SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

stereo to mono box...

Post by SimpleSi »

I'm looking at making an enclosure with parts from Jaycar..

ideally will have 2 mono in's and outs..

for stereo in and out.. ie

Strymon left out and right out can plug into it via patch leads then i can run the box to my 2 amps..

now the twist..

I want to put a switch in that can turn the signal into mono without me having to unplug my patch leads that are in stereo..

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this - so that I can switch the stereo input to a mono output or back to stereo - I'm not always using 2 amps.

I'm curious if I have the switch as a "right signal" cut... or have it let both the left and right join together to output to just the left out for mono.

I'm not sure if option 2 will cause any noise or electrical problems because of both left and right going out 1 output jack or if I'd be better off having it just cut the right channel out (which would probably cut tone because the pedals are defaulted to stereo)

if I sound confusing I'm sorry - this all makes sense in my head...

I can draw up a diagram/picture if anyone has ideas..

Also considering putting diodes in the signal chain so that signals won't backfeed...

Simon
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

stereo to mono box...

Post by Eruera »

Uhhhhh diodes would be bad, the signals are AC.

To achieve this I think your best bet would be using a TRS plug for the right output so that you can potentially spoof the pedal into thinking there is only a plug in the left jack when you're in mono mode (assuming it does the usual thing of looking for continuity between ring and sleeve to tell if there is a plug in the jack)

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: stereo to mono box...

Post by SimpleSi »

Eruera wrote:Uhhhhh diodes would be bad, the signals are AC.

To achieve this I think your best bet would be using a TRS plug for the right output so that you can potentially spoof the pedal into thinking there is only a plug in the left jack when you're in mono mode (assuming it does the usual thing of looking for continuity between ring and sleeve to tell if there is a plug in the jack)
ah of course. AC - i assumed the signal chain was DC..

how would a TRS allow me to switch from mono to stereo?
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

stereo to mono box...

Post by Eruera »

In alot of pedals they use a TRS jack since putting a TS plug into shorts the R and S together. It's this that usually turns on a pedal when plug something in since it completes the circuit. Strymon may be doing some wizardry but I would think the easiest way for the pedal to tell whether you're plugging into both jacks or just the left (mono mode, if it has one) would be to 'look' for the connection between R and S of the right jack that a TS plug would cause. Using a TRS plug you can choose when this connection is made, allowing you to make the pedal think there is nothing plugged into the right hand jack.

It's all based on the assumption that they're determining operating mode this way, but it's where I'd start.

You could always try just ditching the right channel to ground and see how just left sounds (there may not really be any difference between left and right)

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

Eruera wrote: It's all based on the assumption that they're determining operating mode this way, but it's where I'd start.

You could always try just ditching the right channel to ground and see how just left sounds (there may not really be any difference between left and right)
So in theory I could just not have anything plugged into the right output of this box and it would basically divert to mono because of the lack of continuity on the right channel?

Without any switch on place.

Or would you think it would be best to ground/short the right side with a switch.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

stereo to mono box...

Post by Eruera »

You'd need some way of making/breaking continuity between R and S still. Is the BigSky last in your chain? Why not just plug into left only when you're going mono and both when you're going stereo?
Last edited by Eruera on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

http://imgur.com/Vfa9CmH

This is my board.

The last 3 pedals are in stereo

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

stereo to mono box...

Post by Eruera »

That makes it a bit more tricky since the BigSky doesn't have the capability to sum a stereo input to mono output. Do you use any panned delays or anything? If not then you probably won't lose much just taking the left out of the BS when only using one amp. If you really wanted you could make a box that sums the left and right outputs on the bigsky, this could be switchable.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

Eruera wrote:That makes it a bit more tricky since the BigSky doesn't have the capability to sum a stereo input to mono output. Do you use any panned delays or anything? If not then you probably won't lose much just taking the left out of the BS when only using one amp. If you really wanted you could make a box that sums the left and right outputs on the bigsky, this could be switchable.
My flashback delay pans.

Other than that. No.

What do you mean by sums?

I'm guessing you mean joins them at the output to 1 out.

As you suggested I could always just plug the left out into my amp and see if it sounds any different..

Its stereo in.. But with mono out it might work

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

You guys seem to know what you're talking about. Can one of you tell me on a related topic, if my stereo pedals are wired together in stereo (flanger, reverb and a delay last, all in stereo) is it likely to work if I just used a mono return from the delay, because sometimes I use the board with a mono head? These pedals are always in the FX loop by the way. So basically I want to know if I need to unplug all the 2nd patch cables between the flanger/reverb/delay.....? I could always try it out, but just thinking about it while my gear isn't at home.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

cholera wrote:You guys seem to know what you're talking about. Can one of you tell me on a related topic, if my stereo pedals are wired together in stereo (flanger, reverb and a delay last, all in stereo) is it likely to work if I just used a mono return from the delay, because sometimes I use the board with a mono head? These pedals are always in the FX loop by the way. So basically I want to know if I need to unplug all the 2nd patch cables between the flanger/reverb/delay.....? I could always try it out, but just thinking about it while my gear isn't at home.
I think that's exactly what Si's problem is.

