Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

A/B/Y pedal build

Post by jeremyb »

Since I can't train with my broken toe I've got some time to play around with some ideas I've had, the first is an A/B/Y switch for my two amps using a single momentary footswitch to do the switching.

Aha you say, how will that work? well the idea is to use an arduino and a pair of relays to handle the switching, a quick tap to switch between A & B and a longer tap to do the Y.

Will design and 3d print a custom enclosure for it too to make it extra spesh....

Tonights plan is to get it breadboarded and write the code, photos to follow as it happens!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: A/B/Y pedal build

Post by TmcB »

Ooo that’s juicier than I expected
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Breadboarded and code written to do the AB switching, just need to detect a long hold now and the Y will be sorted too!

Not bad for 15 mins work :lol:
Attachments
FBC118A4-FD34-4BF5-BA25-E805459D51AC.jpeg
FBC118A4-FD34-4BF5-BA25-E805459D51AC.jpeg (4.31 MiB) Viewed 2189 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I've got an Orange Amp Detonator https://orangeamps.com/products/fx-peda ... detonator/. It has a phase shift button on "A" (for phase matching when "C" selected") and transformer isolation on "A" (which negates potential earth loop issues when "C" selected). Both features are extremely useful.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

This library might be of some use:

https://github.com/mathertel/OneButton
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:42 pm This library might be of some use:

https://github.com/mathertel/OneButton
Interesting, thanks!!! I've got the code working now but of course it only switches the long press when you release the button, will check out that library and see if it fixes that issue :mental:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bahhh have to packup for now, will have a play tomorrow :-)

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:56 pm Interesting, thanks!!! I've got the code working now but of course it only switches the long press when you release the button, will check out that library and see if it fixes that issue :mental:
No worries. I'm no expert in terms of coding; I know enough to be dangerous as the old saying goes. But this library makes it SO EASY for something like a relay-driven A/B/Y box it is almost comical.

Are the relays you are using the non-latching type?
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Are you planning on transformer isolating the B out?
Would be nifty to ground lift if needed, also you can have a phase switch is super handy.
These ones from Lehle are nice:
https://www.lehle-components.com/en/leh ... -hz-l.html

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:11 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:56 pm Interesting, thanks!!! I've got the code working now but of course it only switches the long press when you release the button, will check out that library and see if it fixes that issue :mental:
No worries. I'm no expert in terms of coding; I know enough to be dangerous as the old saying goes. But this library makes it SO EASY for something like a relay-driven A/B/Y box it is almost comical.

Are the relays you are using the non-latching type?
The relays have a seperate V+ and GND and then signal inputs for each relay, handily they have NO & NC contacts too :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

blackstratblues wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:25 pm Are you planning on transformer isolating the B out?
Would be nifty to ground lift if needed, also you can have a phase switch is super handy.
These ones from Lehle are nice:
https://www.lehle-components.com/en/leh ... -hz-l.html
I have a dual transformer isolator box if it proves to be noisy, if I ever decide to make something to sell I could add those features :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

BTW the reason I'm documenting this whole process on here is because its to keep me progressing, peer accountability? Seemed like a good idea :-)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

any progress yet?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:34 amany progress yet?
Too much pressure I’ve given up.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

If that library doesn't support it I think I have figured out a way to make the long press work without releasing, at least in my head, just might require some extra state to be stored...