Oops, I'm a PRS...here's a Gibson.

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Oops, I'm a PRS...here's a Gibson.

Post by clubhouse »

robthemac wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:15 pm
clubhouse wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:11 pm Looks like my long weekend is sorted...cavity probing apparently...oh, the joy :thumbup:
Will you try and troubleshoot the guitar stuff as well?
Multi-tasking...give me a tasty short shot and I'll have your cavity well tidied, copper lined and plugged...annnd your guitar as well...annnd I'll be whistling a little ditty for your pleasure and delectation whilst merrily pressing home the copper...oh, the joy is never ending, never ending, please make it end :lol:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

clubhouse wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:11 pm Looks like my long weekend is sorted...cavity probing apparently...oh, the joy :thumbup:
I suddenly feel redundant around here :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

clubhouse wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:29 pm
Multi-tasking...give me a tasty short shot and I'll have your cavity well tidied, copper lined and plugged...annnd your guitar as well...annnd I'll be whistling a little ditty for your pleasure and delectation whilst merrily pressing home the copper...oh, the joy is never ending, never ending, please make it end :lol:
If you want cheap copper adhesive backed tape for lining your cavities, slug tape from bunnings is the go to!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 pm
GrantB wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:27 pm Also, I think we need another level…Mannix.
Above PRS obviously.
Mannix...doh, I get it now. Google said,

"Re: Mannix guitars????
Unread post by Edwards » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:55 pm

The 26 pieces are made in Mongolia by unskilled chimpanzees then sent to China for assembly by 8 month old children in kindergartens."

You guys...so nerdy, so very loveably nerdy :lol:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:22 pm
GrantB wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:27 pm Also, I think we need another level…Mannix.
Above PRS obviously.
Obviously
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:31 pm
clubhouse wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:29 pm

If you want cheap copper adhesive backed tape for lining your cavities, slug tape from bunnings is the go to!
Hey, no shit?! Great tip, squire :thumbup: As a coincidence, me and the boss have a trip to Bunnings chalked in for the weekend...at our age we call them date-nights :lol:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Well...after this morning's cavity probe, I have this to report:

Gave the jack socket a squirt of DeOxit prior to further probing incase it was a simply contact oxidisation fault. Tested. No change :thumbdown:
Stupidly simple guitar to disassemble/reassemble...wow, I love it :thumbup:
Cavity is indeed tight
Visual inspection revealed nothing unusual. Probing commenced. Nothing immediately weird. Further disassembly commenced to enable copper lining
Pots out. Boom...wire from vol pot to tailpiece stud mounting came away from pot despite the large blob of solder supposedly anchoring it there...suspect this may be the culprit. Re-soldered.
(should have reassembled at this point to test hypothesis but continued with cavity lining as I'm a crap methodologist)
Copper screening tape applied and tested for continuity to ground, check.
Reassembly...poo...corner of plastic jack socket mounting disintegrated before reassembly...added to shopping list. 3 screws are holding it together for now.
Test...success! Substantially quieter and as I recall. Still a bit hissy but well within acceptability for a P90 at low amp vol.
Conclusion: Joints...good joints are a must :winky:

Be I ready for skanking...partners in crime.jpg
Be I ready for skanking...partners in crime.jpg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 1846 times

Tweaked D string pole piece up and B string pole piece down...far better balance across the string set.

