Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

oolaef
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

'Complete' pedal kit dealers

Post by oolaef »

Hey guys,

I need to finish my amp project first so I probably shouldn't be getting too far into this yet - but has anyone dealt recently with any of those international dealers offering 'complete' pedal kits - BYOC, guitar gadgets etc? What did you reckon? I'd be looking to save some cash if possible so it would be good to know which one's do NZ shipping. After a nice vintagey chorus (ibanez cs505 or cs7 etc) and analogy delay, and a nice rat clone.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Re: 'Complete' pedal kit dealers

Post by TmcB »

I've "past participle of get" a couple of kits from General Guitar Gadgets.
Great for a first time build/getting all the right parts but I'm more of a fan of getting the PCB itself and going from there.

Shipping was about $10 methinks.

Probably for the builds you're contemplating it's probably a good idea to get a kit purely to not have to case down parts.

I've made a GREAT rat clone from a pcb I bought from a guy on freestompboxes.org. It was US$5 and got posted to me. Sounds bloody fantastic.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I've built a few pedals using GGG kits. My absolute favourite OD pedal ever is a home built Bluesbreaker clone that is basically a GGG kit with a couple of minor modifications. Great service, and cheap international shipping. As far as I know BYOC don't ship to NZ, although I know Trueman was importing a few kits at one stage.

mr414
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mr414 »

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

not complete(just sells PCBs) but electronic parts are cheap as chips usually if you buy enough, just takes a bit of time.

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

Cheers for that, that looks like a good resource given he posts all the schematics as well, so you don't have to buy the stuff to make it. Cool names too - I want to build a Kokbox now just because of the name :)

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

+1

Madbean has some very sweet pcb layouts and easy to understand PDFs. I've built a couple of his clones and they sound great. Tonepad also has great (some say the best) pcb layouts. But they don't do the whole kit.

To the OP: GGG shipping rates are here -
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/com ... rticle/190. Looks like about $12-14 US per kit.

Incidently, I was at one stage considering a NZG group buy of effects stuff so we could share shipping costs. Not sure how cost effective it would actually be though, considering the recipient in NZ would then have to distribute parts to various towns/cities, incurring more shipping costs. Any thoughts? Anyone keen?
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

I've got a couple of PCB's from toneport if anyones interested in buying them. A Big Muff and Small Clone one. Was keen to do the build myself but looks a little to advanced for my Soldering skills right now. No components, just the PCB's.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

SammyD wrote:I've got a couple of PCB's from toneport if anyones interested in buying them. A Big Muff and Small Clone one. Was keen to do the build myself but looks a little to advanced for my Soldering skills right now. No components, just the PCB's.
are these from 'toneport' or 'tonepad'. wherever they came from, they're absolutely the best looking PCBs I've seen... appears to be gold plated pads, with a film over the traces so shorting the tracks would take some real effort. very easy to follow stuff and hard to muck up (although it was obviously over simple for me cos I managed to solder in a socket backwards.. luckily it's only a socket :oops: :lol: ).
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Ah yes Tonepad I mean. Toneport is what I have plugged into my PC :oops:

Shipping was very cheap as well, was only $4 US.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

well if anyone is looking to buy boards I couldn't recommend a better one.. these really are something special IMO.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Post by TmcB »

The inverse of that is to avoid guitarpcb pcb's.
They're really hard to build with.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3562 times
Been liked: 728 times

Post by Cdog »

+1 for madbean... good guy
Check out http://www.musicpcb.com the echobase delay gets rave reviews