Buying in LA: Pt 2 - now with 100% more annoying questions

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Buying in LA: Pt 2 - now with 100% more annoying questions

Post by hamo »

Hi guys, I'm back with more annoying questions. Basically I'm a bit of a novice at buying gear, and being as this'll be the last time until we win Powerball that the wife let's me spend money on a guitar, I want to get it right. I'm also a bit of a hermit and don't know too many other players that I can talk to, especially ones that won't just try to sell me the axe that they're currently trying to hock.

In the interests of trying to keep this post shorter than the collected works of Tolstoy, I'll split this into two topics. In this one I'll ask about the relative merits of the guitars I'm looking at and for any suggestions that I haven't listed. I'll do a different thread to ask about pickups. :D

So, here goes:

Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Goth or Chameleon)
ESP LTD EC200
Schecter Damien FR
Schecter Gryphon Limited Edition Flametop
ESP LTD Alexi 200 Electric Guitar
ESP LTD KH-203 Kirk Hammett Signature Guitar
Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow
Dean Razorback DB
Jackson KVX10 X King V
Epiphone 56 Goldtop
Schechter Tempest A-10 Warthog
Tony Iommi Signature SG
PRS Tremonti SE
RR3 Randy Rhoads Electric Guitar (Ivory w/pinstripes)
PRS SE Custom
ESP H500 LTD Electric Guitar (See Thru Black with EMGs)
ESP LTD Eclipse EC500S Electric Guitar
Dean Dime Shadow ML
Schechter S-1 Bada-Bling
Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (outside the price range, but I really liked it - might try to buy used)

I intend spending no more than $850NZ. If I could afford a PRS Navarro we wouldn't be having this conversation. :wink:

I played an Epi LP Standard some time ago and found it sounded dull to my ears, and I prefer a crunchier/brighter tone. I'd rather buy a solid body than a hollowbody though. What would you suggest, particularly out of my listed guitars? Did the Epi I played sound muddy due to the pickups? I played it through a Marshall AVT50.

What is Schecter like as a brand? I played an Ibanez SZ720 recently and I found that the neck was quite large in my hand. I followed that up playing a Schecter Tempest that fit much better (although it was set up terribly…)

Is it worth buying a cheaper guitar (e.g. Epi LP Studio) and putting in better pickups (like EMG 81/85 set)?

I recently test drove a LP Studio (the Pirates of the Caribbean one - I'm a sucker for those movies), and it felt good. So, what am I really losing if I buy a Studio LP as opposed to a Standard or Custom?

I followed that up by playing the Zakk Wylde Epi (Buzzsaw) and again the neck felt very fat in my hand, but I *loved* the unfinished neck. It just felt so smooth and fast. Are there any other guitars out there with a neck like that?

I also played a PRS CE24 that day and fell in love, but to be fair I'll never have that kind of money to spend on a guitar. What are the cheaper PRS Standard and Customs like? I played the Tremonti and it felt nice enough, and I got reasonable pinch harmonics from the standard pups, but not quite as much as I was

after. (Ironic that I got better PH from the Tremonti than the Zakk? I think so! This could be down to my woeful technique though...)

What's the general opinion of ESP LTDs? Specifically the ESP LTD Eclipse EC500S or EC200QM, and the H500?

I mainly like to play rock/metal but also dabble in jazz/blues. All bedroom noodling at this stage, no gigging or band play.

I have smallish hands, short fingers, and I currently have 9s on my Kramer (I think). I like a fast neck and lighter strings in general.

Any specific advice on any of the guitars I've listed? Horror stories or praise.

So for those of you who are still awake, have at it, and don't hold back. I know that I need to play the guitars and see which one I like best etc, but I'm looking for advice about the general properties and qualities of these guitars to try and avoid buying a lemon that just happens to sound & feel good in the shop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

quick one
the schecter and the esp are the same guitar

get the se prs, there awsome
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Uhhh..

Post by IkeKrull »

None of the above.

Seriously, how the f**k is anyone supposed to articulate the relative merits of all that stuff? Just go to the shop, and buy a guitar that fits within your budget and feels good/sounds good, after doing as rigorous in-person comparison as possible.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

That's helpful :roll:

hamo... What type of music do you play, I presume it's more towards metal, but what sound do you want to go for, and have you had any experience with the more pointy shapes? They can be a bit strange to adapt to, and aren't for everyone... Although personally most traditional shapes feel weird to me.

From that list, for metal I like:

- RR3, maple unfinished neck but thinnish compared to the Zakk, plus they now have real SD pickups
- Iommi, it has Gibson USA pickups and good specs
- Shadow ML, cool Razorback / ML cross
- ZW LP, had one and those rock

A higher end Schecter will also have great features and specs for the price point I think. Set neck or neck through from them will be pretty decent.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

slash-ed wrote:That's helpful :roll:

hamo... What type of music do you play, I presume it's more towards metal, but what sound do you want to go for, and have you had any experience with the more pointy shapes? They can be a bit strange to adapt to, and aren't for everyone... Although personally most traditional shapes feel weird to me.

From that list, for metal I like:

- RR3, maple unfinished neck but thinnish compared to the Zakk, plus they now have real SD pickups
- Iommi, it has Gibson USA pickups and good specs
- Shadow ML, cool Razorback / ML cross
- ZW LP, had one and those rock

A higher end Schecter will also have great features and specs for the price point I think. Set neck or neck through from them will be pretty decent.
I'm a big fan of Zakk, be it with Ozzy or BLS, I love his sound. I also have a real affinity for that kind of ultra-trebley Megadeth "Holy Wars" kind of sound, the one that sounds like a tribe of angry wasps.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

200 series LTDs aren't amazing, agathis bodies and all :? 500 series are great and 1000s kick ass however they're very much a metal players guitar, and unless you get an ESP strat or an EC500 with duncans you won't cover much ground.

Same thing for Schecter I guess. Avoid mid-to-low end Epi's too if you can

The Michael Kelly would be a great idea, i'd stay away from the Jackson V just because it's hte KVX10 and has duncan designed pickups. You can do better for $850 used.

My vote is for the RR3 Rhoads, a PRS SE/SE custom, or an LTD Eclipse [but that'll set you back a bit more than $850 me thinks..

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

My kid bought a Goth Epi SG. Fat neck. Feels unfinished, but he loves it. Me, I've 2 PRS SE, a Satin Mahogany Standard and a Soapbar II - both discontinued models. I've tried the Tremonti and I'd buy that if I like the LP shape. Buy the one that plays the best, pickups can be changed if need be. From your list, I don't think that there'll be a great difference in the quality of the pickups. Just my opinion though.

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

They're probably all made in the same factory

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

raz wrote:They're probably all made in the same factory
probably! :P

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

$850NZ in today's exchange rate would give you about $640US

you can buy a used or near new USA made LP studio or an SG with that money.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

raz wrote:They're probably all made in the same factory
Except for the Jacksons on that list, those will be Japanese. Samick factory for the rest ;)

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

One vote for that RR3....apart from the arse neck dive..
Get a Jackson/Charvel from a pawnshop :)
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Buying in LA: Pt 2 - now with 100% more annoying questio

Post by Hot_Grits »

At the price point you're shopping at, most of the guitars you're looking at are made in the same three or four factories, using the same wood stockpiles and finishing materials, so the differences are really only design or branding.

Most factory built guitars are cobbled together out of whatever wood is available, and at this level you don't get guys tapping on necks and bodies to see if they'll work together. So it's pure luck if you find a guitar that resonates nicely.

But if you try enough cheap/medium price guitars, you definitely will find good ones. In this case there's no substitute to trying a huge bunch of guitars and seeing what moves you.

If that doesn't sound like fun I suggest you choose whichever one matches your trousers best.

I do know from experience that the PRS SE range is generally pretty good. They also do satin finished models which will generally sound better than 90% of the heavy poly finished guitars in your price range. Schecters in particular tend to cop a gigantic glop of tone-killing poly.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

MW informs me that Schecter, Epiphone, Ibanez and Cort all come out of the same factory.

+1 for the Prs SE. Nice neck profile (bit smaller than the schecter with a rounder radius)

Other than that the Epi LP normally have good build quality. Ibanez also do an 'LP' style guitar that look and play quite nice.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Eww, the current Ibanez LP-ish things look horrible! :P