Something is brewing -63 Strat

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Re: Something is brewing -63 Strat

Post by werdna »

Sea Foam Green would have been my choice but it looks a good job made.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Brian's advice is right on the money - that rubber trick is just perfectly. I know you know way more about this than me Grant, and you know this anyway... but the longer you can wait before doing the sanding the better. I found that I picked up lots of little micro scratches when sanding too early. I waited a while, the paint hardened, and the finish came up really well. I think it was a case of the bits of paint being removed would clump up in the sandpaper, and they would in turn scratch the finish, because it was still soft.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

werdna wrote:Sea Foam Green would have been my choice but it looks a good job made.
I like green, but this was a factory Fiesta, and so it must return to that colour. Yes, there's something wrong with me.
AiRdAd wrote:Brian's advice is right on the money - that rubber trick is just perfectly. I know you know way more about this than me Grant, and you know this anyway... but the longer you can wait before doing the sanding the better. I found that I picked up lots of little micro scratches when sanding too early. I waited a while, the paint hardened, and the finish came up really well. I think it was a case of the bits of paint being removed would clump up in the sandpaper, and they would in turn scratch the finish, because it was still soft.
Yes, I reckon about a month at this time of the year. I did the Jazzmaster neck after 10 days but that was summer. I don't use a rubber, but i might give it a try. What I have used is the back of a coin battery.

I have some great 3M foam pads that go up to 10000...normally I finish at 2000 and go to buffing compound.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

Your sanding plan is destined for success. After about 800 it's quite hard to tell whether you are making a difference any longer. I love the sanding and buffing the most out of the whole process.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

GrantB wrote:I like green, but this was a factory Fiesta, and so it must return to that colour. Yes, there's something wrong with me.
Some people get a little bit obsessed about the colour of their guitars. So I hear.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

What brand of compounds do you guys use for the final cut and polish? I've used the Meguiars stuff with mixed success.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I start with Stewmac stuff...med then fine, then shift to 3M scratch remover, then up to Meguiars for the final two stages. Gold Class is the final from memory.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Is the fine compound not good enough after taking it through to 2000 grit? So Meguiars swirl removed then wax?

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

At Auckland Museum, the Kiwi Music display temporarily on features a white 1962 strat owned by Harry Lyons of Hello Sailor. There is also a nice 1964 Jansen Bandmaster, which is basically a tele with binding.

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jim.h »

Has anyone asked why it needed a refinish? keep that shit banged up and battered i say :)

but that does look amazing! and cant wait to see it finished!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I agree - but someone beat me to it Image

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Ive got between 6-7 coats of clear on this now. The results are very good. I very tempted to leave it for the curing stage. I know my family would like the industrial chemical smell to be gone! Finishing work really does suck.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

what sort of stripper do you use and how many passes ?
i'm stripping a bass at the moment and I got some water based stripper (environment and all that...)
but I applied some last night....scraped it off this morning and hasn't made a blind bit of difference
if anything it's shinier!!
might as well have used natural yoghurt
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

lol. I used some auto stripper in an aerosol from Repco

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

GrantB wrote:I agree - but someone beat me to it Image
Oh god, the yellow!