One that got away

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

One that got away

Post by Dharmajester »

Mate of mine to whom I sold this guitar a few years ago sent me this link ( just to spoil my day )

http://vintageguitarsaustralia.com/pro ... ld-model/
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: One that got away

Post by Bg »

Dude...

Its old, probably needs a refret, those pots will be scratchy, paint will be all cracked etc....

I bet the price doesn't include new strings.

feel better?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

You forgot "It's a Gibby so no great loss" BG
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Man I had a similar scenario.... Not quite in that price range, but I sold a well beat up 57 reissue Strat to a mate for $1200, he sold it a year later for $2200, somebody here on the forum later showed me a link to a similar Australian website where they were asking $3800. Not quite $56000 though obviously. That's a real cool LP.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Cool looking guitar but was it really that great ? It's an antiques business now isn't it for these old guitars.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Dharmajester wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:37 pm Mate of mine to whom I sold this guitar a few years ago sent me this link ( just to spoil my day )

http://vintageguitarsaustralia.com/pro ... ld-model/
You should have put a trigger warning on that.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Nice all gold LP. If I had $50K for a guitar, I would totally be buying PAF loaded 335/345/355's.

These stories abound in life everywhere. I purchased a beach section at Bowentown for $125K - sold it 4 yrs later for a little bit of gain to buy the house we live in now. If you can find a bare section there now you need 5 or 6 times that number.

Look at it this way - at least you had it for some time to enjoy. No one can ever take away the fact that you owned an all gold 50's LP!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:55 am Cool looking guitar but was it really that great ? It's an antiques business now isn't it for these old guitars.
I can honestly say it was one of the best sounding LP's I've ever played and that's including the P Green / G Moore burst and Knopflers 58.
Only issue was the stud on the bass string side was collapsing forward slightly.

I don't particularly regret selling it as the list of vintage stuff I've had and parted with is pretty extensive, plus the money was put to good use at the time. I'm just amused at what it's priced at now and think it's tragic that regular muso's can no longer enjoy owning and playing these things.

I picked it up from Rick Harrison of Music Ground infamy. Drove up to Doncaster grabbed the 55 all gold, a top loader maple neck 59 Esquire and a 60 Lp decal SG Junior all for 4800 quid. Those were the days :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Dharmajester wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:55 pm ..it was one of the best sounding LP's I've ever played and that's including the P Green / G Moore burst and Knopflers 58.
You played those actual guitars? 😳

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

mr_sooty wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:16 pm
Dharmajester wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:55 pm ..it was one of the best sounding LP's I've ever played and that's including the P Green / G Moore burst and Knopflers 58.
You played those actual guitars? 😳
Yeah, used to know Gary and Knopfler bought the 58 from my mates store which I ran when he was stateside on frequent guitar buying missions.
Hunter S. Thompson

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Wow. You've played Peter Greens Les Paul? Goddam. Is Mark's 58 the one he used on Brothers in Arms? When I think of great Les Paul tones I think of Peter Green and Brothers in Arms.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

And you met Suzi Quatro! Was she wearing her sexy jump-suit?

;-)

My only 'one that got away' would be either a beautiful, massive neck Explorer from the 70s or the Pro Deluxe I sold shortly after arriving in NZ. Serial number ended 444 so I'll know it if it ever pops up. Obviously not in the same league as the above.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

mr_sooty wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:44 pm Is Mark's 58 the one he used on Brothers in Arms?
Money for Nothing was the first time I heard him obviously using it but most of the Straits tracks featuring LP's were I believe that guitar.
Molly wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:41 pm And you met Suzi Quatro! Was she wearing her sexy jump-suit?
Haha. Nah although the 59 Esquire I bought from Musiground was previously owned by her husband Len.
She had been in the store a week before Knopfler ( my mates, not Musicground ). He arrived in a brand new Saab and was concerned at it's safety out on the Walthamstow street. Max just said drily "Well Suzi Quattro's Rolls Royce was ok last week, so you should be alright"
Hunter S. Thompson

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Fark man that's amazing. What was the Greeny guitar actually like to play?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

mr_sooty wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:04 pm What was the Greeny guitar actually like to play?
The thing with old bursts is that some look cool, some sound fantastic and some play nicely. It is however uncommon to find a single guitar that satisfies those three criteria. The Green guitar though is one of them. It played nicely but nothing pants wetting. We all know very well how good it sounds though. Plenty of genuine 59's out there that are very average and some dogs.

We sold probably five and the only one that impressed me was the Knopfler purchase.
Hunter S. Thompson