Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box! *** Sound Sample Just Added ***

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box! *** Sound Sample Just Added ***

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I thought I'd share my prototype that is my head is the 'Sound Of Rock', the classic '68 Marshall Super Lead in pedal form.

Controls include (top row from left to right):

Blend: Simulates jumping the 'Normal' and 'High Treble' channels. Fully-counter clockwise lets you enjoy the bass response of the 'High Treble' channel. Great for tightening up higher gain settings. Fully clockwise; allows you to experience the full spectrum of bass frequencies. Ideal for fattening up those clear tones.

Loudness: Basically a pre-amp volume control, not much to explain here. Turning it to 11 is recommended.

Sizzle: A variable bright cap that sits across the 'Loudness' control. Turning it up increases the value of the bright cap adding 'bite' and affecting the gain structure of the 'Loudness' control making it very aggressive and quite spanky right out of the gate when first turning it up. Just like the real amp, the more you turn up the 'Loudness', the lesser the influence the bright cap has.

PPIMV: An active volume control that controls the overall output. Not only does it cut volume when turned down, but also boosts the output when turned up. Perfect for adding a little extra 'oomph' when needed.

The bottom row of controls from left to right are the traditional tone controls as found on the original amp. That being Presence, Treble, Middle, and Bass. There is also an internal trim pot used to adjust the high-end response of the pedal in order to dial it in for any given amp.

Just need to design the PCB for it now and think up a name of it.
Last edited by FuzzMonkey on Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box!

Post by jeremyb »

EPIC!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Sounds like fun! Is it jfet based? Looking forward to the demo 🙂

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

"Just like the real amp, the more you turn up the 'Loudness', the lesser the influence the bright cap has."

Oh you know them well. Must get out my plexi 50w for a hearing demolition revisit.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Cdog wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:57 am Sounds like fun! Is it jfet based? Looking forward to the demo 🙂
Mosfets actually. The initial drafts were jfet-based but I loved the ZVEX Box Of Rock so as an experiment I revamped the design to use mosfets instead and never went back. There is also an op-amp for the active low pass filter and the active volume control. A TLC2262, keeping with the mosfet theme.

www.fantailaudio.com

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 pm and think up a name of it.
Unless it's already taken I suspect you've already created the name in the title...

For no rational reason (I don't seem to be able to get on with pedals) I actually quite fancy the sound of one of these, looking forward to the demos

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

sty wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:07 am
FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 pm and think up a name of it.
Unless it's already taken I suspect you've already created the name in the title...

For no rational reason (I don't seem to be able to get on with pedals) I actually quite fancy the sound of one of these, looking forward to the demos
You might be right there. I'm hoping to get some audio clips done soon.

www.fantailaudio.com

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Hi Blake. From a selling viewpoint, can you orient the pedal "portrait" to save pedalboard real estate, maybe use smaller knobs on the bottom row and it would be a shame to waste the footswitch space by not putting in a boost switch or secondary volume level - although that would require another knob somewhere... Cheers
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Conway wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:53 am Hi Blake. From a selling viewpoint, can you orient the pedal "portrait" to save pedalboard real estate, maybe use smaller knobs on the bottom row and it would be a shame to waste the footswitch space by not putting in a boost switch or secondary volume level - although that would require another knob somewhere... Cheers
Hi Conway. Thanks for the feedback; I really appreciate it.

I probably should have mentioned it was basically built as a proof of concept without taking any of the practical things you mentioned into account and it is by no means a reflection of my vision for a finished product. I just wanted to get it off the breadboard and into an enclosure as quickly as possible.

I'm planning on having the top row of controls are larger knobs and the tone controls smaller trim-style pots as seen in the image below:

I'll probably make internal high-end trim control external as well. The boost that is currently built into the active volume control could earlier be incorporated into a foot-switchable boost. In terms of the enclosure, the goal is to fit it into a 1590BB with is the same size as a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe.

If you or anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

www.fantailaudio.com

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:14 pm
Conway wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:53 am Hi Blake. From a selling viewpoint, can you orient the pedal "portrait" to save pedalboard real estate, maybe use smaller knobs on the bottom row and it would be a shame to waste the footswitch space by not putting in a boost switch or secondary volume level - although that would require another knob somewhere... Cheers

I probably should have mentioned it was basically built as a proof of concept without taking any of the practical things you mentioned into account and it is by no means a reflection of my vision for a finished product. I just wanted to get it off the breadboard and into an enclosure as quickly as possible.

I'm planning on having the top row of controls are larger knobs and the tone controls smaller trim-style pots as seen in the image below:

I'll probably make internal high-end trim control external as well. The boost that is currently built into the active volume control could earlier be incorporated into a foot-switchable boost. In terms of the enclosure, the goal is to fit it into a 1590BB with is the same size as a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe.

Cool! :thumbup: Make the pedal blue and sparkly and I'll buy it! :D
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Conway wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:01 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Cool! :thumbup: Make the pedal blue and sparkly and I'll buy it! :D
Just name the shade!

www.fantailaudio.com

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I made this short clip this evening to give people an idea of how the prototype currently sounds.

Enjoy!

www.fantailaudio.com

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Re: Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box! *** Sound Sample Just Added ***

Post by Miza »

I think if it's gonna be a 1590BB enclosure, stay with the landscape format. Fits better with other pedals in terms of height, and from a design point of view, it would be hard to get all those knobs onto the PCB in a portrait pedal?

Oh, and use Marshall gold-top knobs. And wrap it in black tolex.
Nothing to see here.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Re: Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box! *** Sound Sample Just Added ***

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Miza wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 pm I think if it's gonna be a 1590BB enclosure, stay with the landscape format. Fits better with other pedals in terms of height, and from a design point of view, it would be hard to get all those knobs onto the PCB in a portrait pedal?

Oh, and use Marshall gold-top knobs. And wrap it in black tolex.
Thanks for the feedback/comments. A plexiglass panel as well maybe? The Mk-2 Drive by Shin's Music out of Japan doesn't leave much doubt about what it is based on. :wink:

www.fantailaudio.com

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Sounds great :)