Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

handlefras
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Recommend me some diy goodness

Post by handlefras »

I was attempting to demo my GGG phase 45 against the Lovepedal Vibe which is reputedly the same circuit but with the uni-vibe mods, but the battery in the phase 45 was flat :cry:

Anyway I found the GGG phase 45 a little subtle for my likings. It just has less range of speed and depth compared to my EHX small stone. If you want to experiment with some crazy sounds, it isn't the pedal to get you there, but for a vintage sounding, fairly subtle tone it is what you would expect. I tried different FETs in there and think I matched them pretty well using a circuit from R.G Keen at Geofex, it just refuses to be anything other than subtle.

Let me know if you do go down the Phase 45 route and I might be able to help if there's any issues...
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

mop
Fender
Fender

Post by mop »

Yeah I thought the 45 would be a little too subtle for my tastes. The ross phaser is rather small stone ish sounding apparently so it should be cool. Just got to order some bits now :D

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

mop wrote:Yeah I thought the 45 would be a little too subtle for my tastes. The ross phaser is rather small stone ish sounding apparently so it should be cool. Just got to order some bits now :D
I've seen somewhere that there are 3 types of phaser basically
OTA based; optical based; FET based.
the phaseXX are FET
the SmallStone and Ross are OTA
the Phozer is optical.

could be that if you like the smallstone/ross it's just you like the OTA type more.. I think I do, but my smallstone had such sever volume drop it was useless to me really.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

mop
Fender
Fender

Post by mop »

I looked at the smallstone too but the warning about the vol drop put me right off so I figured the ross was the way to go. Time will tell :lol:

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

the ross is a smaller board too IIRC, so it is an easier fit .. I remember the SS as humungous
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

My Phase45 is about as subtle as it gets.... it does NOTHING!

You get more phasing from wiggling a cheap cable :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times

Post by handlefras »

Agreed, small stone vol. drop is annoying. I havn't had a good hunt for a mod for it yet, but surely there must be one. The Pearl phaser I have has an appreciable volume gain, which makes it just as annoying... also a real tone-sucker since it isn't true bypass.
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

Apparently the small stone layout found at tonepad has the volume drop issue fixed already.
Rob
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

ralley wrote:Apparently the small stone layout found at tonepad has the volume drop issue fixed already.
Rob
that's the one I used.. still is too severe for me to use live.. course, I may well have cocked it up as it was one of my earlier efforts.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass