NGD: Schecter Nick Johnston SSS

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

NGD: Schecter Nick Johnston SSS

Post by NippleWrestler »

Strats are apparently like buses. You wait for ages and then 2 come along at the same time. I wasn't looking for this but someone offered it in trade for my MIJ Ibanez RG so here it is.

This is a very nice guitar. Very well made. Plays superbly. Looks cool if you can get on board with the brightness of the green (seafoam it ain't). Great neck. Good pickups. A solid trem with a big block.

Annoyingly nice. It's challenging any notion I may have unconsciously held about where guitars are built. This is an Indonesian Schecter, retails for $2300 in NZ (in lefty, the right is $2k), and has many features I rather personally prefer.

Some cool features:
  • Ebony board.
    14" radius.
    Brass circle inlays.
    Roasted maple neck.
    Spoke wheel truss rod adjust.
    Locking tuners.
    Graphtech nut.
    Big mushroom head strap buttons (*underrated imo).
    Little cutaway around the handshake (like a Jackson).
    Big trem block
    Master vol/tone witjh a regular 5 way
    Very bright green
    Side mounted jack
    Impeccable fretwork. Seriously. The only frets I've seen like this have been ESP Japan
Here's the inlays, ebony board, and spoke wheel thing:

2 pt trem:

More inlays:

Handshake:

The headstock shape isn't my favourite but works well enough:

The neck is chunkier than I expected. I don't know why but I was expecting a shreddy chopstick thing but it's meaty, bigger than the Tokai neck, and feels bigger than a '60s Gibson. I like it. The roasted maple is satin finish so no sticky gloss back there and it just sits pleasantly in the hand. With a 14" radius and jumbo frets you can get your wank on too but I find it reassuring to have the amount of timber under your fingers for when you're just rocking a Bm chord.

Since I couldn't find any info or specs anywhere about the pickups I did some measurements:

Bridge - 8.6k
Middle - 6.5k
Neck - 6.2k

B+M - 3.8k
M+N - 3.2k

That tells me they're using different winds for each position rather than lumping the same pup in each spot like a lot of other brands (easier to produce that way) and they're honestly really nice. Bright enough, spanky, a great mid-gain tone that responds nicely to what I'm trying to do. The bridge has a lot of balls for a strat bridge with minimal hiss and schmutz. The cavity might be shielded but tbh I didn't look. I've seen pictures that it's a swimming pool route under there so it wouldn't surprise me if shielding paint was used. They're a little hotter than your typical strat, they sound like A5 magnets (I've seen that mentioned online so that sounds right).

I had my Tokai refretted and setup last week by a pro here in Auckland. This Schecter has better fretwork. I'm not sure how I feel about that but whichever way you slice it this is some good work.

Colour me impressed.

Have an artwank photo:

Last edited by NippleWrestler on Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Re: NGD: Schecter Nick Johnston SSS

Post by jeremyb »

These are killer guitars, congrats!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Congrats, the Indonesian Schecters are really well made. I'm gassing for the Aaron Marshall model when it finally gets released. Won't help me play like him, unfortunately.
Loving it so far

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I've seen more left-handed guitars in the forum in the last two days than I have the last time I visited my local music store.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

StratMatt wrote: ↑Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:54 pm Congrats, the Indonesian Schecters are really well made. I'm gassing for the Aaron Marshall model when it finally gets released. Won't help me play like him, unfortunately.
As good as this guitar is, I can still only play like me.

The Aaron Marshall looks a bit like a Solar crossed with PRS. It's purdy.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 335 times
Been liked: 213 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I like the jack being on the side, and one tone knob. Ebony board on a strat is a nice change also. Congrats πŸ‘

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

I actually just picked up one of these in Atomic Coral (pink). Totally agree with everything you've stated above, it's a banger of a guitar. I'm a total Schecter convert.

Mine is an HSS which has been converted from an SSS. Didn't realise this til I got it home, but it's no bother. The wiring is a bit up to shit, but that's an easy enough fix. I'm going to put a JB in the bridge and leave the single coils stock; they're great as-is. Winning!
Loving it so far

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Now that's my kind of Strat, I'd prefer it proper right handed though.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

StratMatt wrote: ↑Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:34 pm I actually just picked up one of these in Atomic Coral (pink). Totally agree with everything you've stated above, it's a banger of a guitar. I'm a total Schecter convert.

Mine is an HSS which has been converted from an SSS. Didn't realise this til I got it home, but it's no bother. The wiring is a bit up to shit, but that's an easy enough fix. I'm going to put a JB in the bridge and leave the single coils stock; they're great as-is. Winning!
Did they cut the pickguard to accommodate the HB? I was thinking of doing the same thing to this one.

Interestingly there's a swimming pool route under the pickguard and the pickups are made by g&b from Korea who make pickups for just about everyone who builds guitars there.

Agreed on the wiring. On mine nothing was trimmed so they just bundled up all the loose wire into a cable tie. Admittedly that could be worse but it's a bit of a chore to get around when I was adding a treble bleed yesterday (a good move btw).

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

NippleWrestler wrote: ↑Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm
StratMatt wrote: ↑Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:34 pm I actually just picked up one of these in Atomic Coral (pink). Totally agree with everything you've stated above, it's a banger of a guitar. I'm a total Schecter convert.

Did they cut the pickguard to accommodate the HB? I was thinking of doing the same thing to this one.

Interestingly there's a swimming pool route under the pickguard and the pickups are made by g&b from Korea who make pickups for just about everyone who builds guitars there.

Agreed on the wiring. On mine nothing was trimmed so they just bundled up all the loose wire into a cable tie. Admittedly that could be worse but it's a bit of a chore to get around when I was adding a treble bleed yesterday (a good move btw).
Affirmative on the pickguard cut. Could have been a tidier job in that regard, but I can live with it.

Someone has also replaced the vol with a push/push pot which I suspect is linear taper as it darkens up the tone real fast. I'll look at doing a treble bleed when I sort that out.
Loving it so far

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Thoughts on the neck profile? Every Schecter I've played has been shreddy thin.
Jops wrote: ↑Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: ↑Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:11 pm

All the schecters I've played have been baseball bats :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

It's pretty thick tbf. Thicker than any fender I've played, but I think that's down to the fingerboard being an absolute plank. It's a very thick chunk of ebony.

It's a pretty hefty neck, but the fretwork is so good it feels a lot faster.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: ↑Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:40 pm

All the schecters I've played have been baseball bats :rofl:
To be fair I haven't played any since 2008, and they were all very low-end models. So not probably reflective of the whole!
Jops wrote: ↑Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

StratMatt wrote: ↑Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:06 pm
NippleWrestler wrote: ↑Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Affirmative on the pickguard cut. Could have been a tidier job in that regard, but I can live with it.

Someone has also replaced the vol with a push/push pot which I suspect is linear taper as it darkens up the tone real fast. I'll look at doing a treble bleed when I sort that out.
Is it an angled humbucker then? I couldn't find a straight orientation of humbucker which would hide the original screw holes. I think this guitar would really benefit from a bridge HB.