The Cheap Guitars Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Re: The Cheap Guitars Thread

Post by foal30 »

Had a go on a students Tobias Toby IV deluxe. It’s his first ‘proper’ instrument
$500(?) new.

A big upgrade on the instruments of budget I grew up with.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

mule wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:04 am
Molly wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:06 amI'll kick off with this Chinese Gretsch Electromatic. I can't find anything wrong with the build quality. Nothing feels cheap (actually, ok, the control cavity covers are a bit flimsy). It's been professionally set up and plays as well as anything. Came with a good gig bag for $600NZ (used).

Lee Anderton gets excited about one here - though I appreciate he sells them... https://youtu.be/GRPTy21FDvU

20230203_193455.jpg

20230203_193507.jpg

20230203_193522.jpg
One just popped up on TM, I hope you collect your influencer fee Brian :wink:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3983758276
That's also got a nice dark fretboard. Makes a the difference.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Right, this one is a visitior but I hope robthemac will be ok with me posting it.
Cheapo partscaster. The body is really light which is nice. The setup could do with a finesse and the pickups don't pass my snob test but the individual parts combine really well into a whole. I can imagine this thing playing community halls and shearing sheds the length and breadth of the West Coast.

There is a rumour that Liberace has designs on this poor beast; something about sparkles... The blue has grown on me over time and I now rather like it as is.

20221204_112020 (1).jpg
20221204_112020 (1).jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 1957 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Slowy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 am Right, this one is a visitior but I hope robthemac will be ok with me posting it.
Cheapo partscaster. The body is really light which is nice. The setup could do with a finesse and the pickups don't pass my snob test but the individual parts combine really well into a whole. I can imagine this thing playing community halls and shearing sheds the length and breadth of the West Coast.

There is a rumour that Liberace has designs on this poor beast; something about sparkles... The blue has grown on me over time and I now rather like it as is.

20221204_112020 (1).jpg
There's my Jansen again
Nice wiggly cord

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:00 am
Slowy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 am Right, this one is a visitior but I hope robthemac will be ok with me posting it.

20221204_112020 (1).jpg
There's my Jansen again
Nice wiggly cord
You like the Jansen huh? In the fullness if time it will need a good home. :D
The cord is from Conway. It's big and heavy but unlike straight cables, it doesn't try to wrap around my leg. Also the colour clashes with absolutely everything.
I thought that was very even handed of me.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Slowy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:15 am

20221204_112020 (1).jpg
There's my Jansen again
Nice wiggly cord
The cord is from Conway. It's big and heavy but unlike straight cables, it doesn't try to wrap around my leg. Also the colour clashes with absolutely everything else.
I thought was very even handed of me.
I think everyone likes that Jansen
Curly cords are fun

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:21 am

There's my Jansen again
Nice wiggly cord
The cord is from Conway. It's big and heavy but unlike straight cables, it doesn't try to wrap around my leg. Also the colour clashes with absolutely everything else.
Curly cords are fun
I must dig up the albums it made during its career as a studio Bass amp.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Slowy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:23 am

Curly cords are fun
I'd really love to hear that Bruce.
My old man was a bass player in the 60s around Auckland. I have an LP featuring him playing with the Rebel Tones.
He recalls or the trials and tribulations of gigging with jansens.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:44 am Hang on. I think we've lost the idea here, Molly will tell me if I'm wrong but shouldnt this be genuinely guitars that retailed cheap rather than expensive guitars you scored for a bargain?
Because if not we should just change the thread title to 'guitars'.
Yeah, that was the idea. Indonesian Squiers that are cheap as hell but perfectly functional guitars. That sort of thing.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Bought new for $250 then about another $200 with Mr Gyn for his mods.

P1040557.JPG
P1040557.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1846 times
P1040558.JPG
P1040558.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1846 times
P1040562.JPG
P1040562.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1846 times

I play in two different worship teams, one in which there is me and the piano player. To add some variety, I started taking along a bass & would switch from guitar to bass, the only problem was that it was all or nothing with one or the other until the song finished. This got me started in thinking about a doubleneck Bass/Guitar. I searched online & quickly realised that I would have to spend about 2 grand to get anything worthwhile and at this stage, I had no idea if I would like or if I could even play one!

This is where it gets hilarious! - There is a music shop called the "MusicBook" in Pakuranga and they had a no name doubleneck in stock that they had been trying to flog off on TradeMe. When I tried to play it, I found that the bass neck was strung as a righthand & the guitar neck was setup & strung as a lefthand! and to cap it off, the bunny that served me seriously thought that you had to turn the instrument over 180 degrees to play the other neck - I just about wet myself from laughing so much. Fortunately, the shop owner arrived & quickly realised that he had a problem - we negotiated a very good deal & I left as the proud owner of a piece of junk that was unplayable plus a few extras tossed in - strings etc.

I turned the guitar nut around and restrung it then did a quick setup. It played but I quickly realised that it was a problem to get both necks to sound good through a single output.

Mr Gyn to the rescue - There was a single switch between the necks for selecting pickups but it selected both necks at once, so I had it changed to be a neck selector instead - up for bass, middle for both & down for guitar. He then fitted 2 mini toggle switches between the volume and tone knobs for pickup selectors. The most important mod was fitting a second output jack which meant that each neck is seperate. All of the electrics - pots & switches were replaced with quality components. The tuners have a lot of backlash but suprisingly, the necks stay in tune very well. The pickups arn't great but work ok for church music, I might upgrade them in the future. I play it through my SWR California Blonde which makes anything sound good. I have used two seperate amps but the single amp is a lot more convenient.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Wow this thread has it all !

lukewillasick
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by lukewillasick »

I think this is about a cheap as can be. It’s a pitbull guitars kit that I ordered and built over lockdown.
Upgraded the pickups to I think a rio-grande set from memory and it absolutely screams now, holds its own compared to my American elite Tele.
Recently refinished it with a good old can of spray paint from the art store, because let’s just say my first attempt at finishing it was a shambles. It’s rough as but works a treat.
Attachments
D3618E71-73F0-4634-B448-12ECC1147D73.jpeg
D3618E71-73F0-4634-B448-12ECC1147D73.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1808 times

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:55 am
Slowy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:23 am
Curly cords are fun
I'd really love to hear that Bruce.
My old man was a bass player in the 60s around Auckland. I have an LP featuring him playing with the Rebel Tones.
He recalls or the trials and tribulations of gigging with jansens.

Well here's one. The video showed a Musicman but the bass here is the wee Jansen.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I think if you can get them cheap, epiphone dots are great budget guitars. I got this one for $250.
20230204_180233.jpg
20230204_180233.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1733 times
It came with a great Epiphone Hardcase (gotta be $100 right?) which I transferred over to another guitar so I'm calling this a $150 job! Fun to modify until you decide to replace the wiring harness. Then they're possessed by Satan himself.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

foal30 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:03 am Had a go on a students Tobias Toby IV deluxe. It’s his first ‘proper’ instrument
$500(?) new.

A big upgrade on the instruments of budget I grew up with.
Back in your day you cut down your own tree and stole some number 8 wire off the neighbours fence and made do!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.