Who in Wgtn does finishing work?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Who in Wgtn does finishing work?

Post by Starfire »

Keen to have a matching headstock done on my Jazzmaster (Ocean Turquoise metallic nitro). Is there anyone in Wellington who does this sort of work?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Who in Wgtn does finishing work?

Post by clubhouse »

Nice.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Starfire wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:59 pm Keen to have a matching headstock done on my Jazzmaster (Ocean Turquoise metallic nitro). Is there anyone in Wellington who does this sort of work?
Not sure who is doing finish work down there. It would be very difficult to match existing colour, as an aside. Especially so with metallics.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:41 am
Starfire wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:59 pm Keen to have a matching headstock done on my Jazzmaster (Ocean Turquoise metallic nitro). Is there anyone in Wellington who does this sort of work?
It would be very difficult to match existing colour, as an aside. Especially so with metallics.
This. Especially if your JM has aged a bit.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Sounds unusual but a car paint shop could match it in poly/acylic, and then you could get it into an aerosol. Might cost. $100 for the mixing etc, but you’d get real close and modern car paint is good for guitars, generally speaking.
Does it have a logo? Have to manage that too if so.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

GrantB wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 am Sounds unusual but a car paint shop could match it in poly/acylic, and then you could get it into an aerosol. Might cost. $100 for the mixing etc, but you’d get real close and modern car paint is good for guitars, generally speaking.
I thought about the DIY aerosol option. Maybe if it were a cheapie or partscaster, but it's my most beloved (and only) guitar, and one I'm likely to keep for life, so I really want a pro job.

Has a headstock logo, yes. I have a source for accurate repros, though. I'm told that with COA and serial number, Fender will send a replacement, but I haven't tested that.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Starfire wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:45 am
GrantB wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 am Sounds unusual but a car paint shop could match it in poly/acylic, and then you could get it into an aerosol. Might cost. $100 for the mixing etc, but you’d get real close and modern car paint is good for guitars, generally speaking.
I thought about the DIY aerosol option. Maybe if it were a cheapie or partscaster, but it's my most beloved (and only) guitar, and one I'm likely to keep for life, so I really want a pro job.

Has a headstock logo, yes. I have a source for accurate repros, though. I'm told that with COA and serial number, Fender will send a replacement, but I haven't tested that.
I only found one company that supplies nitro in cans, and they're in Auckland/Northland and won't courier it.

If you wanted to send me the neck and the colour codes I could spray it for you. Happy to send some photos examples of my work in a week or so when I'm done sanding.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:57 am If you wanted to send me the neck and the colour codes I could spray it for you. Happy to send some photos examples of my work in a week or so when I'm done sanding.
Thanks. This was an option I'd thought of, but I hoped to take it to someone local so they'd have the body for reference since, as you point out, it's likely to be tricky to match.

The guitar is pristine, so I'd think that some fresh OTM and untinted clear would be a good match (variations in paints and being applied at a later date notwithstanding). Maybe you could to a test piece and send it to me to check against the guitar, then I could send you the neck if the sample is a good match?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

It’s a lot to consider for your fav guitar!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Starfire wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:17 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:57 am If you wanted to send me the neck and the colour codes I could spray it for you. Happy to send some photos examples of my work in a week or so when I'm done sanding.
Thanks. This was an option I'd thought of, but I hoped to take it to someone local so they'd have the body for reference since, as you point out, it's likely to be tricky to match.

The guitar is pristine, so I'd think that some fresh OTM and untinted clear would be a good match (variations in paints and being applied at a later date notwithstanding). Maybe you could to a test piece and send it to me to check against the guitar, then I could send you the neck if the sample is a good match?
Yep, get me a paint code and I'll do a test piece for ya.