alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: This should be fun!

Post by alanp »

Rotary switch, selectable between 2, 3, or 4 positions. I'm using 4.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

alanp wrote:Big tip to make it musically usable -- tune the VCO. Play your root note or main note or whatever, and adjust the VCO frequency until it stops 'beating'.
this^^ :thumbup:
makes it realy fun to play then, as it will get pretty chaotic when playing other notes but as soon as you hit that "root" note, it all becomes sedated again. can get some really cool "artifacts" with this
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Yeah, winds up being a sea of chaos and order when you do some kind of pedal note tuned to the VCO frequency (as IB found out)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Finished my Stage Fright phaser (still has to be boxed up.) This is the Maestro Phaser clone by Madbean.

It sounds pretty good, very vocal and "talky" though. Liquid. Definitely a different sound to my Doppelganger (it's not going to replace it, though, I suspect -- the Doppelganger is more flexible, plus I like the base sound more.)

I just need to finish my Phase 45 board, and I'll have an OTA phaser, a LDR phaser, and a FET phaser. Can't be arsed matching fets.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

First and foremost, one thing must be clear and obvious -- this is ALL thanks to ElectricStorm's hard work. Without him, I'd've spent the day killing dwarves and night elves in World of Warcraft.

Secondly, thought I'd elaborate on how I normally do things.

I try and find an existing drill pattern. If I can't, like with the Tenebrion, I print something close to what I want (a 125B pattern, the stagefright), and modify it with masking tape, pen, a ruler, and the project board. Some people probably do impressive work in AutoCAD, I can't. My printer might be a laser, but it does those artifacts, so no good for etching. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. (The layout supports topmounted jacks, I don't like wiring them up.)

Then it's off in the car to Dad's workshop. (He has a big collection of tools. I don't.) The drill press makes VERY quick work of them, the only thing that slowed me down today was a rectangular hole.

Now, I have something special. Something very special. I had the populated board sitting on my desk for a couple weeks, and I spent this morning drilling the box (along with Nautilus and 'verb boxes.)

I spent roughly five and a half hours doing wiring and testing.

HELL YES BABY IT'S A FLANGE WITH NO NAME! (Thanks greatly, Jim, and also credit to the designers!)

This is what it looks like in the box. But that really doesn't give you a good idea of how freakin' annoying it is to wire. (Icecream container as insulator on the daughterboard side.)

There. I put it in the enclosure, measured wire, took it out, soldered the wire in, repeat, about six times. That's a lot of nuts to be doing and undoing.

But.

But.

But.

It fired up first freaking time! First pop, no issues! (Apart from forgetting to plug the guitar in, but that doesn't count.) Took maybe two minutes to set the regen and bbd bias, now I'm off and laughing.

I know what I'm going to be doing Sunday afternoon now :D :D :D

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

:thumbup: good stuff. got a drilling diagram done up for the Doppleganger, want a copy of it before I centerpunch through it?

couldnt get the power jack up top, measuring up all the parts, its down to the mm, with everything touching. so i'll live with it down the bottom
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I trust you, just leave something of a gap between parts if you can :)

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

Must be time for a family shot? You are a machine at churning these out, well done
b.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

Snarblinge wrote: You are a machine at churning these out, well done
yes he is. and getting quite a collection of homemade pedals and amps 8)

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

Had the working board kicking around the bench for a few weeks. It was in that youtube video I uploaded, on all the time. I drilled the enclosure at the same time as the Flange box, then inked it up and worked on the Flange while I waited for it to dry so I could cover the ink with clear nailpolish (sturdy as hell.) The original plan was to have this in a box with a De Profundis delay with tap tempo, but the delay and tap board is not working.

I tried to go for a rushed-scribble, 80s schoolbook kinda look to it. With the Indian Ink, that's not too hard. (Play to your strengths!)

I'm biased here, but I think I'm getting better at wiring. Buss wire for the stomp makes things a LOT easier (I have no patience for stripping wire!) The power jack only just fitted in, might have to go higher next time, plus I'm not convinced that the mono jacks would have fitted in the same panel.

How does it sound? Well... the Rub-a-dub is a grab and go reverb, but this is more a tweakable thing, you can dial in faint oscillation at the end of the Feedback dial, and you can play with the tone pretty nicely too. Grindcustoms did a good job dialing this in!

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

sweet, nice sounding reverb that.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

If you are not going to use batteries consider switching to the tiny 9v jacks I have some, banzai, effects connection pedal parts I think mammoth, all stock them, but so does mouser and either element or rs. I can look up where I got them from if you are interested
b.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by alanp »

I know about those... I mainly use the sockets I do because one, they're cheap, two, I can get lots from Tayda :) and three, they're externally threaded, so I can take them out after soldering them into the circuit. At the moment though it's chiefly because they work and I'm not worried at all.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3573 times
Been liked: 732 times

Post by Cdog »

Nice soldering and wiring on that tenebrion :)

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

just drilled out the enclosure for the Doppleganger (DoubleGangbang? :lol: )
are they always this bad for the burrs/flashing left on the ejector rings? :wtf: