Versatile Tele

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Versatile Tele

Post by GrantB »

Here's something I picked up a few years back from TM...along with my 68 SG it is probably the most versatile sounding guitar I have. It also plays real great. I'm not sure about the poo colour schema but wow, tonally it kills. These humbucker neck p/ups are powerful tho and I have set way down.

Funk is no problem on the in between setting. Jazz - yep. HArd rock - yep - middle setting with the neck vol almost all the way down. Country - hell yes.

So in all a much cheaper option than a normal vintage Tele (this is a '73) yet is retains the classic twang but the humbucker gives it a totally different set of tonal options. Someone here just got a new RI of one of these...good choice!
Attachments
t2.jpg
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Re: Versatile Tele

Post by bender »

That was me! I totally agree- versatile as a versatile thing. I'd actually prefer mine to be poo brown, but it's pretty hard to fault a black guitar.

I was thinking about coil splitting the humbucker but I reckon simply swapping the neck volume pot for a 500k one will sort the bugger out. I might even put in one of those fancy-pants bass roll-off knobs ala G&L or Reverend.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

Noice! Yeah, that neck p/up can dominate...once it's down a little it's cool, and that also gives it a bit more of an airy sound too...great. I can basically do a whole gig on this thing. Obviously a refret helped the playability.

Ben, I'm pretty sure these had 500K pots? At least one does (I think)...

I too like the brown (Mocha actually), but for some it's just too drab. Obviously next to any Ash Custom it is....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

How do those Wide Range humbuckers handle being coil split? I would suspect some imbalance between the treble and bass strings one way or the other with the whole offset poles business. Parallel might be a better bet.

I rather enjoy the Versatile Tele concept. Radian Teles with the HB/P90 combo are intended to be just that, although it's a different set of flavours than your example. A batch of tele/miniHB Radians is next off the launchpad along with a dual P-Rails example. That should be pretty useful.

I have another evil Versatile Tele inspired plan that will cause expressions of :shock: and 8) and :twisted: and :oops: amongst other things. It involves a custom made tele style bridge that carries two tele bridge pickups wired as a splittable humbucker. And points. And butterscotch blonde lacquer. :wink:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

My tele is a reissue of that model. The WRHB in mine appears to be seriously overwound and I modded to split with a push-pull on one of the tone pots. It sounds great split in that way that overwound buckers do.

The real 70s Tele customs I've played have been deeply average, though I'm sure there are good ones out there. I'm told teles from that era fare better than strats (where maybe 2 in 10 are any good).

I recently played a 73/74 'mocha' mahogany thinline with two WRHBs and it was a stunning guitar. I'd love one of those.

Ash: the real WRHBs in the thinline I tried weren't very high output. I don't think they'd suit splitting in that guitar.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

ash wrote:How do those Wide Range humbuckers handle being coil split? I would suspect some imbalance between the treble and bass strings one way or the other with the whole offset poles business. Parallel might be a better bet.

I rather enjoy the Versatile Tele concept. Radian Teles with the HB/P90 combo are intended to be just that, although it's a different set of flavours than your example. A batch of tele/miniHB Radians is next off the launchpad along with a dual P-Rails example. That should be pretty useful.

I have another evil Versatile Tele inspired plan that will cause expressions of :shock: and 8) and :twisted: and :oops: amongst other things. It involves a custom made tele style bridge that carries two tele bridge pickups wired as a splittable humbucker. And points. And butterscotch blonde lacquer. :wink:
Now this I gotta see...
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

I've always been interested in these, but I've yet to have a blast on one.

Unique, you have a crazy amount of cool gear 8)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Apparently the MIM reissues have 250k pots although I have yet to check. I'm going to have a look tomorrow before the gearfest if I get a chance and may rewire it in parallel at that point. Sadly I'm out of push/pull and 500k pots at the moment so that'll have to wait. Other knob combos I'm considering are:

1) Volumes for each pickup, a bass roll-off for the humbucker and a standard tone for the single coil

2) Master volume, master tone, master bass roll-off, varitone.

3) Volumes for each pup, master tone, varitone.

I have a Torres varitone kit that I haven't "past participle of get" around to putting together and I'm well keen to check it out. The guitar is actually pretty awesome as is, but I'd like to try some different combos. I really hope that either all the pots are 500k so I can use a 250k on the bridge pup or that they're all 250k so I can put a 500k on the neck pup as they are a little bit too imbalanced for my tastes.

holelottaluv
Ashton
Ashton

Post by holelottaluv »

I have another evil Versatile Tele inspired plan that will cause expressions of :shock: and 8) and :twisted: and :oops: amongst other things. It involves a custom made tele style bridge that carries two tele bridge pickups wired as a splittable humbucker. And points. And butterscotch blonde lacquer. :

this is a riogrande bridge and twang bucker which can be split. yep 2 tele bridge pickups strapped together. i have it wired to a blend pot so i can pan between the front pickup and the powerfull bridge pick up and all points between
Attachments
DSCN5747_2.jpg

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

holelottaluv wrote:I have another evil Versatile Tele inspired plan that will cause expressions of :shock: and 8) and :twisted: and :oops: amongst other things. It involves a custom made tele style bridge that carries two tele bridge pickups wired as a splittable humbucker. And points. And butterscotch blonde lacquer. :

this is a riogrande bridge and twang bucker which can be split. yep 2 tele bridge pickups strapped together. i have it wired to a blend pot so i can pan between the front pickup and the powerfull bridge pick up and all points between
Cool!

(and for a moment there I thought it had an old Kramer aluminium neck...)
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

holelottaluv wrote:

Hey, cool! Great minds think alike. I've seen it somewhere else too... something American.

Did you have to trim the pickup bases to get them back-to back?
I'll be making mine from scratch, so trimming will happen before winding.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

holelottaluv
Ashton
Ashton

Post by holelottaluv »

hi ash its robbie. it was the cream evolinn,you had aplay on it some years back, that guitar was fitted with a riogrande vintage tallboy twang bucker in the bridge[2 singles strapped together]the one in the photo is a twangbucker muy grande, it bas bigger pole pieces and more turns, now the base plate is stamped out of the same material as the bobbin tops and bottoms i imagine that its glued on yes then the coils are strapped together with black fabric tape
Attachments
DSCN5763.jpg

holelottaluv
Ashton
Ashton

Post by holelottaluv »

Hot_Grits wrote:[

Cool!

(and for a moment there I thought it had an old Kramer aluminium neck...)
cheers, no its sapale, yeah i remember those head stocks kinda like a V shape cutout, this is solid, bound and painted black and white, i think those travis beans had alloy necks as well. i've made alloy one piece bridge/tailpiece but i feel they put too much of own sound into the brew
Attachments
DSCN5769.jpg

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Aaaahhh, I see!
I'd never noticed the Twangbucker before. I thought you'd cobbled it up out of two individual tele pickups.
That takes some of the cool factor out of my plans, although I still have some bizarreness to unfold with my project.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

versatile tele's are great. Love you G&L ASAT, bite of a tele with the warmth in there as well.