Tardeme goes vintage mad

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1384 times
Been liked: 2119 times

Re: Tardeme goes vintage mad

Post by GrantB »

deeennnnnccheeeeeee

babytaylor - yes I am...I can bring the Gold Top if you want! So far I only have a request for the 1970 355 for Darcy....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

*UNIQUE* wrote:deeennnnnccheeeeeee
:lol: :lol:
*UNIQUE* wrote:babytaylor - yes I am...I can bring the Gold Top if you want! So far I only have a request for the 1970 355 for Darcy....
you know the rules, bring everything :wink:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Everything that can fit into medium sized car that is....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

voice of reason
Stagg
Stagg

Post by voice of reason »

Ironbird13 wrote:back on topic, heres a nice old vintage guitar
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 578132.htm

:wink: :D
Not bad and whats more - a seller who inhabits the same planet as potential buyers

unlike this one... starting bid $3500

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 744072.htm

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Is that you denche?

Whether that's a reasonable price depends on a number of things....agree the $3K Jansen seller is living on Mars.

What I get tired of is the "woe is me, having to sell this beautiful guitar....maybe I won't....well, I won't relist if it doesn't sell you potential bastards trying to rip me off....this IS MY GUITAR - I LOVE IT!!!!!!!" (voice of panic at the end)....if you advertise it is if for sale....don't tell us you might not etc etc....it's a load of cobblers and no one gives a royal frig to be honest.

This is well off track and as mod I have to pull myself in line....

Some good stuff coming through TradeMe recently...that old Epiphone Sheraton (?) was bloody nice. Condition is everything in vint gat values and that looked near mint!!! Price was OK too - but not for NZ....

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Miza »

*UNIQUE* wrote:deeennnnnccheeeeeee

babytaylor - yes I am...I can bring the Gold Top if you want! So far I only have a request for the 1970 355 for Darcy....
Yeah if you want to, not too fussed what you bring, I'm sure there will be plenty to drool over.
Nothing to see here.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

no worries - just trying to minimise load while providing some relevant gear....I'll pot luck it I think...

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

I hope I'm not drifting too far off topic :?: , but:

Unique:

"It's a shame that the standard NZ vintage guitar person doesn't want to share their info - are they scared some street kid is going to find their stash if they talk about in online?"

I'm interested in old gear and consider myself fairly standard (mostly) and am scared as all hell in getting ripped off (again!). Over the years I've had stolen a Gunn Classic 100w combo (mad bastard(s)), 2 x Hofner arch-top acoustics (both carved spruce tops, one was a cut-away and a model down from the top-of-the-line Committee), a 1964 Fender Jaguar and a mid '70s Fender Starcaster (the ES-335 attempt). Numerous other odds and sods have been lent out to mates to be further lent on and disappeared into the ether, pretty much 'cos I've tried the sharing info and gear thing out with other players.

I may be a bad judge of character but I don't think my immediate circle of acquaintances were crooks themselves. I think maybe they in turn mentioned it to someone else, who in turn did the same until it came to the attention of an opportunist.

Needles to say, I'm weary of revealing too much info these days but am always prepared to share what I can, when I can as I in turn have had plenty of help and guidance in the past and present.

I've also got to agree with Hot Grits:

"I think it's difficult for many New Zealanders to appreciate the appeal of 50s and 60s era fenders and gibsons, simply because there are so few around. Most of the 'vintage' stuff that you see around is 70s era, and a lot of that stuff could easily put someone off vintage gear."

I'm old enough to have been around during the running down of the Fender brand through the 70s/early 80s and am cautious around gear of that era, especially the '3-bolters' and ultra-linear amps. I take each individual 70s/e.80s era instrument on its merits but am more prepared to talk in generalities around the 60s era axes/amps.

(1983: Went into Hamilton Pianos to buy my first new ax and was accosted by Danny 'Satan's-Little-Helper'. Railroaded away from the Tokai Tele I wanted into trying a Fender MIJ Squire Strat. Plugged in and flicked the pu selector to the neck pu and...no sound!? After Danny wrestled with things a bit, he told me: "O, sometimes the pick ups take a while to warm up". :shock: I made my excuses and ran. Got the Tokai later.)

When starting out I paid my dues on a few junk guitars and at one stage had a dozen shiddy s/s practice amps daisy-chained for a 'wall-of-sound' :D . Would read the guitar mags and froth over the 'editor's pick' amps/gats/pedals and wonder if they really did sound like all that. Later, I took the plunge and plonked down on my first old kak buy (it was just old junk back then)...a 1967 Fender BF Super Reverb (AB763) and my mind was blown open!

For the type of music that influenced me, I was finally able to cop THAT sound and that started the desire to chase down the necessary tools of the trade.

Anyways, great forum and thanks for the opportunity to ramble.
Last edited by clubhouse on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Umm...just re-read my post in the forum and it seems that some text has morphed between me writing it and appearing online. re: "that YMMV c.nt" :o

To the Administrator/Moderator....it wasn't me. :oops: You may have some weird Ghost in the Machine. Really its a nice guitar and fairly humble in its old age and doesn't need that kind of hassle. :)

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

did you type 'nineteen sixty four' by any chance?
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

crushing day wrote:did you type 'nineteen sixty four' by any chance?
Why yes I did. What's that all about?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

clubhouse wrote:
have a look in your version of 'word' it's prolly got an 'autocorrect' :wink:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

rocklander wrote:
clubhouse wrote:
have a look in your version of 'word' it's prolly got an 'autocorrect' :wink:

As you've probably guessed I'm new to this. Can you explain a little more fully?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

clubhouse wrote:
rocklander wrote: have a look in your version of 'word' it's prolly got an 'autocorrect' :wink:

As you've probably guessed I'm new to this. Can you explain a little more fully?
sorry mate.. I'm just messing with you. it's nothing to do with 'word'

there was a member here a while ago who had the handle (numerical value) of 'nineteensixtyfour'. this person is no longer a member, but ruffled feathers here enough so that if those digits 1 9 6 4 get posted without spaces then it changes to the text you saw.. no need to apologise to the mods for it cos they made the rule..

welcome to the forum too dood :D
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Phew! :P Cheers for that. Not really into wearing muddy boots on the new carpet so glad it wasn't my fault.

Rock and Roll. :D