Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

Post by Gitar »

Thomann only have UPS fast as an option which of course costs insane amounts, but still makes guitars cheaper provided you can get them in under that $1000 price point.

Some guitars just make financial sense to import.

I still support our local retail guys wherever possible, especially if I need something NOW.

This is an anomally, so wheneer I type RG370AHM (Thomann has it) into Sweetwater, It directs to the RG470AHM https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... moon-burst. Both are in that gorgeous Blue Moon Burst with the natural back and sides showing the natural ash grain.

Weird. Is perhaps the RG370ahm the rg470ahm in the USA?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

Post by jeremyb »

I generally buy most things online as what I usually want is available here... I try to support local wherever possible, I have imported a few guitars because I'd rather have the $1000 or so I saved on the last one in my bank account to spend on more gear :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Ya, its insane what $1000 can buy from Germany or the US, but Im very confused by the calculator https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/du ... estimator/

When I try entering under $1000 item it calulates my GST under the banner of Item duty, then it says at the end as item is under $1000 there is no duty to pay, when I enter an item over $1000 it mentions the GST to Pay but the Duty is still $0.

Do you not have to pay GST or Duty if its under $1000?

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

I think no gst under 1k. I buy loads from reverb overseas etc. never had an issue with anything under 1k. Comes right through

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mosfet »

In fact from the gov site you linked:

“Customs will not collect GST, duty or charge an Import Entry Transaction Fee (IETF) on goods valued $1000 or less, unless the goods are part of a large consignment.”

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Mosfet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:11 pm In fact from the gov site you linked:

“Customs will not collect GST, duty or charge an Import Entry Transaction Fee (IETF) on goods valued $1000 or less, unless the goods are part of a large consignment.”
interesting bro. i always thought they stung people by adding the shipping cost to the "value" or price of item and they would get people that way. Im sure the threshold use to be much lower, like $400....

Have you ever got skunked by a Reverb seller? Some cool stuff shows up on there but often over priced, but might be just how I am searching. You would get some good deals with $1000 cash.....

There are some older PRS semi hollows, I like the Squier Thinlines too. The PRS semi hollows are like $1600 new here. I like the black and grey version from around 2009. But I want something i could potentially route a Schaller Lockmesiter/FR into later down the track.

I still like that RG470 in blue I linked, that looks like its worth twice the price.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mosfet »

Gitar wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:22 pm Im sure the threshold use to be much lower, like $400....
I'm pretty sure you're right!
Gitar wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:22 pm Have you ever got skunked by a Reverb seller?
not yet! but I only really by from small time shops. Check the feedback and number of trades etc. That's what I do at least. I probably wouldn't buy private unless they had a lot of feedback

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Mosfet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:39 pm not yet! but I only really by from small time shops. Check the feedback and number of trades etc. That's what I do at least. I probably wouldn't buy private unless they had a lot of feedback
I didnt find something I liked anyway.

But I LOVE the blue stain ash body on this RG470AHM, people say stuff like if you love how a guitar looks you always go to it to play, well the ash body does that for me, the blue moon burst is just something else, makes the ash body POP.

One thing about sweetwater I dont get, why is there 4 options for model weight? Is there that much variance in weight, I presume heavier is better?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... I220210036

It works out at $878NZD, NZ dollar has gone WAY down this year on the USD, and its $210 for shipping. Totalis $1100, not sure if that will clear customs or not, might check with them. But its a lot cheaper than the local price.

These were only $500USD, yet it says save $200 etc. Not sure whats up with that. And it is the identical model to the 370 at Thomman, except the 370ahmz (Z is th key) has an Edge tremolo where this is a generic Ibanez Floyd Rose. But hey, if Ibanez havnt "past participle of get" good at Floyds by now, who has. I would just drop a Schaller in if it has rubbish metal but thats not the reviews are saying.

Its not what I was looking for. What I really was looking for is a Strat style with a 12" radius not 10", 42mm at the Nut and a modern C (~21mm to 23mm at 12h). Something I hang my thumb over as thats my natural style as I learnt to play by ear and watching Hendrix plays monterey on VHS so just copied him. But struggling to find a modern C neck just yet, but so many out there.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

I've bought guitars from the US and Japan since '03 and all smaller items that don't cost a lot in freight, works out a lot cheaper most of the time otherwise I wouldn't do it.
Up until about 6 years ago you could bring in 2nd hand gear without having to pay GST, not any more.
It comes down to the choice available and that just doesn't happen locally as we know.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I've also brought in a few guitars from the USA, as I used to travel there quite a lot. Mostly that was gear you could not get here at all, so did not mind paying the GST.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Gitar wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:33 pm
When I try entering under $1000 item it calulates my GST under the banner of Item duty, then it says at the end as item is under $1000 there is no duty to pay, when I enter an item over $1000 it mentions the GST to Pay but the Duty is still $0.

Duty and GST are different things... some goods attract an import duty tariff, some don't. Musical Instruments have no import duty (so will always show $0), but you will pay GST if its over $1000.

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/du ... llowances/

The Working Tariif Doc list Duty charges, musical instruments are at the end of this section https://www.customs.govt.nz/globalasset ... i-2022.pdf
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:17 am

Duty and GST are different things... some goods attract an import duty tariff, some don't. Musical Instruments have no import duty (so will always show $0), but you will pay GST if its over $1000.

The Working Tariif Doc list Duty charges, musical instruments are at the end of this section https://www.customs.govt.nz/globalasset ... i-2022.pdf
Thank you, that clears it up I think. As the calculator was saying anything up to $1000 there was nothing to pay, GST or Duty. Is that correct? If so it makes buying overseas good value when local cannot supply.

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

Use PayPal and you can't go wrong, don't drink and Reverb :rofl:
SD PB installed.jpg
SD PB installed.jpg (264.34 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Gitar wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:17 am

Thank you, that clears it up I think. As the calculator was saying anything up to $1000 there was nothing to pay, GST or Duty. Is that correct? If so it makes buying overseas good value when local cannot supply.
correct, but don't forget its total cost, inc shipping that makes up that $1000 limit.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I'm buying another guitar this year and buying local, but.... have to wait until November because Shippy McShippingContainerBoatface.

But I have to say... with the rise in inflation, Rockshop prices are more comparable these days. Like a $1200 USD guitar isn't $4+K NZD here anymore :lol: