Moderator: Capt. Black

mahtone
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: What I'd like to see @ gearfests ~ your input

Post by mahtone »

You make the Tshirts and I'll sell em!

Seriously - one thing at a time!
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I think it's a great idea.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

alanp wrote:That, and I live in Wanganui.
:shock: so do i, should catch up some time
mahtone wrote:Seriously - one thing at a time!
the t-shirts were first :wink: :lol:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Ironbird13 wrote:
mahtone wrote:Seriously - one thing at a time!
the t-shirts were first :wink: :lol:
that was kinda my point.. if we can't even organise something as simple as a t-shirt.. is it realistic to expect anyone to be able to organise a structured workshop? I know Darcy did, but he sorted the whole shooting match..
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Organizational process for workshop session at a Gearfest: "Oi oi ... OI SHUT UP YOU LOT... Gelato's going to show us some shred licks so.. OI! Sigh.." :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

Personally I think it's much easier to organise something like this than the Tshirts.

And I'll do one to prove it, if people are interested in turning up to one.

Seriously, what's involved?
1. Topics
2. Venue
3. Presenter
4. People turn up

And I think people would be more interested in this than a Tshirt....
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

slash-ed wrote:Organizational process for workshop session at a Gearfest: "Oi oi ... OI SHUT UP YOU LOT... Gelato's going to show us some shred licks so.. OI! Sigh.." :lol:
:lol: Not likely. "blues jam in A" it'll be :wink:
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

The Hamilton Gearfest will have one Main Room, three Side Rooms and perhaps... a Room Upstairs. 8)

What they'll be used for? I leave that up to those attending!

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=12335

Saturday Afternoon (1pm - 6pm), July 11th
Da Capo Music Centre
20 Norton Road, Hamilton
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 846 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

I just go along to talk shit and have a bit of a jam. I guess the current format works for me. Its cool that Martin / Ryan etc want to demo gear and put the time into it, but 5 mins is about my tolerance for watching someone widdle along by themselves on gear I can't afford.

I'd be into workshops, learning a few new tricks is one of the reasons I enjoy coming along for a jam so much, but ofcourse if you want a workshop on tapping, unless your a tapping master who desperately wants to share, you're gonna need someone who is, and who doesnt mind standing infront of 10 other guitarists to show off *and* explain the tips and tricks. Your basically asking a guitar teacher to volunteer an hour to do a group session.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Personally I like the current format of organised chaos, as I mainly go along for the social aspect and a bit of a twiddle with all the gear.
Last edited by Jenesis on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

I wanna see more cowbell.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

jimi wrote:I just go along to talk shit and have a bit of a jam. I guess the current format works for me. Its cool that Martin / Ryan etc want to demo gear and put the time into it, but 5 mins is about my tolerance for watching someone widdle along by themselves on gear I can't afford.

I'd be into workshops, learning a few new tricks is one of the reasons I enjoy coming along for a jam so much, but ofcourse if you want a workshop on tapping, unless your a tapping master who desperately wants to share, you're gonna need someone who is, and who doesnt mind standing infront of 10 other guitarists to show off *and* explain the tips and tricks. Your basically asking a guitar teacher to volunteer an hour to do a group session.
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned tapping - that was sort of a joke.

I don't think workshops suit stuff about technique really...I think it's better fitted to idea sharing rather than a top-down lesson. Hire a teacher for that, methinks. Naturally you need someone with half a clue on the topic to sort of lead it a bit, but I have half a clue about most stuff so I could do that. I've been thinking about it today and I think it might be a chance to swap ideas on some stuff you'd never see a teacher doing really.

For example:

There's several people here I'd like to put in the same room, with their amps and pedal rigs set up, and get them talking about how and where they use their effects, particularly modulating ones. I reckon everyone in the room would learn something.

I'd really like to see composition treated the same way. I sat down with Greg last week to work on writing a rhythm part for the NZ Music month last week project, and we have completely different approaches to that task. I bet getting a bunch of people together and writing something over a couple of hours would be really interesting. I know I'd learn something from it.

How about sessions by genre? Put all the metalers together and get them to each bust out their favourite metal trick? Blues licks? Jazz chord work? Good opportunity to go and swap ideas within your own style, or give others a try.

And if we can get some people to do group lessons then that's cool too. I'll do one or two.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Liking these ideas. Agree with Mahtone. Two separate things seems more viable.
Let these ideas gestate and if anyone has an urge to present a little event as described, give me a yell and we'll see what we can do t help.

Regarding T-Shirts.... I'm looking into an effective low run T-shirt printing thing with one of the printers we work closely with.
If it comes through viable enough you can have anything you want on a T-shirt and no one will have to decide what the design should be coz every crazy idea could be output.
Watch this space.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

jimi wrote:I just go along to talk shit and have a bit of a jam. I guess the current format works for me. Its cool that Martin / Ryan etc want to demo gear and put the time into it, but 5 mins is about my tolerance for watching someone widdle along by themselves on gear I can't afford.

haha, the precise reason I go is to widdle on gear I can't afford. I can widdle on gear I can afford anytime.

We all have different thing that we like about the gearfests. Some people really like to come and jam, some like to chinwag, and some like to get to grips with gear. For me it's gear I haven't tried and the social aspect. I always learn a bunch of stuff, which is nice. It's a cool way to try something thats off the beaten path. This last fest it was Fler's awesome axe-fx, Alan's amps and a bunch of pedals courtesy of Kev77.

I'd love workshops, but it would be difficult to do that to a high standard. Maybe just an informal session with sharing and talking about stuff in a separate room. Less show-offer/gawkers and more everybody chipping in. Somewhere where playing and learning goes on (including but not primarily jamming), but at low volumes and with a less 'free-for-all' atmosphere than the jam room. That would be really cool, especially for someone like me who has little time to fit in lessons. Of course, this would take space and Capt already is generous enough. So maybe a separate event?

I think the biggest issue with the gearfests is the gene pool. We just don't have a huge number of available people coming to these things. It's cool to see the same faces and have a natter by the bbq, but some more throughput would be nice. Maybe a TV ad, BG? -it worked for that model expo out west last weekend...
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Post by Bg »

Hot_Grits wrote: Maybe a TV ad, BG? -it worked for that model expo out west last weekend...
Sure, but won't everyone end up at a model expo instead of the manor?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.