Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

Post by HackSaw »

Gitar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:25 pm
wavesofffear wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:29 am
Over $1000, I will say that I've "heard through the grapevine" that used (even vintage) gear is far less likely to attract GST.

I've also found the US carriers (UPS and Fedex) seem to be a whole lot less fastidious about collecting it than DHL.
You mean just used guitars over $1k generally speaking ie could be ebay or whoever? Im looking at Ebay now and Im wondering how likely Im going to get pinged for a used guitar from Aus Ebay personal seller....

Thomann only use UPS and Im pretty sure Sweetwater are the same if that helps any.

The one thing I just about Andertons, is the user interface you could change the currency, it might sound nit picky, but when it is one of the under $1k purchases you are trying to nail, it is damn handy to have on Thomann. End of the day you get you GST reimbursed regardless right? (if under $1k total etc).
Don't use the exchange rate calculator on the Thomman websites or otherwise. The only one that matters is the rate that NZ Customs uses (found here https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/du ... estimator/ ). And even then, the rate now, vs the rate when the goods arrive could be different and cause you a world of hurt. Best bet is to buffer and not get too far over NZ $950 I reckon!

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Has anybody had any experience dealing with orders that were damaged by freight from the big online overseas retailers? Was it easy to deal with? I would like to hear your stories regarding this.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

HackSaw wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:09 pm Don't use the exchange rate calculator on the Thomman websites or otherwise. The only one that matters is the rate that NZ Customs uses (found here https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/du ... estimator/ ). And even then, the rate now, vs the rate when the goods arrive could be different and cause you a world of hurt. Best bet is to buffer and not get too far over NZ $950 I reckon!
Dont use it for what? I wouldnt use it to figure out the cost of an item I was intending to buy, but I certainly use it for narrowing down prey :-)

Its just a handy tool, another filter, they even say something about it being just that and price is as per post checkout. Something like that I read somewhere.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by wavesofffear »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm Has anybody had any experience dealing with orders that were damaged by freight from the big online overseas retailers? Was it easy to deal with? I would like to hear your stories regarding this.
I've had to help a Reverb seller make a UPS claim before. Got the full value of the item refunded within a week. Had to take a few pics.
Gitar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:25 pm
wavesofffear wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:29 am
Over $1000, I will say that I've "heard through the grapevine" that used (even vintage) gear is far less likely to attract GST.

I've also found the US carriers (UPS and Fedex) seem to be a whole lot less fastidious about collecting it than DHL.
You mean just used guitars over $1k generally speaking ie could be ebay or whoever? Im looking at Ebay now and Im wondering how likely Im going to get pinged for a used guitar from Aus Ebay personal seller....

Thomann only use UPS and Im pretty sure Sweetwater are the same if that helps any.

The one thing I just about Andertons, is the user interface you could change the currency, it might sound nit picky, but when it is one of the under $1k purchases you are trying to nail, it is damn handy to have on Thomann. End of the day you get you GST reimbursed regardless right? (if under $1k total etc).
You never get GST reimbursed. If it's over $1k, they shouldn't collect it on the grounds that customs will charge for it. If it's under, only retailers affected (and aware of) the 60k rule will charge it.

The thing to avoid with Ebay is their "global shipping program". If you get regular international shipping, then it comes down to the service used by the seller.

Good point above re aiming for $950 instead of the full $1k.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:18 pm
Jay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:59 pm Trying to see what Andertons charge for shipping Yamaha H5S monitors but it doesn't show in the checkout page. I had hoped to see it prior to entering my credit card details... Anything I do wrong?
It usually shows you shipping once you've entered your address details :)
Correct. I tried ordering it twice but every time I get: "your session timed out". :o I hope it is not a scam
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:06 pm
Jay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:59 pm Trying to see what Andertons charge for shipping Yamaha H5S monitors but it doesn't show in the checkout page. I had hoped to see it prior to entering my credit card details... Anything I do wrong?
Correct. I tried ordering it twice but every time I get: "your session timed out". :o I hope it is not a scam
I’ve bought from Andertons multiple times with no issue so perhaps it’s just a glitch?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:10 pm

I’ve bought from Andertons multiple times with no issue so perhaps it’s just a glitch?
Hope so, will keep an eye on my credit card. If no confirmation emails arrive in the next 24 hours, I will try again tomorrow.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg

Post by wavesofffear »

Definitely not a scam. I've dealt with their customer service before and they're very helpful.

There are a lot of other European sellers worth considering too:
- Peach Guitars and Guitar Guitar in the UK. Beware the crooks at Hanks/Denmark St/London Vintage Guitars, although there are some repro vintage parts they offer that no one else does (which they use in their vintage "lash ups" - go figure).
- Music Store, Zoundhouse and Thomann in Germany. I've also had good experiences with Royez Musik Reims (France) through Reverb.
- If you're into amp/guitar parts: Tube Amp Doctor, Tube Town, Banzai, Modulus and Jukebox Revival.

