NGD Artist Cherry58

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

NGD Artist Cherry58

Post by Vince »

I've scored an Artist Cherry58 off a friend. It's basically an ES-335 copy. I'm quite impressed by how well built the thing is. My friend reckons he didn't need to sand the frets or anything. Amazing considering it sells for under NZ400, shipping included. I find it a real looker, too. Amazing what a good setup can achieve.

He had used it as a partscaster (or "platform guitar" which I believe is the elegant term) and put on two Mr Glyn filtertrons. I don't know what it used to sound like ex factory but it now has a lovely, rich, dark sound. Very jazzy unless I crank up the amp, And it also reacts a lot like an acoustic, which is good because I'm a very percussive player.

My friend likes to make partscasters. Then he usually realises he doesn't have the time to play them all. He passed me the Cherry on extended loan just to make a bit of space on the wall. It was love at first sight for me (I'm a sucker for F holes) and it's the sort of guitar where, if I see it on the sofa as I am walking past, I will pick it up, finding any excuse to play for "just five minutes" and having to tear myself away half an hour or more later. I've been playing it a couple of hours a day for over a week which is one intense guitar crush for me.

Anyway, after a week of playing, I raved about it so much to my friend that he sold it to me for the cost of a new guit, throwing in the pickups and a very sturdy soft case (also Artist). Fantastic deal. In fact, I was so shocked at how generous the deal was that I refused at first and only accepted as long as I could pay more.

It's completely changed my headspace about what I want from a guitar (I was actually GASsing for a tele). I love the late, rainy night sound of semi-hollows. The Filtertrons are also a nice change, I've never really tried Gretschs before so I wasn't familiar with the sound.

I usually play solo acoustic bass and a lot of it doesn't translate well on electric guitar. It's not a range thing, it's more about guitars sounding thin. This is the first time I've found anything that sounds even plausible for my old acoustic bass stuff. I feel like I'm finally on square one.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: NGD Artist Cherry58

Post by Capt. Black »

Very cool, Vince!

Love the little leaf popping itself through to check it out too. :)

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Capt. Black wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 pm Very cool, Vince!

:) LOL My wife doesn't. If she sees it she'll have a moan about the (alkie) neighbour's weeds coming through :D
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Capt. Black wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:01 pm Very cool, Vince!

Very artist-ic?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days