1975 ES-355 Stereo

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1389 times
Been liked: 2133 times

1975 ES-355 Stereo

Post by GrantB »

I finally got a correct repro guard for my 355.

This was an interesting buy - one of my first on the vintage market. It was advertised as a 1970 and the photo's were average at best. I got emotionally involved with it and bid high 10 seconds out thinking no one else would go that high. They did and I paid $700 too much. When it arrived I found it had a 9/16th's neck width at the nut - my least favourite. And it turned out to be a 1975 model - one of only 69 made in that year, but still...I felt ripped off.

I felt bad about it for a long time and didn't play it much. One day I read about someone changing the stereo out and making it mono and also the Torres Varitone was getting a good write up...so I did both procedures whilst keeping all the bits n bobs for later.

Those things changed my view entirely on the guitar. I now realise I got it cheap because this is one of the most lively sounding 3XX variants I have ever played. The pickups are clear and honky - lots of airy chimyness. The Maestro is sublime and the Torres kit actually useable. And the neck - amazingly it doesn't worry me at all.

This is now my only Gibson hollow I have (recently swapped the Walnut 335 for a 39" Blue Guitar :shock: :lol: ).....

So here she is in poor light.
Attachments
355-2.jpg
355-1.jpg
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: 1975 ES-355 Stereo

Post by Hot_Grits »

That is pretty much my dream guitar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHXKlNP4-Aw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdyvPg0c6bI[/youtube]
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Holy crap Freddie kicks arse...

Hear how those pickups have lots of attack and bite...clarity? That's what this guitar has...first time I used it properly in a gig I had to wind back some of my gain stages...she barked and growled but never lost composure.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

El Chris
Squier

Post by El Chris »

she's a beauty

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Damn that's purrrrdy.

Benrocky
Gibson

Post by Benrocky »

I applaud your courage to modify a vintage 355 :)
RuBear wrote:
You mean that it's ME that's responsible for you coming here? I'm feel sincerely guilty for putting the rest of you sods through the experience that is Benrocky.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69250680@N07/

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Benrocky wrote:I applaud your courage to modify a vintage 355 :)
All reversible and only two solder joints broken...the entire Gibson guts is attached to a board with holes like on the top of the guitar. Anyone foolish enough to put the tone suckful components back in could do it within the hour.

The Varitone circuit is a nightmare and the pots are huge. The whole thing weighed like 250 grams or something silly.

So in essence no mods - the pickguard was essential as the original disintegrated completely.

Oh yeah, I had to turn a magnet around inside a pickup too...so that's 4 solder joints.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

Man she is a beaut, dibs ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

can I be cheeky and ask a ball park figure? PM is fine. I'm just very interested in buying a 335 right now.

cheers

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

For some reason I thought you said 355 in this post...I'm going mad...but yeah, as per my PM. 335's are generally less expensive than 355's!

This one was certainly below current retail for a 355...if you can find one which is probably unlikely.