Wants to run his rig in mono or stereo without unplugging all the 'right' patch leads.

Hey Si, do your amps have multiple inputs? Maybe you could run both cables to the one amp? Then the amp might just join the signals. No idea if that would work in practice...
Nothing to see here.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

Other than ping-pong delay, you probably won't notice much of a loss if you simply ditch the R channel. Chorus, flanger and reverb add spatial information (simply put the L and R channels sound different so that the output sounds much wider) but no positional information (ie they don't put more of your guitar's signal in one channel vs the other) so there won't be anything missing as such, but the modulation effects often have the inverse LFO waveshape on the second channel so it'll effectively halve the rhythm of the modulation effect (it'll still sound full, but it'll be a noticeably different pace). This will be more with pronounced ping-pong delay and stereo tremolo (depending on the depth) since they are effectively modulating the position within the stereo field (ping-pong delay alternates which channel the repeats come out of and since stereo tremolo is modulating amplitude it's effectively acting as a panner). Best thing to do is just unplug one of the outputs and see if it's a noticeable change and , if so, if it's a problem.

TBH I'd be surprised if the pedals were doing anything clever electronically with the outputs when operating in stereo vs mono so I doubt there'll be a need to do anything special with a TRS plug on the R channel.

If you're building a switch that sums the signals to mono (which is a good plan if unplugging the R channel sounds too different) you might need to build in some attenuation since you'll effectively be adding 6dB to the signal. If you want to get really clever you could build in a 6dB pad (which is just a couple of resistors) that is switched in when operating in mono. You'll just need to figure out the impedances involved.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

benderissimo wrote:If you're building a switch that sums the signals to mono (which is a good plan if unplugging the R channel sounds too different) you might need to build in some attenuation since you'll effectively be adding 6dB to the signal. If you want to get really clever you could build in a 6dB pad (which is just a couple of resistors) that is switched in when operating in mono. You'll just need to figure out the impedances involved.
How would I work that out?

I'd have to have a diagram to solder it together..

My electrical knowledge is just domestic.. Being a sparky and not really a service technician. Lol.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimpleSi »

Miza wrote:
cholera wrote:You guys seem to know what you're talking about. Can one of you tell me on a related topic, if my stereo pedals are wired together in stereo (flanger, reverb and a delay last, all in stereo) is it likely to work if I just used a mono return from the delay, because sometimes I use the board with a mono head? These pedals are always in the FX loop by the way. So basically I want to know if I need to unplug all the 2nd patch cables between the flanger/reverb/delay.....? I could always try it out, but just thinking about it while my gear isn't at home.
I think that's exactly what Si's problem is.

Wants to run his rig in mono or stereo without unplugging all the 'right' patch leads.

Hey Si, do your amps have multiple inputs? Maybe you could run both cables to the one amp? Then the amp might just join the signals. No idea if that would work in practice...
1 input only.

Even if I used the 2 on my fender.. One is high input and one is low.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

SimpleSi wrote:
benderissimo wrote:If you're building a switch that sums the signals to mono (which is a good plan if unplugging the R channel sounds too different) you might need to build in some attenuation since you'll effectively be adding 6dB to the signal. If you want to get really clever you could build in a 6dB pad (which is just a couple of resistors) that is switched in when operating in mono. You'll just need to figure out the impedances involved.
How would I work that out?

I'd have to have a diagram to solder it together..

My electrical knowledge is just domestic.. Being a sparky and not really a service technician. Lol.
My knowledge is pretty limited but I think the input impedance of your amp determines the resistor values. Here's a link to a detailed explanation (working out the K value still makes no sense at all to me but there's an excel spreadsheet part way down).
http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Summing the outputs could result in hitting the front end of your amp harder than you'd like but you won't know until you try.

The first thing you should do is simply set up your full rig, then try various combinations of the effects you use, each time comparing both amps running to just one (either by unplugging the R channel out of the last pedal or turning the second amp down). If that sounds fine, build a switch that disconnects the R channel from your pedals and sends the L channel to both outputs (or just use the left out of the last pedal in your chain when only using one amp). If it's too different, build a switch that combines the L and R outputs from the pedals and sends them to both outputs (or only to the L output). If that is overloading your amp too much, add a pad or a volume control.