NGD: Gibson CS R6 Goldtop heavy aged

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

JoeBlow
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 215 times

Re: NGD: Gibson CS R6 Goldtop heavy aged

Post by JoeBlow »

Congrats. I agree with Jim; it's nice to just enjoy a guitar without worrying about a few knocks.

What fret size is that? They look medium jumboish, compared to the fretless wonder they usually come with.

That's one to cherish and enjoy for many years. :clap:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1109 times
Been liked: 1426 times

Post by robthemac »

Neck is what I'd consider middle of the road for a chunky Gibson neck. Bigger than modern "50s" style neck. But the fretwork, aging and set-up was absolutely spot on. It felt like an old neck that had been played heavily. Lack of fretwear was the only real giveaway.

Pickups were lower output than I was expecting. Heights looked ok, so don't think it was just them being set too low. Snappy, sparkly side of P-90s, rather than that vocal, mid-heavy roar that the higher-output ones have. Suited a softer touch. Not a hard rock machine. Loved the 6g6b Bassman, really seemed to sit well with its voicing. 1974x was its usual raucous self and did the British blues thing perfectly. Tremolux was a little too sparkly for the pickups. Handled a boost pedal really well. Don't think an overdrive was used in anger all night.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 830 times
Been liked: 1318 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 am Neck is what I'd consider middle of the road for a chunky Gibson neck. Bigger than modern "50s" style neck. But the fretwork, aging and set-up was absolutely spot on. It felt like an old neck that had been played heavily. Lack of fretwear was the only real giveaway.

Pickups were lower output than I was expecting. Heights looked ok, so don't think it was just them being set too low. Snappy, sparkly side of P-90s, rather than that vocal, mid-heavy roar that the higher-output ones have. Suited a softer touch. Not a hard rock machine. Loved the 6g6b Bassman, really seemed to sit well with its voicing. 1974x was its usual raucous self and did the British blues thing perfectly. Tremolux was a little too sparkly for the pickups. Handled a boost pedal really well. Don't think an overdrive was used in anger all night.
Yep agree
Being able to sit and listen to someone else play was quite useful. To me the r6 has a smooth bell like tone. For what it’s worth it seemed to do good things for your playing

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1109 times
Been liked: 1426 times

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:52 am
robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 am Neck is what I'd consider middle of the road for a chunky Gibson neck. Bigger than modern "50s" style neck. But the fretwork, aging and set-up was absolutely spot on. It felt like an old neck that had been played heavily. Lack of fretwear was the only real giveaway.

Yep agree
Being able to sit and listen to someone else play was quite useful. To me the r6 has a smooth bell like tone. For what it’s worth it seemed to do good things for your playing
Yeah I managed to hit both A and A min
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:19 am
MiniForklift wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 am Congrats! Had been watching that one for a while. The one thing I like with relics is the non-need to be precious with them, probably not going to be an “oh shit” moment when it gets its first knock or ding

Oh and thanks for the reminder I need to get a Goldtop back in my stable. Enjoy :)
Yeh but for total freedom of use they need to produce one with a pre snapped headstock
They come up pretty regularly on TradeMe. :mrgreen:

Happy very sexy NGD, what a stunner. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by vintage52 »

Very nice!!
Wellington

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1019 times
Been liked: 2500 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 am

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :shock:
Really?
How did you do that?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

As a poor man's version (and something entirely more suited to Slowy), I anguished over this. My dilemma is I'm no longer in a band so I don't play much electric. But give me a blank sheet of paper and this is pretty much exactly what I would have drawn.

I have no doubt I will hate myself for letting it go, but hey, get in line. :roll:
Nash 1.JPG
Nash 1.JPG (39.13 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Nash 2.JPG
Nash 2.JPG (63.45 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 830 times
Been liked: 1318 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Thinking of doing a demo of this
Any tips on how best to structure the video ?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1212 times
Been liked: 1402 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Slowy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 pm As a poor man's version (and something entirely more suited to Slowy), I anguished over this. My dilemma is I'm no longer in a band so I don't play much electric. But give me a blank sheet of paper and this is pretty much exactly what I would have drawn.

I have no doubt I will hate myself for letting it go, but hey, get in line. :roll:

Nash 1.JPGNash 2.JPG
I keep looking at that too, its so nice.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 am Thinking of doing a demo of this
Any tips on how best to structure the video ?
My thoughts…

Four stages of gain…clean, slight hair, overdriven, distorted

Barre chords, open chords, leady type twiddles, a small looped original piece with some overlay.

No effects other than say a touch of verb.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7757 times
Been liked: 4194 times

Post by jeremyb »

Constantly work the volume control with your little finger to look ultra cool too!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 865 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 pm As a poor man's version (and something entirely more suited to Slowy), I anguished over this. My dilemma is I'm no longer in a band so I don't play much electric. But give me a blank sheet of paper and this is pretty much exactly what I would have drawn.

Nash 1.JPGNash 2.JPG
I have huge gas for this one also. But absolutely no need, and also no cash. Please buy it :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7757 times
Been liked: 4194 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:52 am

Yep agree
I thought the protection order prohibited you from fingering A minor!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 am

Nash 1.JPGNash 2.JPG
I have huge gas for this one also. But absolutely no need, and also no cash. Please buy it :-)
Too late. :( It was languishing below $2k for a long time which was ridiculous. I allowed myself $2.6 but it had a late rally and sold closer to a reasonable price.
Another Nash slips through the fingers........