Lectric-FX Celeste Chorus (EHX Clone Theory)

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Lectric-FX Celeste Chorus (EHX Clone Theory)

Post by Cdog »

[Image

First build in a long time... this has been on my to-do pile for a few years. Celeste Chorus V1.2 with MN3007.

Sound great, it can pull off classic chorus or crazy warble and vibrato with a very analog sound... (think 'wobbly' LFO and satifying background hiss). Enclosure is a Tayda cream powdercoat, with cream knobs. Amber indicator LED, looks a treat on the pedalboard. Faceplate isn't my work, it was done by Haberdasher from the madbean forum, I scored it a few years ago with the pcb and NOS MN3007. If you're interested, project is from Lectrix-FX, a couple of very talented guys who have quite a few interesting projects. :)

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Re: Lectric-FX Celeste Chorus (EHX Clone Theory)

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Nice one.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Super nice!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Love the EHX style layout! Super cool.
Nothing to see here.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Miza wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:49 pm Love the EHX style layout! Super cool.
The faceplate is cool. I'm wanting to do something similar.

www.fantailaudio.com

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Labelling my pedals is the one thing I haven't figured out a good solution for yet.

Getting screenprinting done at $30-40 a pedal defeats the purpose of DIY somewhat.

These faceplates seem like a good idea; do they just glue in place?
Nothing to see here.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Miza wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:24 pm Labelling my pedals is the one thing I haven't figured out a good solution for yet.

Getting screenprinting done at $30-40 a pedal defeats the purpose of DIY somewhat.

Secured by the nuts and washers of the pots and switches?

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Miza wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:24 pm Labelling my pedals is the one thing I haven't figured out a good solution for yet.

I used to use wet slide decals or dry transfer decals that you'd print out using an inkjet or laser printer depending on the specific type. UV printing via Tayda Electronics is quite popular but you need to design the artwork to specific requirements which is fine if you can use the appropriate software such as Adobe Illustrator for example.

The faceplate on this particular example is in fact the same material used to fabricate PCBs at a fabrication house, the gold lettering is the actual copper they would make up your connections and traces. Pretty easy to do if you know how. Just have to make sure your holes line up that's all. Or, I guess you could glue it in place and use it as a drilling template.

www.fantailaudio.com

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Cheers guys for the kind words! :)
Mattallica wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:54 pm

Secured by the nuts and washers of the pots and switches?
I used double sided sticky tape... + the hardware fasteners :)

Yup it's an etched pcb blank. Really clean job, Keefe is a ninja at these... I don't have the patience.
Enclosure finishing is my least favourite part.
FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:13 pm I used to use wet slide decals or dry transfer decals that you'd print out using an inkjet or laser printer depending on the specific type.
Same here. Laser print slide decals, with a rattle can varnish are probably the least amount of grief for me. We had a fancy laser colour printer at my old place of work, and I had fun with that too. I found some vinyl sticky laser print labels which were quite good! Since moving on I've had mixed results with other printers. But I haven't been building in ages either :)
UV printing via Tayda Electronics is quite popular but you need to design the artwork to specific requirements which is fine if you can use the appropriate software such as Adobe Illustrator for example.
My next build is a Total recall (EHX Deluxe Memory Man clone)... had the pcb and Xvive MN3005's kicking around for about 5 years haha. For that I'm going to venture down the Tayda UV printing track. Will see how it goes! :)

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Cdog wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:27 am Yup it's an etched pcb blank. Really clean job, Keefe is a ninja at these... I don't have the patience.
Enclosure finishing is my least favourite part.

I used to use wet slide decals or dry transfer decals that you'd print out using an inkjet or laser printer depending on the specific type.

Same here. Laser print slide decals, with a rattle can varnish are probably the least amount of grief for me. We had a fancy laser colour printer at my old place of work, and I had fun with that too. I found some vinyl sticky laser print labels which were quite good! Since moving on I've had mixed results with other printers. But I haven't been building in ages either :)

UV printing via Tayda Electronics is quite popular but you need to design the artwork to specific requirements which is fine if you can use the appropriate software such as Adobe Illustrator for example.

My next build is a Total recall (EHX Deluxe Memory Man clone)... had the pcb and Xvive MN3005's kicking around for about 5 years haha. For that I'm going to venture down the Tayda UV printing track. Will see how it goes! :)
I eventually stopped the decals etc as I was the only person using them and knew what control was what.

I'll need to decide whether to go down the UV printing or etched PCB blank soon for my Uni-Vibe project.

I might do a mock-up and see how it turns out next time I send off some PCB designs for fabrication. My only concern is the potential of small imperfections and scratches in the finish and how many rejects there might be compared to what is usable.

I will be interested to see how you get on with your UV printing venture.

www.fantailaudio.com