Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Good (cheap) multimeter.

Post by Lemmings »

Can anyone recommend a basic multimeter to help me with some basic effects building / guitar wiring etc. I'm not 100% on what I should be looking for. I know I need at least something that does continuity so that I can check the shielding on my guitar.

If I could get it somewhere local (Auckland) or through trademe that would be a bonus.

Thoughts?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Good (cheap) multimeter.

Post by Rog »

I normally prefer Fluke meters.
Its like instruments, buying good quality is normally the better way.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2271 times
Been liked: 3962 times

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:I normally prefer Fluke meters.
Its like instruments, buying good quality is normally the better way.
+1 Cheap <> accurate
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

in the pedals I've built a cheapie has been fine... continuity and that the components measure within cooey is all I've needed.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... rm=KEYWORD

or if you want capacitance (although porlly not so accurate down in pF)
(plan on getting myself one of these ones.. I've been using one not unlike the first)
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

Wow. The Fluke models look good, but i'm not sure if I can justify that kind of money :cry: I'm only putting together a couple of basic pedals and wiring a guitar at this stage. I'll keep them in mind though.

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

rocklander wrote:in the pedals I've built a cheapie has been fine... continuity and that the components measure within cooey is all I've needed.

or if you want capacitance (although porlly not so accurate down in pF)
(plan on getting myself one of these ones.. I've been using one not unlike the first)
Now THAT is more in my price range :lol: I might be popping into Jaycar this week so i'll go have a look.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I was skint a while ago and bought a digitech from jaycar, its good for continuity but forget anything on the lower ranges i.e. mV's, as it doesn't actually read zero to begin with ;) Oh and the on/off button broke within a week, took it back about 3 times then gave up in the end, just put up with it. If all you want is continuity, an led, resistor and a battery will be cheaper still, just as accurate and just as reliable ;)

Oh and my last Fluke, true RMS and very accurate, lasted me over 15 years, probably still going strong - though I'd have to ask the bastard that pinched it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

JAYCAR.
Digitech QM 1535 - cost me about $30 4 yrs ago, does everything and accurate.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

BG wrote:I was skint a while ago and bought a digitech from jaycar, its good for continuity but forget anything on the lower ranges i.e. mV's, as it doesn't actually read zero to begin with ;) Oh and the on/off button broke within a week, took it back about 3 times then gave up in the end, just put up with it. If all you want is continuity, an led, resistor and a battery will be cheaper still, just as accurate and just as reliable ;)

Oh and my last Fluke, true RMS and very accurate, lasted me over 15 years, probably still going strong - though I'd have to ask the bastard that pinched it.
good to know about the on/off..
with that in mind,

this is pretty close to the $30 one I got from the warehouse... mine's been fine, but isn't autoranging... 30 odd pedals and various other projects later.

what the hell are you doing to the buttons BG? hamfisted or what?

how useful is true RMS is going to be in building a pedal?.. where would I use that? serious question.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

rocklander wrote:what the hell are you doing to the buttons BG? hamfisted or what?
Shit components...
how useful is true RMS is going to be in building a pedal?.. where would I use that? serious question.
probably not, I was just saying what the meter was. I wouldn't trust a digitech as far as I could throw it. Having just bought a chinese made fluke which IS accurate down to millivolts and ohms and I'd happily trust my life on it, I only had to throw the digitech as far as the bin.... which hasn't been emptied yet so if you can put up with a shit on/off button that sometimes works its available for free. You DO get exactly what you pay for.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:JAYCAR.
Digitech QM 1535 - cost me about $30 4 yrs ago, does everything and accurate.
good to know... that's the one I linked to, so will prolly go for that too then :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

For most applications close enough is good enough. I worked in an industry where our 4.5 digit meters had to be calibrated every 90 days against a sub-standard, which was itself calibrated against a standard every year. If any measuring gear was dropped it was immediately not used until recalibrated.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:For most applications close enough is good enough. I worked in an industry where our 4.5 digit meters had to be calibrated every 90 days against a sub-standard, which was itself calibrated against a standard every year. If any measuring gear was dropped it was immediately not used until recalibrated.
yeah I just think a meter that reads 15-17mv when it should be zero i.e. not connected, is not exactly going to give me a true reading when I'm looking for about 32mv for valve biasing etc. The digitech meter I have has shit construction and is made out of flimsy plastic, and the ongoing issues with the on/off switch alone would put me off buying another.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

they saw ya coming beeg
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

rocklander wrote:they saw ya coming beeg
They see all their customers coming ;) But hey, I've no problems with Mainfreight :P