Advice wanted: Gibson r8

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Re: Advice wanted: Gibson r8

Post by jimi »

MiniForklift wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:16 am
codedog wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:46 am
Kiwiaxe wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:46 pm It actually isn't the one listed by Chopper... it was this one here (that went unsold and presently has an fixed price offer of 4800 up):

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=z511papb
Isn't this guy quite a collector? lostincrystalcanyon or some such on Instagram?
Yeah that’s the guy, he’s a collector and a pretty handy photographer too
Got my 335 from that guy. He has some cool stuff, and was really good to deal with.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1079 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:12 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:36 am
robthemac wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:51 pm What is a second-hand Standard going for these days? $3800 in reasonable condition?
Mine was $2700 from the UK, and it has a better top than most.
When was that? Including shipping?
That was February this year, and no it didn't include international shipping but did include domestic shipping to my dad's address in England, who then sent it on. He said it was around £125 and it got here in about 5 days.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 523 times

Post by HackSaw »

jimi wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:25 am
MiniForklift wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:16 am
codedog wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:46 am

Isn't this guy quite a collector? lostincrystalcanyon or some such on Instagram?
Yeah that’s the guy, he’s a collector and a pretty handy photographer too
Got my 335 from that guy. He has some cool stuff, and was really good to deal with.
My LP Trad came from him too, really nice lad. Said if I ever wanted to try anything in his collection come on around. Haven’t and won’t take him up on that, fear being that I’ll fall in love with something that’s not for sale, or worse, something that is for sale…

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1372 times
Been liked: 2103 times

Post by GrantB »

I didn’t realise you were talking about Roberts R7 Kiwiaxe. Thought you were discussing choppers. Sorry, but, ahhh, that Dark Back has got a new home :shifty:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:29 am
robthemac wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:12 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:36 am

Mine was $2700 from the UK, and it has a better top than most.
When was that? Including shipping?
That was February this year, and no it didn't include international shipping but did include domestic shipping to my dad's address in England, who then sent it on. He said it was around £125 and it got here in about 5 days.

That’s R9 level top, or at least flamed R8. Well done.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 371 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Incredible top on that lefty, wow. That should’ve been destined for the Custom Shop, congrats :clap:
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

MiniForklift wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:00 am Incredible top on that lefty, wow. That should’ve been destined for the Custom Shop, congrats :clap:
Yeah I wasn't expecting it. The photos in the listing made it look very flat under the store lighting and I was ready for a mildly figured top, but got this instead once I cleaned it up. According to Gibson it's a "premium plus" model which includes what they call (and only them since no real grading exists) a AAA top. You can tell them because they don't have the mounting holes drilled for a pickguard.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:53 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:00 am Incredible top on that lefty, wow. That should’ve been destined for the Custom Shop, congrats :clap:
Yeah I wasn't expecting it. The photos in the listing made it look very flat under the store lighting and I was ready for a mildly figured top, but got this instead once I cleaned it up. According to Gibson it's a "premium plus" model which includes what they call (and only them since no real grading exists) a AAA top. You can tell them because they don't have the mounting holes drilled for a pickguard.
Is it Iced Tea? Is that your photo of it, or shop? Just love that top...and I'm not really a "top" fanatic.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

GrantB wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:56 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:53 pm
Is it Iced Tea? Is that your photo of it, or shop? Just love that top...and I'm not really a "top" fanatic.
It's tea burst, not iced tea, it fades to a orangey reddy browny sorta shade. It's my photo of it taken on the floor in the hallway, softbox through a doorway to the left.