1966/67 ES-335 sweet Cherry

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: 1966/67 ES-335 sweet Cherry

Post by Jay »

Host your own... doesnt cost that much...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

GrantB wrote: First of all, this sucks when it happens.

You can pull it flat but only to the string tension. And to do that you need some fancy ass equipment. StewMac sells a great jig for this.

I have just created my own tension jig before and it worked well. Just clamped the guitar down with blocks and stuff to pull neck up a bit.

If the backbow is too strong, this will make little difference. Heat and steam "might" work. Vicious down pressure over a longer period also might work but has its problems. I've heard of necks becoming lifeless after heat and pressure treatment.

Maple necks are a problem when this occurs. Mahogany less so...it's more forgiving and will move. Plane it, then refret with tall fret wire and level it out in the middle....that's about the best you can do when everything else fails.

Better still, get a new neck!
Excellent, thanks for that. I'm guessing you've dealt with some troublesome guitars? Do you have many before/after photos from any restoration work?

I learnt the hard way that the way you clamp a fret board onto a neck is actually quite important. Managed to get enough movement by tuning up about two semitones and leaving in the window of the hottest room of the house.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

My threads often have shots of before and after...

I should re-do the SG and Duo Jet threads...those things were basket cases.

Putting a guitar in the sun can have some adverse and unplanned effect....like twisting the neck, or increasing the back bow, despite any string pressure!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Do eet, redo the threads.....

Good to know, is that through the differing tension on the different strings?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Not really. Wood is gonna do what it wants irrespective of strings. If it’s not a quatersawn piece or there’s other movement in it it’s anyones guess as to how it will behave under introduced extremes.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Wood does whatever the fuck it wants.
Sauce: was a yard hand for reputable timber merchant
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

First gig.

It's a ripper! Woody goodness. And the wider string spacing works very well. Just need to put some new saddles on now the widen slightly the bridge end. Someone decided to bring the outer E's in a bit.