon, so I'll have no means of getting recourse if this is the case.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Danny…….. :rofl:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Feels like $600 is about the right price given what’s visible.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

AiRdAd wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:36 am
I was ok with buying it based on the photos provided, and was all ready to go, but Slowy had a good point, if the cracks extend around the side of the guitar, it points to a very serious issue. The fact that they won't provide them, worries me, as I can't think of any reason they wouldn't provide them under normal circumstances, and the only reason I can think of that they won't provide them, is because they are trying to hide something. What makes me more nervous is that they are going overseas soon, so I'll have no means of getting recourse if this is the case.
Putting myself in the sellers head, I think I'd be a bit pissy about providing pics after the fact as well. Plenty of opportunity to ask these sorts of Q's and the seller did disclose the issues fair 'n square. I'd be wondering whether the purchaser was looking for an "out', tbh.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

AiRdAd wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:36 am
Or they're slow to reply because they're moving overseas in 2 weeks and have other things to worry about. Moving abroad is no joke. It puts them in a real awkward spot if someone hits buy now and then gets scared.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

I think this is trademe’s actual policy though, you agree to buy then go inspect and if it isn’t good or you don’t want it etc then they’ll refund the success fee. At least that is what they said to me when I inquired as much. Which I thought was stupid but they trying to protect their interests I guess.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Its Meadowbank, so just up the road from me. I don't really know enough to give an assessment on looking at it though. What was the BN? I'd quite like one of these, so if you've got cold feet let me know.