Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Anybody else import from Online or use Reverb?

Post by Gitar »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:54 pm I'm really confused as to what you think the policy is on GST collection overseas, as what they have stated is exactly what the law requires.

Upto $1000 NZD - Overseas retailer is expected to charge GST (UNLESS they sell less than $60k worth of product a year to NZ).
Over $1000 NZD - NZ customs to collect GST.
Im confused with, if we are able to import goods up to $1000 GST free, how are we meant to avoid this if it is being applied?

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by wavesofffear »

Gitar wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:54 pm I'm really confused as to what you think the policy is on GST collection overseas, as what they have stated is exactly what the law requires.

Upto $1000 NZD - Overseas retailer is expected to charge GST (UNLESS they sell less than $60k worth of product a year to NZ).
Over $1000 NZD - NZ customs to collect GST.
Im confused with, if we are able to import goods up to $1000 GST free, how are we meant to avoid this if it is being applied?
We aren't "able to import goods up to $1000 GST free". The retailer is supposed to collect the GST on our behalf, however there is an exemption if they sell less than 60k worth of goods to NZ per annum. Fortunately for us, this exemption applies to the vast majority of online music retailers.

Are you still looking at the Ibanez RG370AHMZ-BMT?

If so, I suggest buying from here: https://www.musicstore.com/en_OT/EUR/Ib ... 040953-000

I entered my address and got quoted just €60 for shipping to NZ. Music Store don't charge GST, and at €463.40 (~$753 at current rates), you'll have no problems at customs.

Only downside is that, like Thomann, it appears to be on back order.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

wavesofffear wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:26 pm
It was one of the guitars I was considering, its essentially the same as the RG470 in the US, but with the better trem. I like the stain they both use. Its one of the better value double locking trem guitars. I WISH Ibanez did a budget S series version. Id love to get an s470 body and put a 12" radius neck on it. I enjoy the Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder, sustainiac model, but Id rather go used or build what I want than pay $2k etc. But I prefer the Schecter neck. I like a 42mm nut, 19-21mm 1st-12th depth and 12" radius, but don't mind the 12-16" compound necks either.

I may end up building If I cant get exactly what I want etc.

But thanks a lot, I will check them out, $60EU is insanely cheap, vs $150US (expediated).

Well Im not buying from Thomann ever then, Id rather buy from Sweetwater or Andertons or possibly these guys you just listed. I'd have thought Thomann were doing more than $60k to NZ. I always thought that if GST was applied you could have it reimbursed by Customs, but knowing thats not the case makes avoiding anybody who applies it a priority for me. Maybe we should adhere to the front page which companies are not applying GST etc.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg

Post by wavesofffear »

Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 am Maybe we should adhere to the front page which companies are not applying GST etc.
What is this? Narcs anonymous? :rofl:

Thomann will definitely be selling >60k to NZ, so you can't blame them really. Music Store are a major retailer though - I ordered from them a few times when I lived in Germany and they were great. Shipping from Germany is also really cheap, even for retail customers, so I'm not surprised they get such good rates.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

wavesofffear wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:48 am
Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 am Maybe we should adhere to the front page which companies are not applying GST etc.

Thomann will definitely be selling >60k to NZ, so you can't blame them really. Music Store are a major retailer though - I ordered from them a few times when I lived in Germany and they were great. Shipping from Germany is also really cheap, even for retail customers, so I'm not surprised they get such good rates.
I'm guessing there are some people on this forum that has a stake in helping NZ music retailers to do well?

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

wavesofffear wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:48 am

Haha, I aint no snitch ;-p.

Nah I just meant to help people when importing to know if they going to pay 15% extra that they cant claim back (it applies it post checkout is my understanding).

Yeah Im the same, I use to live close to where Thomann are situated. So have a bit of a bias toward them. Which is dissapointing, given as you said they highly likely sell more than $60k but still charge 15% GST on items under $1k.

So Im looking at Andertons now, aside from not paying GST, the NZ$ to the pound is below $2, $1.91. I remember as a kid the pound being like $3.30 or something. Our economy really headed north under Key love or hate him, was 73c to $1AU when I left and was 97c when I returned couple decades later.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-rg37 ... moon-burst
Its in stock at Andertons, although the price aint great $479GBP. Currently ~$912, so unlikely to get it here under $1k

Sweetwater may have stock of the 470ahm, although $550usd, Ive seen it at $500usd before. Thats ~$860, probably would be just over, it was definitely possible when I started looking with them.... the economies are all over the shop clearly https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... moon-burst

A number of floyds and Andertons. https://www.andertons.co.uk/floyd-rose- ... ?orderBy=3

That squier contemporary HH FR has a nice neck, ~$570NZD plus shipping. Rockshop has them at $1049.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 am
It was one of the guitars I was considering, its essentially the same as the RG470 in the US, but with the better trem. I like the stain they both use. Its one of the better value double locking trem guitars. I WISH Ibanez did a budget S series version. Id love to get an s470 body and put a 12" radius neck on it. I enjoy the Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder, sustainiac model, but Id rather go used or build what I want than pay $2k etc. But I prefer the Schecter neck. I like a 42mm nut, 19-21mm 1st-12th depth and 12" radius, but don't mind the 12-16" compound necks either.