Thanks to all concerned for the right-on advice! :thumbup:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Nice one, so the hum wouldn't have been getting quieter when you touched the strings?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:12 pm Nice one, so the hum wouldn't have been getting quieter when you touched the strings?
Nah...and I didn't pick up on that one. I was more focused on the hum getting louder and quieter when I moved the guitar in relation to the amp. With it parallel to the speakers it was very hummy/buzzy and then it died down a smidge when I turned to point the headstock right to the speakers. EMF, man...spooky shit :lol:

Hey, as an aside. Is it rock instrument playing dudes that fetishise the most about their gear? I mean, do the violin crowd swap out their bow horse hair for that combed from the tails of albino unicorns grazing on the plantains grown on the chernozem soils outside a remote hamlet in the Poland? Was just rolling some Mullard, Brimar and Telefunken valves through V2 in the Twin and thought, 'what the fuck am I doing?' :crazy:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

clubhouse wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:33 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:12 pm Nice one, so the hum wouldn't have been getting quieter when you touched the strings?
Nah...and I didn't pick up on that one. I was more focused on the hum getting louder and quieter when I moved the guitar in relation to the amp. With it parallel to the speakers it was very hummy/buzzy and then it died down a smidge when I turned to point the headstock right to the speakers. EMF, man...spooky shit :lol:

Hey, as an aside. Is it rock instrument playing dudes that fetishise the most about their gear? I mean, do the violin crowd swap out their bow horse hair for that combed from the tails of albino unicorns grazing on the plantains grown on the chernozem soils outside a remote hamlet in the Poland? Was just rolling some Mullard, Brimar and Telefunken valves through V2 in the Twin and thought, 'what the fuck am I doing?' :crazy:
The classical musicians absolutely froth over gear. They don't have much, but the gear they do have they spend insane amount on.

I have a friend who is a professional violin player, playing in NZ, UK and now Australia for a number of years. She thinks that NZD$10,000 on a bow is common in her circles.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

robthemac wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:59 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:33 pm

The classical musicians absolutely froth over gear. They don't have much, but the gear they do have they spend insane amount on.

I have a friend who is a professional violin player, playing in NZ, UK and now Australia for a number of years. She thinks that NZD$10,000 on a bow is common in her circles.
Maybe she should try a curtsy?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 292 times

Post by murky »

I’ve found hum can vary depending on what you’re wearing. You’re an antenna after all, and the guitar grounds you. Poly hoody over merino T-shirt creates crazy static, which leads increased noise when you bring your picking hand closer to a pickup (even humbucker, even with full cavity shielding/proper grounding etc).

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 292 times

Post by murky »

clubhouse wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:01 pm

Super curious - what is this blackface Mesa-esq with voltage Selector?

Loving the double cream too!

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

murky wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 am I’ve found hum can vary depending on what you’re wearing. You’re an antenna after all, and the guitar grounds you. Poly hoody over merino T-shirt creates crazy static, which leads increased noise when you bring your picking hand closer to a pickup (even humbucker, even with full cavity shielding/proper grounding etc).
The human theremin? Could it be figured out as a new modulation effect control voltage input… :lol:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

murky wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:44 am
clubhouse wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:01 pm

Super curious - what is this blackface Mesa-esq with voltage Selector?

Loving the double cream too!
Double cream…yeah, fanks kind sir. They replace a pair of JBL E120s…beautiful sounding in an open back combo but phenomenally heavy for an old codger like me to lift. This mix comes close but lack the ‘expanse’ (twinkly highs, smooth mids and connected bass) of the J‘bells…I’m hoping as they loosen up they’ll get more musical. Enjoying the weight relief though :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Amp is a ‘75, Fender SF Twin Reverb. US build for export, hence the voltage selector. Has NFB mod instead of master volume so operates like a non-master black face…power section wide open all the time, gain controlled at channel volume. Sensitive to noisy gats as a result. Can go from hyper clean pedal platform to compressed, ‘touch’ sensitive, growler by winding on more or less negative feedback in the circuit.

Along with a Roland RE501 tape delay (on loan to a mate up north…must visit now as COVID settles down), this rig was my ska(nking) staple. Bit old and OTT for today but has the vibe to my old ears 8) So...it's not a Mesa-fire-breathing-hi-gainer, sorry to disappoint. Hi-gain might be more of a 'rock-steady' or 'sludge-dub' vibe thingy... :lol:

Thanks for the interest, brother :thumbup: