Re: This should be fun!

Post by Cdog »

Rawk 8)

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Cdog wrote:Rawk 8)
and it does :thumbup: an awesome Muff variant, tighter than most (doesnt get all flubby when trying high speed riffage) nice tones overall, and an amazing sweep on the tone control, very usable.
and that Grind Customs Tenebrion reverb is killer too :thumbup: nice subtle shimmer through to shoegazy, but without getting to intense or cavernous
then mix them with the Multiplex and.... :mental: :mental: :mrgreen:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsCzt0jH ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

First Youtube upload. Be kind.

All fuzz is the Lady muff.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

alanp wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsCzt0jH ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

First Youtube upload. Be kind.

All fuzz is the Lady muff.
I didnt realise he was filming till halfway through :lol:
the Grind Customs Tenebrion reverb (sitting on top of amp) was always on, as was the Doppleganger ,beside the green pedal, which is the Multiplex (love that pedal, sooo much fun :mental: )
it gets a bit more "musical" from around 5mins :winky:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

the Ring Stinger is an absolute stone cold bitch to wire up.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

It might be a bitch, but it's worth it! This box is labelled Mr Futs for a good reason.

This is a String Ringer v1.3, or a slightly updated Lovetone Ring Stinger clone.

The original plan was to do some engraving work on the panel, but... something this batshit, it would be like sweeping up Young Frankenstein's laboratory, putting some throw pillows down... So that's why it looks so rangi.

I tried to keep the wiring tidy, not easy with as many freaking wires as this thing has. I feel completely justified now in my work on my Low Profile Doppelganger. This one has too many components to shrink nicely, though. The transformers are in a bag since I don't have those self-adhesive board standoff thingies yet. The enclosure itself didn't fit in the vice -- the moving side of the vice came out when I was seeing if it had enough travel -- so I dusted off the drill press, moved the raincoats, dog leads, spare bowls and jars and bins (it hasn't been used in awhile) and to my surprise it still worked! (Grandad made it, and it hadn't been used for about a decade.) The only slow part in using it was adjusting the height when I put the longer bits in. Way faster than the hand drill!

This thing is utter nuts. The Octave mode is pretty usable, and the LFO on it is a really nice touch. But... touch that right stomp, and you'll hear the other side to Mr Futs. Completely batshit insane. I freaking love this thing! It will be of no use whatsoever, but I plan on taking it to the next music practice ;)

Mr Futs. First name, Nucking. Started working on the board at 12.30 (all components on EXCEPT pots and wires), drilled the box at Dad's, then finished wiring it up and testing at 6.30pm.

Bloody brilliantly barking. Ironbird, your Turpisoris is now redundant.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

:oh: :zomg:
damnit, and I have a busy week at work ahead :(

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I'm a wee bit proud that it worked first pop :) (Apart from forgetting to put one quad op-amp chip in, I remembered all the other ones...)

The VCO Out jack is frigging loud. I had the amp volume at dead NOTHING, and it was still LOUD. (The sine output needs biasing when you first power up.)

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bobiron »

Cool clip and sound, awesome pedal.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3573 times
Been liked: 732 times

Post by Cdog »

Epic build bro

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I think I need to buy an expression pedal to use with this thing, now.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3573 times
Been liked: 732 times

Post by Cdog »

alanp wrote:I think I need to build an expression pedal to use with this thing, now.
Fix'd ;)

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

well having just met Mr Futs, I must say, he is absolutely certifiably unNuckingbelievably batshit insane. he needs to be on constant sedation and restraint in his own padded cell. :wtf: :shock: :mental: :mental: :crazy:
I like him :winky: :rofl:
he also has a great drive to him, can be fizzy and harsh yet smooth and creamy all at the same time.
awesome build

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I can be lazy sometimes. At other times, my OCD kicks in. (This happened when I was wiring this thing up -- I'd get to a good stopping point, then play World of Warcraft. A minute later, all I can think about is the wiring I'll need to do next... how to route it... soldering... my poor paladin was getting no attention.)

So I pulled it apart to take some photos. I was going to adjust trimmers, but it sounds okay to me.

For the amount of wires it has, it's quite tidy, really :) One small good point -- with the jacks wired like they are, it will completely work outside the enclosure like this (doesn't rely on case for grounding.)

Big tip to make it musically usable -- tune the VCO. Play your root note or main note or whatever, and adjust the VCO frequency until it stops 'beating'. I'm going to experiment with this and a pedal once my new expression pedal turns up :) Plus, use the neck pickup. It does NOT like the bridge pickup, or a mix of the two.

Here's my next big project --

One 3n3 cap still has to go on, plus wires :) Once the cap plus a slide switch turns up, I'm going to drill the enclosure and wire that one up. I really don't want to wire it up without the drilled enclosure because I won't know how long to trim the wires.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7926 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Whats the big weird looking thing in the bottom left hand corner?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.