I may end up building If I cant get exactly what I want etc.

But thanks a lot, I will check them out, $60EU is insanely cheap, vs $150US (expediated).

Well Im not buying from Thomann ever then, Id rather buy from Sweetwater or Andertons or possibly these guys you just listed. I'd have thought Thomann were doing more than $60k to NZ. I always thought that if GST was applied you could have it reimbursed by Customs, but knowing thats not the case makes avoiding anybody who applies it a priority for me. Maybe we should adhere to the front page which companies are not applying GST etc.
Thomann do sell more than 60k and that’s why they charge gst in-line with the govt regulations on items under $1000 as they and I have explained to you.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg

Post by wavesofffear »

Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:29 am Yeah Im the same, I use to live close to where Thomann are situated. So have a bit of a bias toward them. Which is dissapointing, given as you said they highly likely sell more than $60k but still charge 15% GST on items under $1k.
I think there's still some misunderstanding here. Thomann are (legally) obligated to collect GST from us because they sell more than $60k. It's not by choice.
Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:29 am So Im looking at Andertons now, aside from not paying GST, the NZ$ to the pound is below $2, $1.91. I remember as a kid the pound being like $3.30 or something. Our economy really headed north under Key love or hate him, was 73c to $1AU when I left and was 97c when I returned couple decades later.
It's more a case of the UK economy heading south. The FTSE100 has barely recovered to it's pre-Dotcom bubble peak! They had a shocker of a 20th century (global empire -> cute cultural relic) and the decline has continued since.
Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:43 am
https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-rg37 ... moon-burst
Its in stock at Andertons, although the price aint great $479GBP. Currently ~$912, so unlikely to get it here under $1k

Sweetwater may have stock of the 470ahm, although $550usd, Ive seen it at $500usd before. Thats ~$860, probably would be just over, it was definitely possible when I started looking with them.... the economies are all over the shop clearly https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... moon-burst
Just go with Music Store. The wait is only a month (auspicious est. arrival date too!)

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Ok so the squier works out ~$769 delivered. Based on people have said they do not charge GST. Thats not bad if you want a cheap way to learn how to incorporate the trem into your shred style (if you are new to it)

BUT

As far as the trem goes. I honestly dont think there is much value in upgrading the $79 FR Special. Will need a new arm $20, a new block Brass $80 - Tungsten $220, pro saddle set $110 (or $100 for normal), you could do the tuning worms to stainless too. Minimum $220ish, well saddle and worms would be minimum ~$180. Still it works out a lot cheaper than a FR1000 or OG.

But the Gotoh GE1996T is about $250, cheaper imported, sell the Special for $50, so $200 even.

It all adds up, too much. I think Fender are heading in the right direction.

The Kramer Striker I quite like. Especially in that Wild Ivy maple top, mahogany body, maple/laurel neck. 24fret med-Jumbo frets. I find the neck dimensions rather intriguing. It uses an old school strat style nut at 41.3mm, its a modern C shape, with a 12.6" radius. Its almost like the Fender Strat neck evolution. Again, licensed floyd rose. HSS pickups look half decent, but definitely a project platform. The original Hockey Stick. Could be an interesting neck to try out.

Again I return to one guitar in NZ that is not cheaper imported and costs sweet FA if you are a shred focused player, the Jackson JS32 FR, $649 locally.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

wavesofffear wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:25 pm
It's more a case of the UK economy heading south. The FTSE100 has barely recovered to it's pre-Dotcom bubble peak! They had a shocker of a 20th century (global empire -> cute cultural relic) and the decline has continued since.

Just go with Music Store. The wait is only a month (auspicious est. arrival date too!)
Yes quite true, although right now voltality is about. We were down 25c on the US and now we are up 13c on the GBP since end of Feb.

Yep I will be looking into Music store, I was always more than happy to wait the non expediated shipping.

Im also waiting on Artist to get stock of this OG FR Shredder that supposedly has a 5a maple top on it (will believe that with photos as is subjective), could quite be my "fun" guitar for the year without spending $3k. Chuck one of the sustainiac models up the front and fun for days

But Im always going to import, my preference is Euro so the music store with the low cost shipping is in the sweet spot.

And PS: I always understood the Thomann situation, I was clarifying some differing information from them, not asking questions, I just couldnt be bothered responding to misguided sanctimonious emoism. But I appreciate your tone and your tips. That Ibanez through them works out WAY cheeper Cheers mate :-)

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:14 pm I just couldnt be bothered responding to misguided sanctimonious emoism.
That has to be the frontrunner for the sentence of the week award :clap:
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Too much white
Last edited by Gitar on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

Last edited by Gitar on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Gitar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:43 pm OH crap this is going to come in close to $1k but is also very close o what I said I was considering doing with the Artist tele.

https://images.musicstore.de/images/160 ... 56-000.jpg
If you want to do something with something similar, I have this tele I can part with:

Its a chinese copy of a Jim Root Tele, has Mr Glyn's Attitudes in it but can be changed..