A vintage '54

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Re: A vintage '54

Post by Dharmajester »

godgrinder wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:49 pm
GrantB wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:09 pm As an aside,...this is why I think the LP Specials represent such great (relative) value. All that’s missing is the maple top, and they price.
Or to go one further step down, pre-65 Melody Makers are good deals. Although they are more SG than LP due to the body thickness but you get old mahogany and Brazilian rosewood.

The stock pickups are shit but that makes it a good excuse to swap them to something that works for your style without feeling sacrilegious haha.
Plus you get a nice fat handfull of a neck into the bargain. What's not to like.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

godgrinder wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:49 pm
GrantB wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:09 pm As an aside,...this is why I think the LP Specials represent such great (relative) value. All that’s missing is the maple top, and they price.
Or to go one further step down, pre-65 Melody Makers are good deals. Although they are more SG than LP due to the body thickness but you get old mahogany and Brazilian rosewood.

The stock pickups are shit but that makes it a good excuse to swap them to something that works for your style without feeling sacrilegious haha.
I have a mate that has a 1955 LP Junior, gorgeous looking thing with Brazilian board It's one of the rarer models (same as the listing on TM that this thread is all about); it has a 'Made in USA' stamp above the serial number as it was their export model outside of the States. He bought it in 2015, won't give away what he paid just in case he decides to sell it at some point but it was massively less than this one

As an aside, would you still need a CITES declaration as the seller is stating? I thought this had been relaxed now?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Well don’t know about you guys, but the way the seller answered the last question makes him sound like a right tosser

I noticed that in the description he says he’ll happily blacklist anybody who asks a question that he feels is not appropriate. Yeah great tactic that

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Yes, not the most diplomatic. Look at the last question on his motorcycle auction.... wonder if he'll charge for it.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Mini Forklift wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 pm Well don’t know about you guys, but the way the seller answered the last question makes him sound like a right tosser

I noticed that in the description he says he’ll happily blacklist anybody who asks a question that he feels is not appropriate. Yeah great tactic that
Done some JB-ing... Looks a bit like a tosser too. He is about mid 50's, and you can deduce his real name from his fb account:
https://www.facebook.com/alqnicoq31 (just change the queues into dots).

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

I didn't know that Los Angeles is the only proper place to get a re-fret?

The urge to Okay Boomer is strong.
Tin arse!!

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Terexgeek wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:41 pm I didn't know that Los Angeles is the only proper place to get a re-fret?

The urge to Okay Boomer is strong.
Dare you :shifty:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Mini Forklift wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:33 am As an aside, would you still need a CITES declaration as the seller is stating? I thought this had been relaxed now?
BRW is still restricted and has been that way long before the blanket restriction on all rosewood.

However if you fly in with one, no one gives a shit at the border. Shipping might be different story though.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Jonny »

This listing is making me feel somewhat nostalgic.

My first job out of high school (back in the mists of time) was in a guitar shop that had a mainly used inventory, and all sorts of odd and interesting guitars and amps would come in. One day a relatively scruffy gentleman came in wanting to sell us a 'Les Paul' that he'd just bought for $50 at a garage sale. Opened the case and there was a well-worn Gold Top. It said Gibson on the headstock, but there were so many unknowns about the instrument that my boss was never going to pay what the chap was asking for it. Our friend was keen on cashing out there and then, so took the $250 that my boss offered him and went on his way.

Local "experts" were stumped by the guitar. It seemed to be missing the tell-tale features that would help verify the instrument (pre-internet times), and the general consensus was it was a fake. Either way, the guitar played and sounded amazingly good. Fake or not, I wanted it. After sitting on it for a while, my boss sent it up to Sydney to a vintage dealer (name escapes me now) to get to the bottom of it. Turns out it was a 1952 Gibson Gold Top with original pick ups and pots, however with replacement tuners, and a shorter trapeze tail piece had been screwed into the top, along with tune-o-matic bridge. He wasn't sure if the neck had been shaved, or simply sanded back, but it was a nice handful with a soft V shape. The dealer offered my boss $1,500 for it, considering the work it would need to bring it back to original condition. My boss, knowing how smitten I was with the guitar said I could have it if I matched the dealers offer.

So I ended up as the custodian of a proper players condition 1952 Les Paul Gold Top. It was a mighty thing - sounded like a Tele on steroids, light weight, and just so easy and fun to play. My set up at the time was basically that guitar going into a late '60's VOX wah, into a 1963 Brownface Fender Concert - amp set pretty much wide open, and just ride the volume controls for cleans up to gobs of luscious yet unkempt overdrive. I'm getting misty-eyed now...

Long story short - the guitar is gone. I ended up gigging a lot on double bass, and needed a better bass to work with. Having switched instruments, and with most of my guitar kit gone by that time, the Gold Top had been sitting under my bed. I partly felt guilty that such a fantastic guitar was sitting there unplayed and unappreciated, and selling it was the only way I could fund a better double bass (pricey bastards). I actually felt good about it going, because I knew it was going to be played, but years later as I gravitated back to guitar I found myself having a serious bout of sellers depression for about two weeks of every year. I think I'm over it now.

I think...
Yes, M'Lady.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Genuinely cool story :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Bg wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:39 pm Genuinely cool story :)
Bro!
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Terexgeek wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:29 pm
Bro!
Didn't want to go there... like at least 11 years out of date. I have to keep up with the toddlers I work with ;)

and I knew someone would fall into my trap...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Jonny »

Cheers BG. For me it's a bit more of a love tragedy ;)
Yes, M'Lady.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Litterick »

Is it worth it? Would this guitar be better than a Gibson Les Paul made later? They are available new for less than ten grand.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Is an old, rare ming dynasty vase better than a modern one you can buy for $100?
Both will display flowers equally...