borge
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Earthing my rig

Post by borge »

BG wrote:first of all I'd like to suggest you use a special kind of meter, a megohmeter, so you can test the insulation properties of your body, trust me this will help. Attach the probes to your nuts and press the button :D
+1
Be sure to set it to the highest voltage for the most accurate reading.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

slowfingers wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
jeremyb.net wrote:Are you able to provide cable to wire my whole house with this? seems pointless just doing the bit from my amp to the wall.
:mrgreen:
"
Hi Jeremy Yes I can supply you enough to wire from your audio system back to your mains power board, this is a big improvement as well. Please let me know how many meters you require and I will price this for you. Cheers Jason. 3:03 pm, Wed 9 Feb "

:lol: :lol: :lol: Go on Jeremy; Do It!
Don't forget the bit from the pole fuse to your house :D
:D :D :D
what about from the powerboard to the road, as i've heard this makes the most improvement?
:mrgreen:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

borge
Fender
Fender

Post by borge »

Kiwiaxe wrote:
slowfingers wrote:Been getting a lot of earth hum from both my Teles lately. It's particularly noticable when I use a compressor (Wampler) but it's there most of the time. It disappears when I touch the strings and I've been playing with my right hand pinky tucked up against the bridge which also works.
Isn't this normal? I think that happens with all of my guitars and amps, no matter where I am.
Yep...when you earth your body via the strings you are no longer an antennae, it confirms your strings are grounded well...

borge
Fender
Fender

Post by borge »

Ears wrote:And this, pasted from another forum to save on typing:

If you are holding a guitar with single coil pickups while NOT touching the strings, bridge, or control plate, you should expect it to hum. Your human body is a fantastic power line antenna. You know that by touching your finger to the end of a guitar cable plugged into an amp. Your body in close proximity to the guitar induces power line hum into the pickups. If your guitar is properly grounded, touching the guitar silences the hum. You body is now shunted to ground and you are a shorted worthless antenna.

Your foot touching the boss plug did the same thing. I presume somewhere in the supply chain the -ve DC line is connected/referenced to earth/shield and your foot touched the exposed earth, are the Dc plugs +ve tip, -ve sleeve?
two posts up :wink:
borge wrote: The power supply sleeve and jack sleeves are all connected within the pedal...
touching the unused connector as opposed to your strings is achieving the same thing: earthing yourself :wink:
I mentioned the antenna stuff on page 4, it applies to humbuckers too :)
Ears wrote:anyway, connecting earth to the chain in the manner described is unlikely to cause you any risk.
No risk, but it will create an earth loop...

I think SF should experiment with the round spiny things on the body of the guitar, I've heard giving one a spin when you're not playing performs some sort of miracle :wink: :P