Ready... Set... BUY BUY BUY!!!!

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Ready... Set... BUY BUY BUY!!!!

Post by Danger Mouse »

Bg wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:01 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:00 pm
Reg18 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm That’s crazy how much influence 1 person has on the S/H pedal market! At least he’s pointing out how ridiculous some of the hype is, there’s heaps of pedals that have been amazing over the years but totally over looked for various reasons. Then there’s the opposite with a well put together marketing strategy a pedal company can convince us to fork out hundreds for a slightly modified Timmy clone or some such.
Here's what JHS posted on their Facebook page recently:

"To the people complaining that I raised the price on this pedal and “now you can’t buy one,” I would like to remind you you had 19 years to buy one, but you never cared. This pedal has existed four years longer than JHS as a company, and most guitarists have hated on it since day one. No one kept you from trying it in 2004. Learn to listen with your ears and not trends, and you will be a much happier guitarist.

Next: People will list them for ridiculous prices, and it’s extremely easy to not to buy them at those prices. Just wait. They will return to normal, and people will move on to the next thing.

One more thing: people listing for $600 and people buying them for $600 are two very different things. Sit back, relax, and enjoy guitar with what you have. The point of the episode was to help you see that what you have is enough."
I've watched a few mins of his videos, he comes across as a bit of a tit really. However, 90% of youtubers I've seen are in the same boat. I must be old.

Valid points though.
He comes across to me as a guy who loves pedals and loves building pedals, but is frustrated by the stupidity of the market he has to be part of by selling pedals.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Not my cup of tea, but neither are most youtubers. Some people like Justin Guitar, I just want to punch him in the face. I'm really not much of a people person.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Every single time I’ve tried the ‘sounds just like <insert ‘legendary’ pedal here>’ vs the ‘real thing’ I have been underwhelmed. There’s a reason things get their names (those that maintain them at any rate). Klon > every Klone I’ve tried. Tim > any Timmy clone. Etc etc.

Value for money is a different conversation.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

There is no special sauce or magic in the original Klon, even the builder says so.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Bg wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:46 pm Not my cup of tea, but neither are most youtubers. Some people like Justin Guitar, I just want to punch him in the face. I'm really not much of a people person.
You are going to get on swimmingly in Nelson !

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:15 pm There is no special sauce or magic in the original Klon, even the builder says so.
And, having owned a KTR Klon (might still be owned here somewhere), and played all variants of the original, my AliExpress version sounds more betterer!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

vinylguy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:15 pm
Bg wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:46 pm Not my cup of tea, but neither are most youtubers. Some people like Justin Guitar, I just want to punch him in the face. I'm really not much of a people person.
You are going to get on swimmingly in Nelson !
Does he live there? :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

It’s almost like toan is subjective and spending more money gives you cognitive dissonance…
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

CBBAAFD6-B9F7-4863-81BE-72100330125C.png
CBBAAFD6-B9F7-4863-81BE-72100330125C.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3567 times

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

KNNZ wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:21 pm CBBAAFD6-B9F7-4863-81BE-72100330125C.png
Overpaid ;)

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:59 pm He comes across to me as a guy who loves pedals and loves building pedals, but is frustrated by the stupidity of the market he has to be part of by selling pedals.
Well said. It is almost like people have perceived that JHS has taken a freedom away from guitar players.

"I don't own or want to own a Bad Monkey, but if I ever changed my mind, I can't buy one now because of the now over-inflated prices. How dare you!"
Last edited by FuzzMonkey on Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

John Mayer started to black out his pedals because he was sick of being blamed for the rising price of some of them, was still obvious tho'....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mr Bungle
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Mr Bungle »

Bg wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:01 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:00 pm
Reg18 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm That’s crazy how much influence 1 person has on the S/H pedal market! At least he’s pointing out how ridiculous some of the hype is, there’s heaps of pedals that have been amazing over the years but totally over looked for various reasons. Then there’s the opposite with a well put together marketing strategy a pedal company can convince us to fork out hundreds for a slightly modified Timmy clone or some such.
Here's what JHS posted on their Facebook page recently:

"To the people complaining that I raised the price on this pedal and “now you can’t buy one,” I would like to remind you you had 19 years to buy one, but you never cared. This pedal has existed four years longer than JHS as a company, and most guitarists have hated on it since day one. No one kept you from trying it in 2004. Learn to listen with your ears and not trends, and you will be a much happier guitarist.

Next: People will list them for ridiculous prices, and it’s extremely easy to not to buy them at those prices. Just wait. They will return to normal, and people will move on to the next thing.

One more thing: people listing for $600 and people buying them for $600 are two very different things. Sit back, relax, and enjoy guitar with what you have. The point of the episode was to help you see that what you have is enough."
I've watched a few mins of his videos, he comes across as a bit of a tit really. However, 90% of youtubers I've seen are in the same boat. I must be old.

Valid points though.
Josh is fantastic. Very self deprecating, once you understand his humour. And it’s great how he really praises other pedal makers over his own. He is nothing like 90% of YTers. Plus he can really play. I really like some of what he does in this reverb review, particularly with the Strymon Blue Sky. Picked up a Sound Stone (cheaper ebow) after seeing him use it here.

https://youtu.be/KdgvfGQL-Q0

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Maybe I need to retry. But maybe it is because I'm a grumpy bastard who hates youtube creators.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Mr Bungle wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:26 pm
Josh is fantastic. Very self deprecating, once you understand his humour. And it’s great how he really praises other pedal makers over his own. He is nothing like 90% of YTers. Plus he can really play. I really like some of what he does in this reverb review, particularly with the Strymon Blue Sky. Picked up a Sound Stone (cheaper ebow) after seeing him use it here.

https://youtu.be/KdgvfGQL-Q0
Yeah, I’m with you - he is very silly in an awesome understated way. His employees get a little on my wick but the guy himself is genuinely a pedal fanatic (a “historian” is how he describes it) and seems to often give no shits about hawking his wares unless it’s actually relevant. Seen plenty of expensive vs cheap videos where there are no JHS options involved at all.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz