Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Re: Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:45 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:32 pm
dayl wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:44 pm How good is Thomman compared to buying local? any examples? as I get older I try to find reasons to keep money spent local... but man.. it asint alway easy in the musical instrument arena
Thomann's shipping is a killer so I tend to buy multiple things at once to make it worthwhile, at that way you will usually save 25-40% on local prices :)

They used to have a flat rate of 50 euro for shipping internationally, was amazing, now its more like 100 euro for something like a guitar...
Yeah, I was interested in buying a premium guitar of the Harley Benton range but the shipping was a third of the guitar cost. :wtf:
To be fair you'll still get a guitar way better than anything local for 50% more :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Trying to see what Andertons charge for shipping Yamaha H5S monitors but it doesn't show in the checkout page. I had hoped to see it prior to entering my credit card details... Anything I do wrong?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:59 pm Trying to see what Andertons charge for shipping Yamaha H5S monitors but it doesn't show in the checkout page. I had hoped to see it prior to entering my credit card details... Anything I do wrong?
It usually shows you shipping once you've entered your address details :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 9.18.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 9.18.26 PM.png (89.19 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

hahaha the shipping is 30% of the total cost and it still beats Musicworks, Soundstore and Rubber Monkey by over 300 dollars. lol NZ music retailers.

EDIT: did this with a G&L Tribute guitar. The difference between Andertons (+ shipping) and MusicPlanet (click & collect) NZ is around $100-$150. I'd rather buy at Musicplanet.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Last edited by jhyang549 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:18 pm
Jay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:59 pm Trying to see what Andertons charge for shipping Yamaha H5S monitors but it doesn't show in the checkout page. I had hoped to see it prior to entering my credit card details... Anything I do wrong?
How the heck did you get ~115 pounds per monitor? Andertons is showing 139 pounds for myself.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Thanks, you are a scholar. Why is your price way lower than what Andertons shows me?
Edit I just signed up so perhaps their is a delay...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:43 pm
How the heck did you get ~115 pounds per monitor? Andertons is showing 139 pounds for myself.
Same for me. And they charge a premium for white

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Andertons don’t charge gst either so it makes a big difference!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:47 pm Andertons don’t charge gst either so it makes a big difference!
Ok, I ll try again tomorrow. Any idea about their shipping 'speed'?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:49 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:47 pm Andertons don’t charge gst either so it makes a big difference!
Ok, I ll try again tomorrow. Any idea about their shipping 'speed'?
I’ve done a few orders through them, generally arrives in a week :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:43 pm
They remove VAT once you select New Zealand for shipping :-)

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Black Friday is less than 4 months away :mental: ! I hope our dollar starts lifting weights and gets into cross fit before then.

Fingers crossed that the USD starts binging on KFC non-stop, the Pounds Sterling adopts the Scottish diet and the Euro develops a meth addiction.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by hercules »

I've bought a few rare-ish pedals via Reverb and it's been fine, and have my eye on a guitar for a reasonable price. I'd only buy secondhand gear from overseas personally.

Selling via Reverb is a massive ball-ache though, thanks to PayPal. I've given them enough information that they could easily commit total identity fraud. And yet still they want more...

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by wavesofffear »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:14 am Black Friday is less than 4 months away :mental: ! I hope our dollar starts lifting weights and gets into cross fit before then.

Fingers crossed that the USD starts binging on KFC non-stop, the Pounds Sterling adopts the Scottish diet and the Euro develops a meth addiction.
Good time to buy from Europe ATM.

I buy almost exclusively from overseas. Key point is that there's a sweetspot for purchases under $1k. If you avoid the few retailers that collect GST (Amazon, Ebay, Thomann), you're laughing. Thanks Jacinda.

I had an interesting experience with Thomann where I bought a cab that cost about €500, including shipping. After placing the order, they emailed to say that "as the purchase was above the NZ$1000 threshold for collecting NZ VAT", they would waive the GST, and I ended up getting charged 15% less. The cab shipped on a Tuesday and got here on Thursday (UPS).

Over $1000, I will say that I've "heard through the grapevine" that used (even vintage) gear is far less likely to attract GST.

I've also found the US carriers (UPS and Fedex) seem to be a whole lot less fastidious about collecting it than DHL.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

wavesofffear wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:29 am
Over $1000, I will say that I've "heard through the grapevine" that used (even vintage) gear is far less likely to attract GST.

I've also found the US carriers (UPS and Fedex) seem to be a whole lot less fastidious about collecting it than DHL.
You mean just used guitars over $1k generally speaking ie could be ebay or whoever? Im looking at Ebay now and Im wondering how likely Im going to get pinged for a used guitar from Aus Ebay personal seller....

Thomann only use UPS and Im pretty sure Sweetwater are the same if that helps any.

The one thing I just about Andertons, is the user interface you could change the currency, it might sound nit picky, but when it is one of the under $1k purchases you are trying to nail, it is damn handy to have on Thomann. End of the day you get you GST reimbursed regardless right? (if under $1k total etc).