The WRC Family Shoot

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: The WRC Family Shoot

Post by jeremyb »

Still no idea what this has to do with the World Rally Championship.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 pm

You didn't happen to have scribbled the serial down way back then did ya? If the neck was massive, it was likely one of these LE's.
Worked out it would've been about 1989. I'd have been 24 and probably traded it for something even more pointy. I recall the serial number was in gold lettering rather than pressed into the wood. That bit seems stuck in my mind. I'm sure that's right. Neck was huge.

Regret is cruel. :-(

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm Still no idea what this has to do with the World Rally Championship.
I’ve forgotten what silly reference I was making.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm Still no idea what this has to do with the World Rally Championship.
White Robbers' Cocks?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

GrantB wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:35 pm
Oh, yeah...Wow Rare Collectable

But the cock thing sounds better.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

A bit of that 65 SG Standard toanz. Not really a structured thing, messy and timing is poo, but eh, you get the idea.

With the fingers the SG can be biting, or soulful, even sombre. When you hit it real with a pick it does compress and the midrange and uppers tend to bloom. All the electrics on this are original. The pickups are an uncommonly hot T-Top @ 7.9-8k in the neck (didn't have a cover), and around 8.2k in the bridge...and with it's never-removed worn cover which is unlikely to be chrome, I wonder whether it's a pre - T. I've not seen a T above 7.8K before so this thing is a little unusual.

Through the baby Supro (8" speaker).

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:45 am A bit of that 65 SG Standard toanz. Not really a structured thing, messy and timing is poo, but eh, you get the idea.

With the fingers the SG can be biting, or soulful, even sombre. When you hit it real with a pick it does compress and the midrange and uppers tend to bloom. All the electrics on this are original. The pickups are an uncommonly hot T-Top @ 7.9-8k in the neck (didn't have a cover), and around 8.2k in the bridge...and with it's never-removed worn cover which is unlikely to be chrome, I wonder whether it's a pre - T. I've not seen a T above 7.8K before so this thing is a little unusual.

https://i.imgur.com/TxWpLwR.jpg

That sounds bloody great. And '65 is my birth year so, obviously, dibs! ;-)

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 480 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

GrantB wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:45 am A bit of that 65 SG Standard toanz. Not really a structured thing, messy and timing is poo, but eh, you get the idea.

Ya know, I'd happily watch a video of you showing us what's in those cases behind you. :wink:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Love me a little loop action
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Pre coffee...hence the brain farts.

That guitar is living proof that (very) broken guitars can sound and play great.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I watched that then went out for lunch with it firmly lodged in my ear. Nothing poo about it.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

GrantB wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:34 pm Pre coffee...hence the brain farts.

That guitar is living proof that (very) broken guitars can sound and play great.
Is there a thread somewhere that tells its story?

It sounds great.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:57 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:34 pm Pre coffee...hence the brain farts.

Is there a thread somewhere that tells its story?

It sounds great.
We lost the photos! I'll post some tonight.

https://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtop ... matchstick

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Oh the horror...

I remember the seller saying "the head stock repair is stable"...ah, no, if the guitar cannot stay in tune because the head stock is bending forward, it is not stable. I purchase this guitar, and about a month later a 100% original '64 with nickle hardware came up and the seller was prepared to ship to NZ...twice the price, but super super cheap by today's standards. A clean '64 now is circa $20k+. I think it went for $7K NZD?

Anyway, I had great fun doing this one up and it didn't owe me too much in the end. I'll post some photo's of its private parts as they look today.
Attachments
65SG7.jpg
65SG7.jpg (270.77 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
65SG6.jpg
65SG6.jpg (126.41 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
65SG4.jpg
65SG4.jpg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
65SG3.jpg
65SG3.jpg (123.32 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
65SG2.jpg
65SG2.jpg (179.24 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
65SG1.jpg
65SG1.jpg (172.59 KiB) Viewed 3945 times

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

As it looks today. Ash helped me with a veneer on the back of the headstock to provide more strength. He is a clever man. Neck was splined, the heel I rebuilt a whole new insert for the body...but I left the cracked cavity (made solid)...no need to repair that, and it looks gnarly.
Attachments
P1030647.jpg
P1030647.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3929 times
P1030644.jpg
P1030644.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3929 times