Les Paul and Tele tuning stability tips?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 297 times

Re: Les Paul and Tele tuning stability tips?

Post by murky »

kdawg2a wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:59 am I tune my Les Paul between each song and my Tele at the start of the year.
My Tele tunes me.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Just turn a chorus pedal on, tuning is irrelevant!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

It is a thing that some Les Pauls are just biatches for tuning...and some (my '68 RI for eg) rarely go out of tune no matter what you throw at them.

But I would suggest the nut is the single biggest factor in the equation. The newer Gibson nylon nuts on historics are really good for tuning, but I would suggest less so on tone. Life is tough sometimes.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Toan is in deez nuts.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Always lube your nut!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:16 pm It is a thing that some Les Pauls are just biatches for tuning...and some (my '68 RI for eg) rarely go out of tune no matter what you throw at them.

But I would suggest the nut is the single biggest factor in the equation. The newer Gibson nylon nuts on historics are really good for tuning, but I would suggest less so on tone. Life is tough sometimes.
I'm not sure why a properly-filed nut of a material cable of getting very smooth should have any issue with a string sliding along it slightly. The susceptibility to wearing micro-grooves, maybe?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Dharmajester wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:17 am Regarding your Tele. I have found string retainers on the headstock can impact tuning. Particularly the vintage round brass variety which may not be applicable to you. However replacing with a graphtec version sorts the issue nicely. 3 barrel bridges are fine but for better intonation, slanted barrels help enormously.
I agree, I try to avoid string trees. I'd rather get staggered tuners.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

So I sucked it up and bought a babicz telecaster bridge for my Tele. 6 saddle version. Firstly, holy shit - this sounds noticeably different unplugged and the sustain is incredible. It really is a level up in design.

Only thing is... In the heat of the moment I didn't take into account the string spacing. Now the strings are too close to the edge of the board for my liking. I don't know if I can actually do anything to fix that. May not be able to use the bridge after all?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Zaulkin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:27 pm So I sucked it up and bought a babicz telecaster bridge for my Tele. 6 saddle version. Firstly, holy shit - this sounds noticeably different unplugged and the sustain is incredible. It really is a level up in design.

Only thing is... In the heat of the moment I didn't take into account the string spacing. Now the strings are too close to the edge of the board for my liking. I don't know if I can actually do anything to fix that. May not be able to use the bridge after all?
I had a Tele with this exact problem after I'd installed steel compensated saddles. I went back to the threaded steel saddles that Leo used and just dropped those pesky E strings into a groove that left enough room from the edge of the fretboard. Less is more?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

MikeC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:32 pm
Zaulkin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:27 pm So I sucked it up and bought a babicz telecaster bridge for my Tele. 6 saddle version. Firstly, holy shit - this sounds noticeably different unplugged and the sustain is incredible. It really is a level up in design.

I had a Tele with this exact problem after I'd installed steel compensated saddles. I went back to the threaded steel saddles that Leo used and just dropped those pesky E strings into a groove that left enough room from the edge of the fretboard. Less is more?
I might be able to compensate at the nut. Let's hope so.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

I have zero problems with Lesters going out of tune, I don't play them.
Works a treat.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Slowy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:42 pm I have zero problems with Lesters going out of tune, I don't play them.
Works a treat.
That might be the way of it :D

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

LP's are great when the nuts cut correctly.

Its like the blanket statement of 'Floyd Rose are too hard too set up' - only if you don't set them up correctly, once setup they are perfect - they were designed to be perfectly in tune, and are when set up properly.

Both instances above are because, it hasn't been done correctly!

Take some time to learn how to do this, or spend a bit of cash and get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

I just checked in regards to my Tele bridge question and both bridges seem to be spaced 54mm. But the gotoh one seems to feel better in terms of spacing because the strings don't slip off as easily. Weird.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:42 pm I have zero problems with Lesters going out of tune, I don't play them.
Works a treat.
Almost…humbuckers, shorter scale….cripple calliper.
Attachments
IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1975.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 673 times
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves