Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Building my own fuzz pedal??

Post by Hollowpoint »

I've been lusting after a fuzz factory for ages, keeping an eye on ebay/trademe etc but haven't found one (even a vexter one) that I'd be able to get here for under $400! So I thought maybe I could build my own (or something similar) + I thought it'd be a fun thing to do and I might learn some things along the way...
I've found the schematics n' stuff and it doesn't seem overly complicated but I have a few questions:

1. I've never really done much in the way of electronics (other than a bit of soldering and fixing guitars over the years) am I biting off way more than I can chew?
2. Will I be able to source the parts in NZ or can you recommend somewhere offshore to get em?
3. Would I need a custom PCB or could I just use perfboard (or whatever it's called)?

Thanks for any help!!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Building my own fuzz pedal??

Post by Rog »

Its all quite easy to do, especially if you purchase a kitset. However, in my experience, unless you have some gounding in electronics etc you will become frustrated when it doesn't work first time - this is not uncommon.

I'm not saying don't try it - just be aware that there are many ways of stuffing it up.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Hollowpoint wrote:I've been lusting after a fuzz factory for ages, keeping an eye on ebay/trademe etc but haven't found one (even a vexter one) that I'd be able to get here for under $400! So I thought maybe I could build my own (or something similar) + I thought it'd be a fun thing to do and I might learn some things along the way...
I've found the schematics n' stuff and it doesn't seem overly complicated but I have a few questions:

1. I've never really done much in the way of electronics (other than a bit of soldering and fixing guitars over the years) am I biting off way more than I can chew?
2. Will I be able to source the parts in NZ or can you recommend somewhere offshore to get em?
3. Would I need a custom PCB or could I just use perfboard (or whatever it's called)?

Thanks for any help!!
PM a member here called FuzzieBro, he can build all sorts of nice fuzz designs he was doing kitsets too. I have a NOS TS808 on the way now.
Also Ryan at Custom Audio Boutique has a Mi Audio Neo Fuzz for $285, it has two NOS germanium chips and loads of tweaking options. I tried it out yesterday, It would be hard to beat for classic fuzz.

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Hollowpoint »

Hey, thanks for the quick replys - I'm not really looking to buy a different pedal - I already have a Red Witch Fuzz God - more just trying to work out whether trying to build one is a good idea or not.

Anyone had any experience ordering from Small Bear Electronics?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

if I can make pedals anyone can :lol:
I have a wee graveyard of failures along the way, but it's still definitely doable, and yes you'll prolly learn something along the way (I have, but am still very much a n00b).

for parts I tend to source mostly from futurlec.com.au (primarily cos the price incl delivery beats NZ stores unfortunately, and also cos the pots that turn up usually are nice and clean as opposed to stuff off nz shop floors [DSE and jaycar pots I've found scratchy and wanting])
they don't do the 2.1mm insulated DC jack you'll need, but DSE do (jaycar also don't)
they also don't do the 3pdt switch and enclosures, but jaycar do
Ryan at CAB also does the 3pdt switches.

etching PCB can be a bit of a test, so vero is prolly an easier place to start, but if you're happy to mess with chemicals
I use ferric chloride, which is non toxic, but will stain the crap out of anything it touches [incl you skin - wear gloves!] and since it is corrosive you need to ensure it isn't washed down your sink.. throwing it in the garden is okay so long as you're not near any waterways (the copper that the feCl strips off is highly toxic to marine life).
you can also render it inert by adding sodium bicarbonate and again bury it in the garden, but I just reuse mine and any I ditch just goes in my back yard.
US sites that also have good delivery and prices is effectsconnection.com and pedalpartsplus.
if you're looking for gurus, the our local FuzzieBro is certainly the man, but there's also a bunch at freestompboxes.org.

go on - do it - you may just enjoy it! 8)
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Hollowpoint wrote:Hey, thanks for the quick replys - I'm not really looking to buy a different pedal - I already have a Red Witch Fuzz God - more just trying to work out whether trying to build one is a good idea or not.

Anyone had any experience ordering from Small Bear Electronics?
smallbear have a great name amongst pedal builders on the web, however I had terrible service from them and will only use them as a last resort. ymmv.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Hollowpoint »

Awesome, thanks I think I'll give it a go

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

Like Rocklander said most of the parts are available through various suppliers. The only problem is if you want to get into the "Mojo" type components (Germanium transistors for example) which are difficult to get hold of anywhere. If you stick to Silicon transistors there are heaps of different types easily available so you can easily (and cheaply) swap in a few different types to find the sound you like.

For a first build a Fuzz Face is pretty easy to build on vero (strip) board so you don't even have to etch a PCB. Here's a link to a vero layout for a silicon fuzzface by Dragonly: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... 1.gif.html

Rob.
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Hollowpoint »

Thanks Ralley, I think i might have a go at the fuzz face first to see if I'm up to it

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Hollowpoint »

Anyone know a good (and reasonably priced) source of AC128's? Or a good replacement/equivilent?

Effects Connection has matched pairs of them for $25us! - with the current exchange rate and postage I'm looking at over 60 bucks just for my transisitors! Doesn't really make sence making your own pedals at these sort of prices!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Silicon - Makes a nice pair even better.

I would use transistor sockets and plug in some plain old silicon transistors to start with. Maybe even try one one the silicon fuzz face variants that don't rely on germanium madness. Thats what I'm doing, anyway. Sili-face and Tantalus fuzz. You can probably get AC128s unmatched a lot cheaper, but you'll have to buy a bunch and match them yourself anyway. Maybe Fuzzie Bro can sell pairs rom his stash? I wouldn't expect he would. With sockets you can easily try out whatever transistors you can get.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Hollowpoint »

Thanks... do you think a pair of BC108's would be suitable?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Yep, there are versions of the factory Fuzz face that used those. I think General Guitar Gadgets has a couple of versions documented.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

Check over on the diystompboxes site for Ge transistors, there are some posts there from a user named "any", he was selling matched sets of Ge transistors for much cheaper the $25 US - he's in NZ so shipping is cheap plus he cut me a good deal. The sets I bought off him are excellent.

Be pretty careful if you are trying to buy Ge through ebay or the like - heaps of fakes and heaps of really leaky (i.e. useless in a FF) out there. AC128 are particularly dodgy as that is what so many are after.

Rob.
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon