Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2022

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Now everything is assembled and working, it is time for the final calibration.

The final calibration involves adjusting the trim pots in order to get the blub to react in a way that sounds best. You could argue that the calibration of the bulb is the most important factor in how a Uni-Vibe sounds. Along with having the right LDRs. So maybe 1A and 1B depending on the day.

The two main trim pots that influence the bulb's behaviour are the Bulb Bias and Bulb Offset:

Bulb Bias: Controls the overall brightness of the bulb. Turn it up, and the bulb gets brighter. Turn it down; the bulb dims. So it controls to intensity of the light the LDRs are exposed to.

Bulb Offset: Controls the amount of time the bulb turns off during each cycle of the oscillation. A higher offset means the bulb will be off longer and less offset more the bulb to stay on. This controls the amount of time the LDRs are exposed to the light.

Below: The Bulb Offset and Bulb Bias trim pots.

Both of these controls are very interactive with each other so I begin by setting the Bulb Offset to the default value of 100k like the original and turn the Bulb Bias all of the way down so the bulb will be totally off once everything is powered up.

Next, the speed is turned up to halfway and the intensity to full before slowly turning up turning the Bulb Bias up until there is a nice glow. This is where I plug in the guitar and start dialling things in until everything sounds right. Which, of course, is very subjective but there are a bunch of great-sounding clips on YouTube of vintage units that provide a great reference tool.

This whole process is more of an art than a science. In general, a brighter bulb with more offset gives more throb but since the intensity of the LFO increases as you turn up the speed, a quirk of the design and what gives the Uni-Vibe its character, this might sound good on a certain setting but not so much on others. So I tend to tune things so they sound good across the entire range of speed and intensity controls.

Below: It's alive.

Once everything sounds great, the last thing to do is adjust the LED Bias in order for the external LED to mimic the behaviour of the bulb to provide that visual feedback of the speed and intensity settings.

Below: The LED Bias trim pot.

Now everything is set, it is time for everything to be boxed up in the enclosure.

~ Blake.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by jeremyb »

Looking forward to hearing it!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:59 am Looking forward to hearing it!!
Definitely need to brush up on a few Hendrix, Trower, and Gilmour-style chops.

www.fantailaudio.com

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

interesting setup requirements. Is every unit going to need it's own setup? or are the bulb (and other component) characteristics stable enough that you'll get to a stable general setting you can use as a starting point?

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

sty wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:25 pm interesting setup requirements. Is every unit going to need it's own setup? or are the bulb (and other component) characteristics stable enough that you'll get to a stable general setting you can use as a starting point?
Yes. Every unit will need some tweaking in this way to get it sounding right. Of course, that is very subjective.

www.fantailaudio.com

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Just finished putting this one together after some revisions to the PCB designs.

www.fantailaudio.com

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Elegant. Love the look and top mount jacks 😎👍

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

That looks awesome!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

When can we order one Blake???
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 335 times
Been liked: 212 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I'm happy with my dry bell vibe machine, but I'm willing to offload it to get a Kiwi made pedal. 🇳🇿

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

Is this the start of the queue? I think I'm in the market for one of these! :)

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

Wow that looks so good! Love the colour

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Cdog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:22 am Elegant. Love the look and top mount jacks 😎👍
I'm still convinced that bottom-mounted jacks are way of the future.
AiRdAd wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:25 am That looks awesome!
Thanks.
jeremyb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:38 am When can we order one Blake???
I've got a couple of logistical things to sort out in terms of the parts sourcing first. Once that down, I will do another prototype to see if everything fits together as it should and then I'm planning on doing the first production run of something like 20 pedals to start with. I'm hoping / planning at will be at the end of January next year.

I also need to find someone who can do a nice demo for me. Ideally New Zealand-based.
JoeBlow wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:37 pm I'm happy with my dry bell vibe machine, but I'm willing to offload it to get a Kiwi made pedal. 🇳🇿
I fixed a Vibe Machine not long ago and I was impressed with its physical design. Especially it's use of header pins to hold it all together. An absolute pleasure to work on. Unlike some other pedal that are total dogs. Sounded great too! And was the impetus for me to finally get this project over the line.
vyfster wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:04 pm Is this the start of the queue? I think I'm in the market for one of these! :)
Maybe.
Mosfet wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:58 pm Wow that looks so good! Love the colour
Thanks.

www.fantailaudio.com