Worth 15k?????

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1050 times

Re: Worth 15k?????

Post by kdawg2a »

I see it didn't sell (again) and her reserve was 30k. Some bloke bid at 15k, damn, she should have taken it!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 249 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Funny how they all want it restored..why? to keep it locked in the cupboard?

Ha then they can go play there strat (road worn)..keep it original I say
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

No way I'd be playing a guitar as valuable as that! That's a museum piece right there

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Post by Bg »

thehenderson wrote:No way I'd be playing a guitar as valuable as that! That's a museum piece right there
yet people buy cars for more than that and go driving them down streets in traffic and shit, and parking them just any old where ;) I'd be happy to play it, I'd just make sure it was insured.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

BG wrote: yet people buy cars for more than that and go driving them down streets in traffic and shit, and parking them just any old where ;) I'd be happy to play it, I'd just make sure it was insured.
Yeah, funny how people get uptight about spending on guitars and then they turn around and burn 10-20 times as much on a car or holiday or something. :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

The car people are twice as stupid as the guitar people, that is my analysis of the situation

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3916 times

Post by Bg »

thehenderson wrote:The car people are twice as stupid as the guitar people, that is my analysis of the situation
good call!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Wasting her time trying here, it is worth what someone will pay, lady is definitely better off on eBay. I guess it is the old "they won't be making any more"syndrome.

Example of stupidity in this vein, I have a Switchcraft switch tip from the last run of the 50's, using formaldehyde based plastics....happen to be the ones used on Les Pauls from the 50's, this little piece of crap plastic can fetch US$300. The collectors like authenticity.

Laughable since this one came off a 1960 Harmony Rocket, but it will still sell. Must list it 8)

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

some of the questions are quite nasty
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

sgt mukuzi wrote:some of the questions are quite nasty

Yeah I've never really understood some of the tardme 'commentators'. Yeah sure, it's almost certainly over-priced and she is getting offers that are a lot more realistic, but it's her guitar, she is entitled to ask what she wants for it, regardless of what others perceive the market value to be. If it is over-priced, it just won't sell, but so what? Some of the people posting questions seem quite angry, but there are possibly more important things in the world to get angry about.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Yeah, I think if a person criticises a trademe auction by posting a comment on it they're kind of destroying any credibility they might have had

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Oh I am so sick of this guitar. She should just forget about selling it and make it a memorial for her husband.

Some points:

- Look at the unanswered questions. People are still telling her it is worth bucketloads. In it's current condition and without being able to view, touch, poke it and pull those pups out it is worth somewhere between $2K and $10K. $2K is it has changed electronics and pups and a few cracks etc, and $10K if everything is original inside, including PAFs and there are no structural issues.
- Until she allows someone to look at it she will never sell it for the true value. There are so many little idiots in her ears she won't know which way to go. I've talked to her before and offered appropriate money - she's not interested.
- The guitar is in shit condition right now. It needs a $1K spent on it straight away to get it to reasonable.
- The brown gunk (clearly visible) on the back of the neck might be hiding a break? There goes any extra value.
kdawg2a wrote:The problem is it requires restoration and as everyone knows non original guitars are worth less than original ones.
I do not agree in this instance. This guitar will be worth considerably more restored than it is now. There is a point when restoration adds value - this guitar is a perfect example of that.

I'd happily go see it and put the fricken appropriate burning cash in her hand...but no, this guitar will neither be played or loved like it should be. Annoyed? A tad.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

There seems to be a genuine buyer who is asking to get it. (has bid twice etc) the poor lady just doesn't seem to want to part with it, she surely isn't acting like it.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Maybe she could use it as an IUD?
Brown gunk on the neck!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

thehenderson wrote:Yeah, I think if a person criticises a trademe auction by posting a comment on it they're kind of destroying any credibility they might have had
Disagree, it depends entirely on the auction. Some sellers are simply misrepresenting goods, I occasionally point that sort of thing out to sellers, most often the seller is unaware and in fact is appreciative of being corrected so that they can avoid misrepresenting their goods and have an angry buyer come back at them later.
TM is as Alan once said - "like a school playground".
If someone asks awkward questions, show them up with a reasoned response. If it's abusive etc report them.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia