The Gibson Les Paul Model thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 297 times

Re: The Gibson Les Paul Model thread

Post by murky »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:24 pm
murky wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:32 am Formerly acquainted: 2014 R6. 8lb even. Recon it’s Murphy aged, but they stopped him signing his work around this time. Closest sounding reissue to vintage I’ve had - could have been a tele in another life….
Aroused. Whats the neck like?
Medium, smaller shoulders. Similar size all the way along. My favourite is a Warmoth Fatback 1” all the way up, this one was noticeably smaller than the Fatback, but big enough that most people would call it fat.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

chur wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:32 pm Had these for years, not much has changed. 2000 LP Standard in a red flame type finish I brought from someone (Danny?) on here quite a few years back, and a 2008 LP Studio Faded. The Studio currently has some EMG's fitted, 81/89 TW set with push/pull etc from memory. Haven't really decided if the originals will go back in yet as the EMG's are quite clear, and splitting the neck one is really good. (Splitting the bridge 81 is meh)

Studio has been my goto for years, brought it used in San Fran as a beater while living there for next to nothing so brought it back. Heaps of natural patina, and I think the appeal more than anything is the lite weight and not having to care about it getting marked. It's mega dented and rubbed raw already. I did get Alan here to refret it not long back with the biggest frets he had to get my Zakk vibrato on.

The standard gets played maybe twice a year. It's nice, but heavy, and I usually always play standing up.

20240120_171143.jpg
Zakk Wylde signed cab! Epic! What’s the back story?

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

murky wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:54 pm
Zakk Wylde signed cab! Epic! What’s the back story?
That happened before me owning it unfortunately. Its the ZW cabinet that went with his original sig head, but is really a dolled up 1960a. Currently I have V30's and GB's in it in a cross pattern. He must have signed it at a music store, as dragging a quad to a meet n greet would be rather committed.. :lol:

I brought it with Laney head from up north somewhere, sold the head for fairly much what the entire lot cost me, so was happy to have something that looked good with the JMP :thumbup:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Bitbull
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Bitbull »

This seems to be the perfect thread for me to ask, Gibson LPC with '57 classics (50s wiring). To cover or not to cover pickups and why?
BitBull

I'm John Lee Hooker in the sense that he was a blues man and he played blues his whole life. I'm a rock guy and I'm going to play rock music my whole life.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7778 times
Been liked: 4204 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bitbull wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:51 pm This seems to be the perfect thread for me to ask, Gibson LPC with '57 classics (50s wiring). To cover or not to cover pickups and why?
Covers take a bit of the treble away, they look cooler though…
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Bitbull wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:51 pm This seems to be the perfect thread for me to ask, Gibson LPC with '57 classics (50s wiring). To cover or not to cover pickups and why?
What’s the bobbin colour underneath? If they’re black I wouldn’t bother.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2504 times

Post by Slowy »

https://www.premierguitar.com/news/gibs ... rs-edition

Looking at the packaging, you just know these will be spendy.

Edit: Yep, $999 USD.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7778 times
Been liked: 4204 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:22 am https://www.premierguitar.com/news/gibs ... rs-edition

Weren’t they likely to be highly variable in those days?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1079 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:10 am
Slowy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:22 am https://www.premierguitar.com/news/gibs ... rs-edition

They were yeah, they were all over the place depending on who wound them and how they were wound. I think Gibson got winding machines in the early 1960s (but could well be wrong).

The original Ibanez Super 58s are the best PAF repros I've ever found. Hoshino analysed sets of original pickups and made their pickups based on the average findings and they're superb.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1112 times
Been liked: 1432 times

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:32 am
jeremyb wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:10 am

They were yeah, they were all over the place depending on who wound them and how they were wound. I think Gibson got winding machines in the early 1960s (but could well be wrong).

The original Ibanez Super 58s are the best PAF repros I've ever found. Hoshino analysed sets of original pickups and made their pickups based on the average findings and they're superb.
Agreed re: Super 58s. Such great pickups. I've never even considered swapping them out of my Ibanez.

I do also love Custombuckers, but damn they're expensive.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 371 times

Post by MiniForklift »

robthemac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:59 am I do also love Custombuckers, but damn they're expensive.
Yeah, that's as classy as I've ever got with regards to pickups (they were in my R8). Mighty fine tones within :thumbup:
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3506 times
Been liked: 1092 times

Post by codedog »

MiniForklift wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:42 am
robthemac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:59 am I do also love Custombuckers, but damn they're expensive.
Yeah, that's as classy as I've ever got with regards to pickups (they were in my R8). Mighty fine tones within :thumbup:
Are we talking about these ones here? https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Product/PU ... BDBNC2-SET

If so, I'm curious... there are not many pickups with A3 magnets out there last time I looked. I think the early Super 58s used A3, but the modern ones don't... could be wrong about that one. I bought a set of cheaper A3 pickups, of similar specs to those Custombuckers linked above. They're gorgeous, but a bit bright and super low output. They do match the "... warm, sweet tone..." description on that page though. I like them, yet somehow they don't quite conjure up the word "PAF". Then again, I'm far from experienced in the PAF world.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:48 am Then again, I'm far from experienced in the PAF world.
Same here. Never heard originals in real life. "PAF" to me is about balance. Not as shrill as a Tele (or even Filtertron). More full lower mids that a Strat but not muddy. Still has a little bit of top-end sparkle. Higher output than vintage-style single coils, but still has enough headroom for picking dynamics to show through.

I'm sure that PAFs vary and may not even resemble what I've described. But if I'm looking for humbuckers that meet those characteristics, Super 58 and Custombuckers are when I'd look.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3506 times
Been liked: 1092 times

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:02 pm
codedog wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:48 am Then again, I'm far from experienced in the PAF world.
Same here. Never heard originals in real life. "PAF" to me is about balance. Not as shrill as a Tele (or even Filtertron). More full lower mids that a Strat but not muddy. Still has a little bit of top-end sparkle. Higher output than vintage-style single coils, but still has enough headroom for picking dynamics to show through.

I'm sure that PAFs vary and may not even resemble what I've described. But if I'm looking for humbuckers that meet those characteristics, Super 58 and Custombuckers are when I'd look.
You mentioned you have Super 58s in your Ibanez. What year are those ones? Are they the original pickups in that guitar?

I'd love to compare my A3 pickups with the older Super 58s and Custombuckers. Damn hard to find anyone with those around here!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:35 pm
robthemac wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:02 pm

You mentioned you have Super 58s in your Ibanez. What year are those ones? Are they the original pickups in that guitar?

I'd love to compare my A3 pickups with the older Super 58s and Custombuckers. Damn hard to find anyone with those around here!
It's a Ibanez LR-10, basically the signature model of Lee Ritenour form the early 80s. It has custom-voiced Super 58s that are a touch hotter than standard. I have them set relatively low and they're fantastic.