Another good tip - if you're buying smaller things, or from sellers who aren't willing to ship to NZ - is to use "parcel forwarding" services to consolidate and ship on to here. I've used Planet Express in the UK/US and Mailbox DE in Germany with success. Always important to use a service with a mailbox in OR if in the US (no sales tax). I used to use Comgateway and You Shop but they started adding GST to everything. Obviously a friend in those locations is also good. :)

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Jay wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:24 pm Hope so, will keep an eye on my credit card. If no confirmation emails arrive in the next 24 hours, I will try again tomorrow.
I wouldn't have thought so, and I know their website has had a few glitches over the last few months. The times that I have bought from Andersons it's shown on my credit card instantly - so if your card's still clear then I'm sure nothing has gone through. Oh and I do agree with whoever said their customer service is very helpful :thumbup:
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:53 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:45 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:32 pm

Thomann's shipping is a killer so I tend to buy multiple things at once to make it worthwhile, at that way you will usually save 25-40% on local prices :)

They used to have a flat rate of 50 euro for shipping internationally, was amazing, now its more like 100 euro for something like a guitar...
Yeah, I was interested in buying a premium guitar of the Harley Benton range but the shipping was a third of the guitar cost. :wtf:
To be fair you'll still get a guitar way better than anything local for 50% more :)
I've been thinking of getting a nice Fat Strat with stainless steel frets and this seems like my kinda thing. There's the Ibanez Prestige AZ2404 (Around $3K NZD shipped excluding customs fees) but the appeal of having the pickups I want made me change my mind. And these guitars are properly shielded compared to the EART guitars (none of their guitars are shielded) around the same price point.

To meet that NZD $950 sweet spot, I'll probably buy a nice set of aftermarket pickups and electronics. Then, I'll pay a good NZ luthier in Auckland (I'm so glad that we have them) for setup and electronics installation. With my Greg Bennett ES-335 copy, my Radian P90 Les Paul and my Fat Strat, that's feels like a great rotation of guitars to have in terms of tonal options and feel.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jhyang549 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:18 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:53 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:45 pm

Yeah, I was interested in buying a premium guitar of the Harley Benton range but the shipping was a third of the guitar cost. :wtf:
To be fair you'll still get a guitar way better than anything local for 50% more :)
I've been thinking of getting a nice Fat Strat with stainless steel frets and this seems like my kinda thing. There's the Ibanez Prestige AZ2404 (Around $3K NZD shipped excluding customs fees) but the appeal of having the pickups I want made me change my mind. And these guitars are properly shielded compared to the EART guitars (none of their guitars are shielded) around the same price point.

To meet that NZD $950 sweet spot, I'll probably buy a nice set of aftermarket pickups and electronics. Then, I'll pay a good NZ luthier in Auckland (I'm so glad that we have them) for setup and electronics installation. With my Greg Bennett ES-335 copy, my Radian P90 Les Paul and my Fat Strat, that's feels like a great rotation of guitars to have in terms of tonal options and feel.
An HSS strat is such a do everything kind of guitar, when I got mine I fell in love with positions 4 & 5, the MrGlyn's bellbirds probably helped with that but I never gelled with the bridge pickup, replacing it with one of his PAF style pickups and now its my only electric! :shock:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:10 pm

Looks like it. Nothing suspicious on my CC, so tried again today and went through smoothly. Counting the days now :D

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg

Post by wavesofffear »

This is just a general tip, but seems germane to this thread and has been massively helpful to me getting bigger ticket items over from the US in the past...

There are a few US-based services that sell discounted shipping labels directly. They're often targeted at small businesses, but also fine with private individuals making accounts. The discounts can be substantial, e.g. the cost of shipping an amp UPS drops from ~US$1000 (standard retail price) to ~$US250 (prepaid label). A couple I've used successfully are Pirate Ship (fun pirate theme) and Shippo.

These services are really helpful to have if you're buying from private sellers in the US (e.g. through Reverb/Ebay/forums). I've often found US sellers are reluctant to ship internationally - perhaps more often than people from other countries (bigger domestic market), but not exclusively - and being able to sort this out helps bring them around to the idea.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:33 am An HSS strat is such a do everything kind of guitar, when I got mine I fell in love with positions 4 & 5, the MrGlyn's bellbirds probably helped with that but I never gelled with the bridge pickup, replacing it with one of his PAF style pickups and now its my only electric! :shock:
Indeed, well it can be with the right pups and a decent trem.

I remember watching Hendrix and he use to put match sticks in between 3rd and 2nd to create what we call 4th today, ie they didnt have 5 way selector. I think it was a lot of David Gilmours tinkering that helped with Fender changing that. Now days his 7 position wiring is an off the shelf product. Forgot the guitar, anyway, it has a switch under each position, giving I think 11 options and of course there are many companies who focus in this arena of guitar parts now days, sucking the last blood out of a generation and its post retro generaton (gen X) for parts.

I just dont use anything but a heavy metal pickup and a single coil neck. Even if "Little Wing" was arguably recorded with 4th position (ie match sticks lol), I can get the same tone from the 5.6k Single Coil neck. Although I am loving the P90s and emulating strat single coil tones with them, so much variety in one pickup. The HSS or fat strat is truly versatile for so many players whether they using 7 way selectors or 3 way.

Anyway, I got an email back from Thomann. They WILL charge GST on items under $1000. They will NOT charge GST on items over $1k. I explained this is contrary to what we are expected to pay for sub $1k items, but that is their final word on the matter. So whoever said there is no reclaiming GST from Customs, that kind of then makes Thomann 15% more expensive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Gitar wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:05 pm Anyway, I got an email back from Thomann. They WILL charge GST on items under $1000. They will NOT charge GST on items over $1k. I explained this is contrary to what we are expected to pay for sub $1k items, but that is their final word on the matter. So whoever said there is no reclaiming GST from Customs, that kind of then makes Thomann 15% more expensive.
I'm really confused as to what you think the policy is on GST collection overseas, as what they have stated is exactly what the law requires.

Upto $1000 NZD - Overseas retailer is expected to charge GST (UNLESS they sell less than $60k worth of product a year to NZ).
Over $1000 NZD - NZ customs to collect GST.